63%

512 ft-lb

$314.00

OR ... since it is a daily driver should I just go out and buy the

Heavy Duty Pressure Plate w/ Modified Street Disc Kit

63%

400 ft-lb

$358.00

I also wanted to make sure.. I have a 1977 5-speed transmission, and I did a search and found out some trannies have dis-engagement problems. Will my clutch fork and master/slave cylinder handle the new pressure plate?!

are there any other mods I should know about before I order it as in driveability and modifications I need to do!?

Im hoping drop the tranny and install the new clutch within an afternoon since i just did the swap a few months ago.. but the clutch is slipping already.. N/A clutch and turbo = clutch eatin alive

I would get the street disc with the heavy duty pressure plate. I would also go and find a turbo flywheel and buy a turbo clutch. It is 15mm bigger and makes a world of difference. If your slave cylinder or master cylinder aren't in great shape then the heavy duty pressure plate will make them go out right away or faster. If in question I would get a slave cylinder and swap it out while your done there. I think they are $20 from most parts stores. That way you don't have to drive home in 3rd gear because you can't shift:twisted:

Guest bastaad525

I would definatley suggest you AVOID the 6-puck disc for a street driven/daily driven car, unless you are putting out MASSIVE amounts of power. I ran one of those on my built up N/A motor for about a year and I HATED it. The pressure plate made the pedal WAY too stiff, and the clutch was very chattery, and ended up chewing up my flywheel so badly that after about 20,000 miles, the rivets in the center of the clutch disc had started to contact the bolts holding the flywheel to the crank. That was in an N/A motor so I never did any abuse clutch slipping like I do with the turbo motor... just rev it and drop it.

I believe it was Jmortensen from these boards who pointed out to me that the pressure plates abilities are much more important than the makeup of the clutch, when it comes to torque holding power (again, until you start making really big power). He recommended a heavy duty pressure plate paired with a stock clutch. I thought... "no way is that gonna work..." I mean... I'm making something like 270-280hp and 340-350ft lbs of torque at the crank.

But I followed his advice... went with a Daikin heavy duty pressure plate from a Nissan P/U truck, and a stock clutch disc... not even a nissan brand one, just some off brand :D

Well, let me say I have abused this setup HEAVILY... doing many hard launches where I would slip the clutch at 3000-4000rpm to help build boost 'off the line'. I've had it in there for I think close to a year now, not sure of the miles but probably close to 8,000? I know... not a lot but still... it has held up fantastically, it hasn't slipped once under hard acceleration.

Other advantages: it was cheap, total price for the pressure plate, clutch disc, and throwout bearing was about $130.

It's VERY comfortable, MUCH better than when I had that 6-puck. The pedal is only a little more stiff than stock... getting stuck in traffic is no longer a litteral pain in my leg that would cause me to limp the rest of the day.

It's much easier to actuate... just like a stock clutch... no chatter.

Did I mention how cheap it was? Depending on what your end goal is for powre, I would definately recommend the Daikin PP over the ACT PP... I think the ACT one is quite a bit more expensive.

Guest bastaad525

I just don't understand why anyone would even recommend the 6 puck clutch when a much cheaper and smoother alternative is right there in front of you.

of course it really depends just how much power you're making or PLANNING on making... but really this combo I'm using now should be enough for almost anything you might be able to accomplish with the stock T3. I've even had it up as high as 15psi which I estimate was probably about 250hp and at least 310ft lbs of torque TO THE WHEELS, and not once has it slipped on me even with 'just' the stock clutch disc. And I've tried... oh I've tried... many many hard launches slipping the hell out of it to build boost before taking off, also I've done the test where you cruise along in like 4th gear, then rev the engine real high and drop the clutch and see if it slips but it always grabs perfectly (engine slows to proper RPM pretty much instantly).

Well... I'll say it one more time...

$130

stock driveability

no chatter or premature flywheel wear

will hold AT LEAST 300 crank hp / 350 ftlbs of torque

-or-

$314

very stiff pedal

lots of chatter (at least until you get used to it and your leg strengthens up)

A chewed up flywheel within a relatively short amount of miles

will hold lots more power than you'll probably ever need it to = overkill

seems like an easy choice to me.... *shrug*

Guest bastaad525
Bastaad you have a very good point...

when I was just browsing around to look at the Daiken PP specs I could not seem to find a good source.

Where did you order yours from?!

I bought it from some clutch place that was very local to me. I don't know that he'll even know the specs, like torque holding capacity or whatever, and these guys don't even have a website. Anyways you can give them a call if you like (heck, I dont even know for sure if they ship... I just walked right in and bought it).

All Valley Clutch

818-994-3860

Ask for Thomas

It would be interesting to know what the specs on the PP are... I mean I have NO idea what's the max torque it's rated for.

By the way, you don't necessarily have to run the Daikin... not sure about cost but of course there are other heavy duty pressure plates out there that will work just as well with a stock clutch disc.

Oh yeah btw I forgot to mention Daikin and Exedy are the same thing, if I remember right. There is some information at http://www.daikin-clutch.com, also on this page: http://www.daikin-clutch.com/products/sports.shtml scroll down about halfway, to "single plate organic" that is the setup I bought. It mentions there that the PP has "Increased clamp loads give the necessary capacity to handle modified engines" and "The driveability will be like a stock clutch. Pedal efforts will be higher because of the higher clamp loads"... I would say the pedal is a bit stiffer than stock but not by much and not nearly as stick as the ACT. You can also find an extensive list of Daikin/Exedy distributors there so can probably find one local to you.

Guest bastaad525

yeah I've said it before, Cygnus' sig is the PERFECT anecdote for what you can expect from an ACT 6 puck. After a lot of time with it, I did finally get good enough (and my leg strong enough) to where I could leave a light w/o the chatter. But in traffic that thing would KILL me, and I would stall the car out pretty often with that clutch.

i think when he says 'nascar clutch' he's referring to the fact that it's very on/off in nature... you can't really slip it very much at all.

I'll tell you another thing... I'm not 100% sure that the clutch caused it, but to this day (nearly a year after I got rid of it) I get funky pains in my left shin and calf that I never had before I ran that clutch. No joke!

LoL.. thanks guys...

I never expected soo many replies!!

I think I will go out and order the Daiken clutch.. its nearly half the price of the ACT and it seems like the ACT clutch is way too stiff for a streetable car.. esepcially with my daily drives downtown to school in Denver traffic *shivers*

LoL.. thanks Bastaad for the suggestion..

my only worry.. it's the quality of the clutch disc is crap.. and it will fly apart..

but if i buy a Daiken pressure plate, and ACT street clutch disc... i'll be ok =)

but I'll try Daiken out