HybridZ

Whose got the slowest V8z?

So with a 327, with a cam and some nice heads, and lots of aluminium, and a t56, i should get real close to 12's im thinkin

240Z, 2800lbs w/o driver?? (that's what the scales said!)

327, 9.7:1

pocket ported 461 camel hump heads

Comp Cams XS274S-10 solid flat tappet cam, 1.52:1 rockers

Holley Hi-rise dual plane intake

700 Holley TBI with with Pro-Jection 4D ECU (definitely not an optimal tune)

HEI ignition

Hooker block hugger headers

2.5 inch mandrel bent duals with X-pipe and 2 Dynomax Hemi Super Turbo mufflers

Tremec 5spd

3.7 LSD R200 and CV shafts

255/40-17 Toyo RA-1s, 20psi

temp in the 50s F

Green Driver

60 foot time: 1.945

1/8 Mile ET: 8.272

1/8 Mile MPH: 86.66

1/4 Mile ET: 12.784

1/4 Mile MPH: 110.43

So yeah, 12s are possible with the 327 and a 5spd. :)

http://forums.hybridz.org/member.php?&do=vehicledetails&userid=7799

Corzette, yeah, it's that speed at the other end that eats up all that additional power. I think it's going to be easier to go from 90 to 100 mph at the end of the quarter than to go from 115 to 125 mph.

I think jap tin has a point, it's not about flow numbers in the books guys. I've built some motors with Brodix heads and I have a 454 BBC with brodix heads. The 454 makes 450 actual dyno Hp and over 500 tq with a really mild cam. Some heads with lower actual flow bench numbers can make more HP, Grumpy may have some enlightenment that he could share with his wealth of experience here. Although for the shopper, your likely to have a better engine if you go with the better numbers. Small differences in flow numbers usually don't add up to big differences in HP or TQ. Besides, I don't think there is anyone on this forum that can match Jap Tin's all motor HP right now, so he's talking with a big stick. Although I'm thinking the SB2.2 could be "the" platform for the next Hybrid Z and is my next motor of choice.

Are those heads the newer G2 heads from TFS? They look really nice! If your going to dump them cheap I'd buy them too.

Dr hunt - about that 454 with Brodix heads... where those the Race-Rite heads, by any chance? I just purchased a set, with CNC chambers. They do require a little bit of blending on the intake side, but otherwise look pretty sharp. You mentioned "mild cam" - was that a flat-tappet hydraulic? Very notionally, I'm hoping to improve on the torque and hp numbers which you mentioned by going to a moderately aggressive mechanical roller.

AFR210s all the way.....

These Trick Flow heads are a really nice head' date=' probably good for 400 HP easily. I just bought this set that are still in new in the box sitting on my desk here, Except for this one I took out to inspect and take pics of).

Trick Flow 195 CC intake Kenny Duttweiler signature series, CNC combustion chambers with the 1.47†springs good for up .540†lift, NEW still in the box. I’m considering selling them as I am seriously considering a more radical cylinder head for my current V-8 project. These heads are the Summit part number TFS 30400002-CNC. They came with screw in studs and guide plates 2.02â€/1.60†Stainless valves as well. Very nice looking heads for sure. If I wasn’t wanting something more Race oriented, I would definitely run these heads, (And I still just might do that any way). These CNC chambers are GORGEOUS! The castings are very nice and clean, comparable to Edelbrock as far as casting quality goes. In looking at the ports where they meet the valve seats, as cast, the transition is very nice, I see no reason to pocket port.

If I do sell these TFS heads, it is a toss up between the GM Fast Burn and the AFR 210 Race Head…

Decisions decisions…

[img']http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/BRAAPZ/ChmbrMedium.jpg[/img]

Gotta love these chambers…

ExhMedium.jpg

Exhaust looks pretty good as well. Seats blend into the ports VERY nicely as cast…

IntMedium.jpg

Intake ports are very nice and clear, showing studs and guide plates as well.

