HybridZ

Portable Garages

mikeatrpi

I'm considering buying a portable garage from harbor freight to store my Z for the winter. I hope to also use it as a paint booth. Right now the car has been primered with epoxy primer, but since I store my Z outside year-round, I'm planning to spray color in the spring. If the portable garage is a good idea, I can paint now and not worry about the car over the winter. I live in the northeast, and yes it will snow on the portable garage.

The alternative is what I've been doing up to now... covering the car with a heavy duty tarp. Its never had a great body until now... so it didn't matter. I'm worried the tarp will damage my new paint.

Thank you for any advice you might have.

My thought is that once you get the car painted, whether now or later, you're not gonna want to put the heavy tarp on your new paint, so you might as well get the garage now. That way it's one less NE winter the car has to endure with a tarp AND snow covering it.

Thanks for the tips. Here's a link to the model in question: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42211

I'm particularly interested in hearing from someone who owns a portable garage. And if the HF one is sufficient or of poor quality and a waste of money.

Edit- seems like the HF web site is being updated. I have a flyer listing it for $159 on sale. Its frequently $179 on their web site, currently showing $279.

I bought a portable garage to build my Z in originaly! I did all the restoring/rebuilding and body work/primer in there, but towed it to a shop to get the paint sprayed on it. After 6 months of work going on in there, it was quite dirty and a bit cramped, and IMO would have made it imposible to get a nice paint job. It was also in the back yard, right next to a neibour's house.. I don't know if he would have liked the paint fumes/overspray venting out of my garage directly onto his house! (rattle can primer is one thing, a compresor and paint gun is a bit much..)

And if you're gona have snow on it, make sure you get one that has a fairly durable (thick, maybe water proof/resistant) cover, that will allow the snow/ice will slid off of easily. Mine is not bad, but every week or so I'd go out and check on it, sometimes pushing gently from the inside to knock the snow off the roof. This can create another problem though, as the snow and ice off the roof falls directly on the sides. In my case (northern-ish Canada) I had to 'dig it out' on the sides twice last winter, as the walls were starting to get pushed in, and I woried that the covering would rip under the weight and I'd have a snow drift in there!

EDIT; That one (link) is very similar to mine, and I'd say it's a good buy. Mine has lasted 2 years now (harsh winters and hot days in the summer) with no major issues. Looks as though it's good for at least another winter before I'll have to replace/repair the covering. Only thing I'd make sure of is that the frame is METAL and not plastic. My boss just got one to store his argo/bike/lawnmower/ect and it's flimsy plastic. Almost blows away in strong winds, and I'm tinking it'll probly be shot after a winter..

note for californias: pretty much NO temperary garage will meet CA paint booth standards, and painting in such an enviorment and being caught would be a HUGE fine, maybe even more than the value of the car to begin with. So it's not something to gamble in CA.

Primer is a totally different story. Usually legal to spray as long as it's not on public property.

If you go portable garage I would suggest in having filted positive air flow through it. not some thing like a tornado, but just something to move the air out while moving filered air in.

When there is going to be frost out side (low humitity), heat the incoming air a little, then stop heat for a while, then stop the air and close the garage off (sealed). This will ensure that the there will be minimal amoint of dust as well as humitiy.

Global warming is weird. East coast winters are way worse than Alaskan winters now adays.

Do yourself a favor and contact "Cook's Portable Warehouses". They are basically stick built (just like a house or better) moveable, and come in a lot of sizes including a Barn Loft type like I have. They deliver them as you custom order, can be paid up front or a pay as you go plan, etc. and are cheap. I have a few with bathroom, stained, glass, brass, lofts, cedar, etc. They are great and you can take them with you if you leave. I will be ordering a 14' x 32" barn with loft type shortly.

They are here on the internet. Good luck.

Costco has one similar to what you are looking at for $129.

I would not recommend them for any areas that get alot of snow. My friend had one and we gaot a good bit of snow and the sucker caved in in him. The round dome types can handle the load better.

