Track Car Progress, PICS

mark

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

STUNNING CAR! I love the black wheels and orange paint: it all goes together so nicely. You left the right amount of black on some of the body trim, etc, just enough to make it "pop." Great balance.

Hope to see you at some of the car shows in NC. Will you be at Lowes in Oct?

Davy

Thanks guys. It's built to my specs.

I'm 6'4" and I fit well in the car. The guy that built the cage builds cages for high dollar porsche race cars so I'm not real worried about it holding up should the car end up in a wall or on it's top. The seat is so far back to accomadate me that the bar had to run that way to protect my hips.

I may have a few more pics of the car at home but not at work. I'll look around a post a couple more later.

Beautiful car. Are you going to run without rear quarter windows?

I'm not sure I'm on board with your driver's door bars. I would finish the X at least, but the point of cutting out the door is so that you can put the bars into the door, thereby getting them farther away from you. There is also a difference in strength between bars that bend into the door vs bars in a flat plane. If they're in a flat plane and the car takes a hit to the door, it's basically just the welds holding the bars away from your body, and the bars themselves are in tension. If you have NASCAR bars, or an X that bends into the door cavity or anything that angles away from you, then if the bar gets hit it transfers that load to the A pillar and main hoop in compression, which should be a lot stronger. Now it's true you can point to a lot of cars that have flat X's in the doors (rally cars being a major one) and say "no biggee" but after I learned a bit more about it, I was glad that I had my driver door bars bend into the hollowed out doors.

John, We discussed that before the cage was done and since it's just a track toy and will not see real racing, that is the design we setteled on. I know it's a compromise but such is life. The doors are gutted for weight loss. I will not run rear quarter windows.

I call the color obnoxious orange. The painter bought several pints of different orange and that was the one I wanted.

ok thanks do you know whats the widest you can go without adding flares???

Nobody knows the answer to that question, because nobody has ever tried to get the widest tire that would fit without flares. And if they did, they sure as hell wouldn't have posted that information here before. It's a good thing too, because if it were posted here previously, you might have to actually search to find it, just think of how sucky that would be. Searching is for nerds and bookworms.

• Administrators
Nobody knows the answer to that question, because nobody has ever tried to get the widest tire that would fit without flares. And if they did, they sure as hell wouldn't have posted that information here before. It's a good thing too, because if it were posted here previously, you might have to actually search to find it, just think of how sucky that would be. Searching is for nerds and bookworms.

Chyeah, tell me about it?! faint.gifSearching is SO over rated...

:lmao:

Edited by BRAAP

Mark: Really like how your car turned out. What is the air damn constructed of, please elaborate? Noticed the removable steering wheel. Where and what parts did you use for it? Really like your roll cage setup. Is it hand built? Please elaborate.