Yup, you guessed it Brodix BB1's, checking the paperwork, the intake port clean up has already been done. I think these are a little larger than the race rite heads, like 310 cc intakes or so, 2.25 inch intake valves. The story goes; My buddy raymond had a 70 chevelle SS 454 with numbers matching LS6 motor, alum heads, 400 turbo trans, 12 bolt posi. Did a frame off resto and had the rear end rebuilt by currie, the trans redone and I took the engine apart and he sent it to nickens bros. to get bored, crank turned, rods resized, heads done with new guides, valves, springs, retainers. He had ordered the engine kit through them to restore it as it was factory, I believe 450HP, but Nickens said that they could get a hydraulic flat tappet that would be better for the street than the solid that it had in it. Well, went to pick up the parts and low and behold the alum LS6 heads were nowhere to be found. Raymond about kicked some butt right then and there. Soooooooo, Nickens says it'll find some LS6 alum heads to replace those and fix them up right. 6 weeks later they call, can't find any, probably not for the cheap price they wanted to pay anyway, so they offered the Brodix heads and to dyno the engine for free in exchange. Raymond agreed and voila there they are. I install it in the chevelle, he then sells it 6 mo later, the buyer wants nothing to do with the engine, he pulls it and it sits in the floor for 8 years now collecting dust.

Although I'm thinking the SB2.2 could be "the" platform for the next Hybrid Z and is my next motor of choice.

Are those heads the newer G2 heads from TFS? They look really nice! If your going to dump them cheap I'd buy them too.

Damm it Dr. Hunt, don't force me to build a real motor. :-)

****, Jap tin I'd like to have the one your about to throw away. Well, all motor has always appealed to me, I don't like bottle babies!!! Forced induction is nice,but the challenge is to build all motor, any takers? Besides, if scottie added 2 more cylinders, he'd be barking 8's all day.

I haven't heard anyone talk sb2.2, but it's my guess that it'll be the next "new" hybridz engine. Parts are becoming available to the general public and your looking at some serious HP, say 750-800 on gas, 850-900 on alky. Can you say 441 cubic inches of set your butt in the seat.

I'm going to go to try to get to phoenix or Ennis and see if I can lay down a mid to high 9 on motor. The 406 isn't all that much, 262/270 dur with .645 lift, 1.5 rockers, AFR 220 heads, Victor E, Lunati pistons, Eagle 6 inch rods, Eagle 3.75 stroke crank, dart block. With more cam, better headers, more carb, maybe bigger heads, I think it might do a high 8, but nowhere near your mondo numbers. Car weighs too much, 2750, I think I remember yours being around 2300

I saw a S30 Z out at sacramento raceway running 14.3s. When I asked him if anything was wrong with his car he got really pissed off at me. Hopefully he doesn't cruz this board as i might get some nasty PMs. I don't rememeber his name though. It turned out he was a friend of a friend of a friend, so i felt REALLY bad about the whole ordeal. If I had known he would have reacted that way I would have simply asked what mods he had.

Weather the car wasn't running right or the guy didn't know how to drive I never found out. But it sure sounded sweet.

There was also a blue L28ET Z there, but they were having mechanical issues (can't remember what). They said they where in the hight 12's.

If you're mainly interesting in drag times i'd say SBC is the way to go. Cheep reliable power, and faily easy swap by comparison to most other motors.

I guess I've got the slowest Z. 74 260Z, 350 4 bolt block, .030 over, not sure of the cam specs but it's a mild crane cam, dished hypertuetic(can't spell or pronounce that) pistons, factory aluminum intake and a camaro 5 speed tranny. 15.50's

The driver was somewhat of a novice and he was trying not to break the car since he didn't really have permission to take the car out. I think the shifting was part of the problem but the skinny 14" tires are probably another. The carb has also not been really working right. I think mid 14's are an easy possibility but that's about it without making some major changes.

Louie.

• Administrators

I’m a bit wishy washy about selling them as I’m on the fence about going with a bigger cylinder head,, in short, yes I would sell them. I’d let them go for $1175 and that would include shipping to anywhere in the lower 48. These are the TFS 30400002-CNC, I paid $1299 for them from Summit.

Paul Ruschman