HybridZ

Lowest gears..

HarrisonTX

well then your in luck, pretty much every Nissan/Datsun product running the r200 ran a lower ration than a 4.11:1

most Z's from 75?-89 ran the long snout R200, with 3.54 being the most common ratio and 3.7 being a bit more rare but quite popular, search around you'll find all sorts of applications and ratio's

the 4.11 is from an 85-86 200sx turbo i believe, just adding.could a 4.33 be made by matching the ring from a 3.9 (has 39 teeth) tot he pinion of the 4.11 (9 tooth). Or did i just commit the biggest sin in my mind (mixing ring and pinion sets)

That is indeed the biggest sin. if there were a 4.33 from the factory that would be great, but there is not (to my knowledge anyway) and the 9 tooth pinion would have would not mesh properly with a 39 tooth ring gear, resulting in the quick and total destruction of both gears.

Nissan did make 4.44's and I believe some shorter gears like 5.17. Nissan Comp can tell you what is available. Mixing rings and pinions is not a good idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an opinion - My solid roller SBF is geared at 4:11 and it doesn't begin a good pull until the 3500-4000 range. But with the light weight of the Z, I have no problem with the lack of low-rpm torque even at 2K. Highway RPM with a road-track geared 5-speed transmission (5th gear is .80) is 3K at 70 MPH. I wouldn't want it to be geared any lower.

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

Too Bad Those 4.375 Gears Are So Expensive.... Thats Half What I Paid For My Lsd With Install And Shipping.

Anyway, The R33 Skyline Gts-t Have A 4.36 Ratio Rear But They Are Short Nose R200's.... But They Are Mechanical Lsd's

Remember, that is a new ring and pinion set. It's still half of what a new ring and pinion for an R200 is from Nissan... This is the first time I have even seen a set of 4.375 gears for an r200.

Of course I would not have a use for them anyway, but perhaps on a short autocross course with an na car...

• 1 year later...

I just pulled the diff out of my future race car(SCCA prod) and low and behold an R200 with a 4.375 gearset, ran great around the neighborhood, no whining!!! It is welded though. Problem is that I can't/don't want to run anR200. So, my dilema is that I need an R180 with either 4.11 or 4.375 gears in it. I wonder if someone out there might need an r200 and would be willing to swap?:wink: