HybridZ

LS2 in the way!

They is no question in my mind after having both motors the LS1 is far superior over the SBC

are the LS motors really all that much better $ for $ over the older style sbc's?? i dont mean to change the subject none but its got me currious a lil... Sounds like your going to have a monster when your done bro... hope it all goes smooth and quick for ya..

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest traub83
They is no question in my mind after having both motors the LS1 is far superior over the SBC

Please explain why tho? cause this may be an idea for me to build one of them over my old school 350 4 bolt motor... but id like some good arguments as to why it is a better motor!

Please explain why tho? cause this may be an idea for me to build one of them over my old school 350 4 bolt motor... but id like some good arguments as to why it is a better motor!

Just my opinion, but after having many SBC motors and now the LS1, you just can't beat modern fuel injection.

No carb to fiddle with, no cold start problems, no engine run on, better mileage, just turn the key and go.

Not to mention all aluminum block and heads for reduced weight in our Z cars, etc. etc. etc.

I sure others will ring in with more.

The SBC was and is a great motor (I almost did a ZZ4 Crate motor instead of the LS1) but I love my LS1!

Not to mention the stock heads flow like crazy (my stage 2 heads flow over 300 @ .580 lift), the computer has so many functions that tunning can be done to every aspect of the engine. It weights about 80-100 lbs less than a SBC. 11:1 CR is ok on 93 octane. There are no gaskets, just O-rings that are re-useable. The stock engine makes gobs of torque and has a very wide powerband. The stock bottom end is good for 6,400 rpm. With ARP rod bolts it's good past 7,000.

Edit, spelling correction.

Guest traub83

But really if you throw a good FI system on a SBC and a good set of heads, the only thing you are really getting better is the light weight of the aluminum block then right?? So honestly dollar for dollar the only difference is the aluminum block when it comes to which would be superrior!

Guest FasterbyFosta
But really if you throw a good FI system on a SBC and a good set of heads, the only thing you are really getting better is the light weight of the aluminum block then right?? So honestly dollar for dollar the only difference is the aluminum block when it comes to which would be superrior!

As he said before, the heads flow way better on the ls series motors. The main downside I have seen is that the parts are WAY more expensive for the ls motors, and that the aluminum blocks cannot handle 600+ hp that well... (not from what I have seen, at least)

Stock to stock, and mildly modified to mildly modified, the LSes WAY outperform the old SBC. But I feel when you get to LARGE HP numbers, the older style motor has some advantages. (Strength being the biggest)

Guest traub83

Hmm.... Well I guess I can see both sides of an argument. I mean we are talking about 1960's technology vs 1990's so I would hope the LS would be more efficient however with all the new parts out there and the new vortec style heads the old SBC can flow pretty good numbers and can create some crazy numbers itself!!

Hmm.... Well I guess I can see both sides of an argument. I mean we are talking about 1960's technology vs 1990's so I would hope the LS would be more efficient however with all the new parts out there and the new vortec style heads the old SBC can flow pretty good numbers and can create some crazy numbers itself!!

I agree with that. One thing I will say though is that I found the LS1 an easy engine to work on. No rocket science, and no Indian head, just O-rings, with the exception of the heads which use a compound gasket material. Comtec makes a re-useable gasket but it's expensive.

One other advantage. If you look at the LS1 from the end you will see the engine is deeper than a SBC. That is from raising the crankshaft out of the oil pan. Also the way the lifters are setup can make them difficult to deal with because you have to remove the heads to get to them.

The stock ratio on the rockers is 1:7 and the oil pump is in the front of the engine and is run by the crankshaft. Alot of work has been done to eliminate friction loss in the LS1. It is truly a high tech engine.

If you do a search you will find a whole laundry list of technical differences between the old SBC and LS series engines. Like said above, the head geometry is vastly improved with the new engines.

The thing that really has me sold on the LS engines is it takes nothing more than a cam and set of valve springs to put a crate LS1 engine over 500 HP.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=100200&highlight=ls1+carb

And from what I understand those are streetable HP. Smooth idle, good vacuum and easy starting.

Try building a naturally asperated, 500 HP first gen SBC. Will be a fairly radical engine for erery day street use.

are the LS motors really all that much better $ for $ over the older style sbc's?? i dont mean to change the subject none but its got me currious a lil... Sounds like your going to have a monster when your done bro... hope it all goes smooth and quick for ya..

