HybridZ

Yes I am now turbocharged

HadesOmega

Yep I finally have turbo FR action now! I blew the headgasket on my stock L28 so I decided to just buy a L28ET with the ECU and harness. I was originally going to just turbocharge the stock engine but it'll never pass a smog check in cali since its a 76 [:(]. Anyway it was my summer project and my first full engine swap. If it wasn't for zcar.com and hybridz.org forums I don't think I couldn't have finished it properly (I'm a dunce when it comes to wiring) oh and of course the S30 and S130 Haynes manuals too. Even though its a basic swap that didn't require any or much fabrication it was a good learning experience.

It runs now, its just still got some small bugs to work out like the speedo doesn't work right now O_o' but its running pretty well. I haven't gotten to drive it much though because after I had the exhuast installed one of the rear wheel cylinders blew and I lost brake pressure. So its sitting in my driveway awaiting a rear disc conversion. Here's some small specs on the engine.

Its a L28ET from a 82' 280ZX turbo.

165 psi compression!

Boosts 7 psi stock (for now [:P])

Stock T3 Turbo

2.5" turboback exhuast (maybe I shoulda went 3")

Non intercooled for now

RX7 front mount oil cooler with a cooleradapter from a auto 280ZXT

I plan on increasing the boost to around 10 psi and install an intercooler, EGT gauge, turbo timer, 1G blowoff valve, T3/T4 turbo. Wahaha so not only do I have 3 different driving platform cars at my house they all are force fed ^_^ Turbo Eclipse, Supercharged MR2, and Turbo 280Z. Another cool thing love is that it doesn't really look any different than it did b4 (cept the big *** oil cooler), that is until you hear the turbo spoolin mwahaha.

The full album and project are on my imagestation account (its LONG) at:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2122963601

f3052669.jpg

f3050dc5.jpg

f3050dca.jpg

f304ed30.jpg

f304ed5a.jpg

f304d8d2.jpg

f304d8e2.jpg

f2bdcea4.jpg

f2bdc8eb.jpg

f2bdd05a.jpg

f2bdcead.jpg

f2bdbc93.jpg

f2ba6cc9.jpg

f2ba6c75.jpg

f2ba6c7b.jpg

Yep I finally have turbo FR action now! I blew the headgasket on my stock L28 so I decided to just buy a L28ET with the ECU and harness. I was originally going to just turbocharge the stock engine but it'll never pass a smog check in cali since its a 76 [:(]. Anyway it was my summer project and my first full engine swap. If it wasn't for zcar.com and hybridz.org forums I don't think I couldn't have finished it properly (I'm a dunce when it comes to wiring) oh and of course the S30 and S130 Haynes manuals too. Even though its a basic swap that didn't require any or much fabrication it was a good learning experience.

It runs now' date=' its just still got some small bugs to work out like the speedo doesn't work right now O_o' but its running pretty well. I haven't gotten to drive it much though because after I had the exhuast installed one of the rear wheel cylinders blew and I lost brake pressure. So its sitting in my driveway awaiting a rear disc conversion. Here's some small specs on the engine.

Its a L28ET from a 82' 280ZX turbo.

165 psi compression!

Boosts 7 psi stock (for now [:P])

Stock T3 Turbo

2.5" turboback exhuast (maybe I shoulda went 3")

Non intercooled for now

RX7 front mount oil cooler with a cooleradapter from a auto 280ZXT

I plan on increasing the boost to around 10 psi and install an intercooler, EGT gauge, turbo timer, 1G blowoff valve, T3/T4 turbo. Wahaha so not only do I have 3 different driving platform cars at my house they all are force fed ^_^ Turbo Eclipse, Supercharged MR2, and Turbo 280Z. Another cool thing love is that it doesn't really look any different than it did b4 (cept the big *** oil cooler), that is until you hear the turbo spoolin mwahaha.

The full album and project are on my imagestation account (its LONG) at:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2122963601

looks nice , but i hate that muffler...

I love it!!! Welcome to boostaholics anonymous :)

Its always the same story' date=' 7psi for now, 10 later, intercooler, then 14 then....

Congrats on a job well done.[/quote']

haha yeah I know how boost addiction feels, went through the same thing with my eclipse =P. Its like its pretty fast but it can be faster...

aww rice if anything it needs more rice haha. But I would agree that a Z looks good stock. I think the shiny muffler goes well with the chrome bumpers. I'm still debating wether I shoulda got a 3" is there really much of a difference. Its a little too quiet haha. I kinda miss the caged animal sound of the open downpipe.

Nice Work!! Good Blue..but buff it out. Yeah... you'll wanna ditch the J pipe soon I hope for a sweet chrome IC :) Safer for higher boost and that'll set off the front end.

BTW: EVos have a front mount IC sprayer to spray a mist on it. Do you think that is just a wiper fluid pump and special nozzle?

thanx, funny thing about that blue. Its not stock blue at least the hood isn't, it looks like the previous owner painted it using a paint roller haha. It looks nice on camera but its really dull and chipping if you look at it up close. Next summer my project is to repaint it midnight blue.

• 3 months later...

Very nice! but the one thing that stands out to me, a 1976 car has to pass a smog test? I've never been to Cali. but WOW! my 78 is just like the old days in Maine, they do a safty check and thats it. How far back in years do you have to go to not have to get a smog test?

ahh yes smog check you say. Well I'm having registration problems with my car. I was deployed to Iraq for a about a year and apparently the DMV thinks I sold the car to someone. I had the car stored somewhere and I still had the title with me. So they got me running around on temporary registration.

anyway 75 is the last year the rolling smog stopped before damn arnold stopped it grr. One year and i woulda been home free -_-

so now I have to take it to a smog referee and have them inspect it. As long as its bone stock and pass emissions they'll certify it and you can smog it it at any station.