HybridZ

What color to choose?

pjo046

Well, now the time has come to decide what color I want on my 240Z.

It will have 17 inch konig rewind wheels.

Any suggestions? (Preferably with pictures!)

I am thinking of ferarri red, 350Z gold, black, or silver. Other colors might be good as well. It is just so darn hard to decide... I have thought about this since I got the car several months ago, and still haven't made up my mind... :-)

Guest JAMIE T

They make a 17" Rewind? hmmm...

I think gold would be sweet. My '71 was gold with black ZG flares and front airdam. I liked the look alot.

Something in between perhaps? I don't want it to be overkill either, but it's always nice to be noticed when you have put so much time down in a car. But the most important thing is that the car looks GOOD! I want the best looking color! :-)

A best looking color may be different from one person to the next! I believe you are the only one who can make the color decision.....any input will only be a suggestion or a personal favorite color. You the one who has to live with it! My suggestion is to stick with a solid color and not a metalic!

well,

you can hardly go wrong with a first gen Z car. the body is very clean and well proportioned so certain colours wont make the car look funny from certain angles. Bright metallic colours do really well, greens, oranges :), silvers, charcoals etc. non-metallics are nice but tend to suit a more vintage styled car. with 17s, a more modern metallic colour will match the car better than a non metallic. The exception to this though is black, (think Aux's car) a nice deep black paint job can go well with any style early zcar and tie multiple different styles together on one car. its really all depends of course.

But! as was mentioned earlier, this is opinion and will differ from person to person....there are still people that paint their cars hot pink!

different colours also relay different moods or feelings to onlookers..what do you want your car to tell others? about you, or your vehicle?

Don't feel alone, I'm having the same problem. For the last year I looked for moss green like Roostmonkey's car. When I thought my mind was made up, I came across a metalic green to blue flipflop. I really like the color change, but am kind of worried i'll end up with a car that resembles a ski boat.

First of all - what color is the interior - or is the interior going to be? YOu want to coordinate the two.

Secondly - Do you want to go with a solid color, two-tone, racing stripe(s), or some graphics?

I agree about the metallic colors. Not only are they a bit more modern they have a much more expensive look. My first Z was painted Porsche Royal Guardsman Red - a 944 color with 3 coats of clearcoat. It was an in-your-face brilliant red and very pretty. The one I have now is a '97 Cadilac Eldorado Pearl Red. Not as in-your-face but much richer looking and has some nice transitions from full to partial to no sunlight.

Obvioulsy I like red but There are beautiful shades of several other colors so it's really what you like.

The color "sunset orange", not the "LeMans sunset orange" that is on the 350Z but a lighter orange that was used on the 240Z's.. I love this color... I like the look of the 432R, very classic... Orange with a matt black hood(to reduce glare) and black wheels (I am having my 15" turbo swastica wheels powdercoated black with polished lips and centercaps) and a black rear bre style spoiler... and if you feel snazzy, paint the airdam black and add ZG flares(also in black). My father likes to call me a "ricer" because I like this scheme.. (those ricers trying to knock off the carbon fiber look) but hey man, the 432R was a serious car in JDM land.

What it boils down to is that everyone has a style they like... one man's perfect color scheme could be another's nightmare.

350Z Lemans Sunset would be nice, or for even more pop, the new Dodge Charger Daytona "Go Man Go" orange would be sweet. Also, I really like the dark gray of the Acura TL that they use in the commercial where its driving through a big puddle. All of the above with satin black stripes/accents would do it for me.

Guest ON3GO

NO on the BMW Steel grey.. cuz i have that on my Z.. :)

im really getting into this whole painting/color matching thing and from what i think, i think more flat, pastel colors look better on a Z. Ugly colors that wont look good on a Z in a flat tone look REALLY good on a Z with a metallic tone.

Acura makes some great colors, so does newer land rovers... check out some of there cars on the net and see what colors jump to ya.

most of there colors are metallic though.

BMW makes more flat based colors, so does chevy and ford.

mike

NO on the BMW Steel grey.. cuz i have that on my Z.. :)

hmm, that's what color i'm going to have my '78 280 painted. my 240 is painted bmw titanium silver, and had the tail light surrounds and the front fairlady grill painted the bmw steel grey. i liked the color so much it's going on the 280. bmw colors are great8-) my suggestion would be a silver or dark blue color.

that subie is beautiful. seems a lot of people are doing gunmetal... doh! mine is honda "athletic gray" with various pearl added to the mix.. in the sun its absolutely stunning, but otherwise it just looks plain. looks very similar to the new Lexus RX330 gunmetal color (flint mica)

anyway, go with what best suits your personality. but if i had to choose a color for the early Z, i'd say go with a nice dark metallic color such as green, blue, maroon, gray, or any shade of silver as long as it has plenty of metallic in it.

good luck!

Things to remember:

Black (or any near-black) will show up any body imperfections, and gets

dirty really quick.

Silver tends to blend in on the roadways, acting as a sort of camouflage.

Drivers of silver cars tend to have people pull out in front of them more often.

I had some friends rent a silver Chrysler Pacifica, and I drove them to pick it up. On the way back, we hit a thunderstorm, and I had a real hard time keeping sight of it in heavy rain.

Of course, Ferrari red is also known as "Arrest Me Red".

I'm not trying to be pessimistic, just trying to let you know some disadvantages. I'd relax, and soon you'll come across a color you know is

right.

My problem is that everyone who sees my Z likes the gold color that it currently is, everyone except me, granted its a soft gold with black interior , blacked out windows , chrome rims, but while it does look somewhat nice I suppose, I would like something that jumps out as well as something that will look good with white dual racing stripes.

I plan on pulling the bumpers, adding an air dam as well as rolling the rear , adding a spoiler, not sure if the BRE or a wing as I have a wing in mind that I think is going to look pretty sharp, the exhaust exits from a dual header just in front of the rear wheels, chrome block like tips that are approx 9 in and rectangular in shape, 215-50-15s but as far as the color right now Im not satisfied with the gold ( champagne) , every so often it looks pretty good to me but Im just not totally sold on it.

Red seems to be out , but every so often I think I might like it Ferrari Red , then Chevy makes a LeMans Blue for the Vettes that is nice and would look good with white stripes, the BMW gray in the pics above is nice as well, yellow enters the picture from time to time, not too wild about a two tone , man this is a hard decision to make, like I said from time to time the champagne looks pretty sweet , but it just seems like the car needs something.

HELP