I bought a nice 14' X 20' garage from this place. Cost $6000 delivered and set up.

http://www.leonardusa.com/carpts.html

Here are some that a google search came up with.

http://www.instantgaragesales.com

http://www.instantgaragesales.com

http://www.bettymills.com/shop/categories/list/Storage_Sheds/Instant%20Garages.html?source=google

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=portable+garage&btnG=Google+Search

Good Luck.

Costco sells everything lol.

$6000 is a lot of money, one would be able to get there car painted for less than that, depending. But you would get a portable shed/garage for more then just for a paint job.

I guess it sound reasonable, but I would spend money elsewhere on the car, but thats just me.

$6000 is a lot of money' date=' one would be able to get there car painted for less than that, depending. But you would get a portable shed/garage for more then just for a paint job.

I guess it sound reasonable, but I would spend money elsewhere on the car, but thats just me.[/quote']

Sure $6000 is alot of money for a garage but I doubt I could have had one built for less that offers so much. This one has Vinyl siding that matches our house, a 25 year roof, pressure treated lumber for the floor, joists and beams, 4 windows, a roll up door, a walk through side door, came wired for electricity, has fluoresent lighting and electrical outlets installed and a workbench. Delivered and set up on site. If I ever move, they will come and move it for me within 100 miles for $500.

Garage_021.jpg

My 510 stays nice and dry in there too. The ramps fold up and can be stored inside the garage so noone is going to steal it too easily either.

The Z resides in the 2 car garage attached to the house.

I do not know where you live, but in Arizona those canvas garages do not last a year. The sun breaks down the fabric and the wind does the rest. You might want to look at one of the metal car ports that Home Depot sells for less than $2000. You could enclose the rest of the sides with fiberglass panels.

Can you park a car on a wooden floor?

Why wouldn't you be able to?

Also, Gollum,You must be a "fed" because you are mighty concerned about legal engine swaps and compliant "back-yard" paint booths. Totally opposite of what MOST gearheads are. I mean, I'm not saying I do illegal things or anything:icon29: Good on ya for being "square" with "The Man". Nothing wrong with that.

"Must be a fed......". For some reason that strikes me as one of the funnier lines I've heard in a while. I can just see the report on CNN now...."Fourty-three Federal ATF agents raided a Harbor Freight portable garage today in a search for illegal painting activities. The raid was accomplished with a minimal loss of life."

The floor in my Garage is made of 3/4" pressure treated plywood and that is nailed to 2"x8" pressure treated joists that are 12" on center and they sit on doubled up 2"x8" beams that are 6 feet apart. Very strong. They said it could hold up to a 10,000 pound vehicle.

I just think it's funny he always brings up regulations when the majority of "car guys" do whatever they can get away with.

LOL, yea... i'm a fed

Well, when your friend's dog gets killed becuase the cops 'thought' he was dealing drugs you might have a different look on some things. Anyone who's ever had a car stolen knows what it's like that split second before you see your car in your parking spot. It's the same idea, I've known TOO MANY PEOPLE who have gotten busted for stuff the did or didn't do.

The truth of it is that I hate the political side of california. They're 100% about legistlating 100% of everyone's life. They want more and more control to "better OUR lives". Talk about BS. If I were in any other state I'd be working on something that would probly land me a big fat ticket in CA, but in this dumb state you get fined $500 a cast for being caught without a fishing license.

Honestly though, I don't making comments about what's legal/illegal beucase I want people to fallow the rules, I just want people to know the rules before they break them. I've done my fair share of illegal things, many of them involving computers, and I'm of the belief if you can't see the line to bend, why bend it? Half the fun of doing something illegal is the thought that if you got caught you could really test the knowledge of 'the man', like taking a true 15MPH turn at 30 becuase the speed limit is 35 and someone seems to have torn the 15mph turn sign down, figures eh?

So like I said, just make sure you people know what rules you're breaking before you break them, because that's the first step in avoiding being caught.

PS That would be funny if I WAS a fed eh? Well, rest at ease, i'm too young to work for the government. In fact, only 2 months ago I couldn't aply for a job at guitar center...