I had my chances to choose from 3 different built sbc blocks 383,402, and can't recall on the other one.If you biuld either of this,They can get expensive too.My uncle has many drag cars,From he's experience,I'll say an lsx engine is way more relaible than a old school sbc.

It's not going to be a monster,A little over 400hp @ the rear,Hopefully!

I went with the ls engine cause it gets you high hp and good gas milage.

Most of my parts are on the way,I think this swap should be on the road sooner than we expected.Time went quik enough!

Guest traub83

So pretty much the LS1 is a way better motor to build for one of our Z cars??

So pretty much if i want to build a good street runner with the ability to build some crazy numbers an LS1 is the way to go? 500hp ou of just cam and spring change is nuts!! imagine throwin a supercharger on top of that!!! Have good mileage and way too much power for a Z car lol...

So pretty much my only complaint is motor mounts to drop one in?? I will do a search on here for them however do they use the standard SBC mounts still or are they different??

So pretty much the LS1 is a way better motor to build for one of our Z cars??

So pretty much if i want to build a good street runner with the ability to build some crazy numbers an LS1 is the way to go? 500hp ou of just cam and spring change is nuts!! imagine throwin a supercharger on top of that!!! Have good mileage and way too much power for a Z car lol...

So pretty much my only complaint is motor mounts to drop one in?? I will do a search on here for them however do they use the standard SBC mounts still or are they different??

John's Car's, Inc.,Is the way to go for an lsx swap.(search on this and you will get a link to he's page),

There is lots of info on this page.

The sbc and the lsx motor mounts are different.

Guest traub83
lol good mileage on ls1? compared to what!! at this rate, 1 week of gas cost more than the motor :(

ha ha you gotta agree to that!!!

another quick question as I found johns cars website and I decided that i too will go the Lsx route, just transmission I am unsure which I will use as my car is factory a automatic I donno if I want to cut my floor and hunt down a set of pedals for my Z... My question is this lets say I get my motor and tran out of a 99 camaro, i take all the parts to do this swap and I have it running and all is well... i decide to swap the cam in it. now would I be able to buy one of those diablo or whatever computer program modules that plug into the ecm so I can retune everything still like cam changes, supercharger, fuel upgrades, exe??? if so I def will be running a LSx motor for my setup cause ya just cannot beat the new technology when it comes to this!!!

How do the chevy Vortec motors stack up against an LS1? Both would be fuel injected, both make use of newer technology and improved design.

I know the Vortecs wouldnt make the kind of power the LS1 does stock for stock, but from what I've seen poking around on Ebay you can get a Vortec for about 1k with a wiring harness and ECU. Add in 300$ to ship (or whatever that would actually cost.. I shipped a 4 banger for an old car from Florida to Ky for like 90$..) and you have alot of money left vs an LS1 shipped to play with mods and the like.

Just curious..

ha ha you gotta agree to that!!!

another quick question as I found johns cars website and I decided that i too will go the Lsx route' date=' just transmission I am unsure which I will use as my car is factory a automatic I donno if I want to cut my floor and hunt down a set of pedals for my Z... My question is this lets say I get my motor and tran out of a 99 camaro, i take all the parts to do this swap and I have it running and all is well... i decide to swap the cam in it. now would I be able to buy one of those diablo or whatever computer program modules that plug into the ecm so I can retune everything still like cam changes, supercharger, fuel upgrades, exe??? if so I def will be running a LSx motor for my setup cause ya just cannot beat the new technology when it comes to this!!![/quote']

LS1 Edit. Full tuning of the stock ECM from what I recall.

Guest traub83

I personally like the vortec style heads, I wouldnt see why a vortec would be that bad compared to the LS1 expecially since its roller and is also fuel injected, I only see it bein cast as a downside vs the LSx

J___: Either you really drive a lot or got your engine cheap! My LS1 costs me about $35/week for gas. FWIW my totally stock LS1 dyno'd the equivalent of 365 HP at the flywheel and averaged 19.7 & 19.5 MPG the past two weeks commutiing to work and 'fooling around' a little. 500 Hp would be a walk in the park for this engine.

TRAUB83: For motor mounts and other stuff try www.brokenkitty.com.

You can get your ECM edited at www.chipsbyal.com if you don't want to invest in LS1 edit. If you pull parts out of a '99 Camaro be sure to get the ECM, full engine wiring harness AND the fans & shroud. They fit a 240-280Z size radiator almost perfectly and can be plugged right into the harness for full computer control. See my album for conversion photos, etc.