HybridZ

2+2 or 1+1?

Guest grimlynsan

Guest grimlynsan

Hi,

I have a 77 260z 2+2. I want to drop in an RB25DET. The car will predominately be used on the street but i want to go to the occasional drift day. Would it be better to find a 240z for drifting? Do they drift better than 2+2s?

I dont think either have the chassis or suspension adjustabilty to be suited to drifting.

Buy a hack S13 like the rest in Australia, at least there are heaps of aftermarket parts to help you, it will perform the task better and you wont be hurting a 240Z ;)

Im no "purist", fitting an RB30DET into my 260Z, however unless you are prepared to spend $40k doing the conversion properly and getting the suspension and brakes setup and chassis stiff enough to handle the punishment just so you can slide into a wall, I wouldnt do it.

Guest grimlynsan

I just want to know whether or not the longer wheelbase, wider track, and extra weight in the back would assist or hinder a little sideways action.

I plan on keeping the 2+2 as well should I get the 2 seater as sometimes I need the room. Plus then I will have two Zs and thats better than one!

Guest grimlynsan

I will never own a car that isn't a Z!!

Even if i have to convert one into a station wagon one day to accomodate my growing family!

Has that ever been done i wonder?

It would look strange. A four door Z?

I will never own a car that isn't a Z!!

Even if i have to convert one into a station wagon one day to accomodate my growing family!

Has that ever been done i wonder?

It would look strange. A four door Z?

It has been done. Ernie (RacerX), I believe, has a few pictures of a concept car. It looks a bit goofy, but refreshingly different. No four doors though, just the two.

!M!

Guest grimlynsan

I've had been driving FWD Point A to Point Bers for years before a friend of mine showed me his 280zx. It was around the same time I got into motorsport and tuning etc. I went and bought an 81 280zx rust bucket. I had fun in that car and with no money to restore it i just kept it running. About that time i really got into the reseach and fell in love with the s30s. My dream is to never sell my current car '77 260z 2+2. Its been restored now and apart from a few basic upgrades (CDI ignition, 4-pots, vented discs etc) is nearly stock. Its not quite ready for the track yet. My plan (i'm starting a well paying job soon) is to find a reasonable example and start from scratch with a view to driving it everyday to work and going to the occasional track day (non-competitive) to try my hand at a little drifting.

This is why I ask whether I should be looking for a 2+2 or a 2 seater.

I love Z cars and don't ever plan on owning another car (by choice).

If you are going to drift get something with an S130 chassis (ie: 280zx) so you can install an S13 Rear Subframe and maybe reduce the amount of rear squatting. Sure they are 200kg's heavier than the 240/260z but you can compensate that amount of weight with power.

Also, did the 240/260z come with power steering? I'm not sure but i can tell u from experience that power steering is very handy when drifting.

Guest grimlynsan

i'm attached to the S30s so thats out of the question. You just cant compete with the style of the S30. I don't want to go crazy with it (installing subfames etc). I just want to use the power of a mildly worked RB25DET combined with fully adjustable koni suspension setup or something like that. I don't wish to compete, just have a little fun.

I thought there would be a straight answer to the issue as to "whether or not the longer wheelbase, wider track, and extra weight in the back would assist or hinder a little sideways action"

I thought there would be a simple physics-based answer!

I planned on puting in a power steering unit when I do the conversion

• 2 weeks later...

I'd definatelly take an S130 over an S30. The S30's small size and very little body over the rear tires will make it hard to setup for drift (but i'm sure you still could)

You're looking for balance. I'd look into what the guys with mustangs are doing to thier cars to drift, because they're not doing bad on the formula D circut and they start as very front heavy cars.

Personally, I'd go with the 2+2, even though I don't like the looks of them as much. It'll give you more versatiliy for weight distrobution. I'd get your car weight stock and find out what the distrobution is.

Guest furrybarry

A noble project grimlynsan.

I'm definitely not a fan of the stretched limo look of the LWB +2, but the increased wheelbase makes it a bit more controllable when the arse is hanging out.

The longer pendulum effect, plus smoother front to rear weight transfer under trail braking or power whilst entering or exiting a corner gives slower but more controllable oversteer. Dump it on rock hard, low rider rear suspension, pump the rear tires up to 50psi and prove that +2s are good for something, I reckon.

I have never really seen a 240z-280zx 2+2 setup for drift. i would think the fact that your damn near sitting on the rear wheels would make drift a little harder to learn then in a 240sx or one of the other Popular drift cars. You want my opinion.... build something else.