HybridZ

People with dash caps, question inside.

Bimmerman

my last 240 had the full face cover from MSA, current one has the 1/2 cover (the way I bought it).

Both fit well, but the full cover was much better, and properly installed, you wouldn't know it was a cover unless you looked very closely. Easy to install.

What year is your car? The 240 Z's had about 3 different manufactures of the dash. All 3 vary slightly at the round chrome air vents on the far right and left. I went to the junk yard with my dash cap and found a dash that fit my cap. It looks great now. Before I did this, I had about a half an inch difference at the cap and dash interface at the vents.

Guest tony78_280z

ripped mine out of a junk yard. Cost me $10.00 looks a hell of alot better than the old dash. My dash was so cracked I had to cut away at the ridges in the split to get the cap to fit right. Nobody notices it is a cap unless I tell them. Great buy for $10.00

I got mine in a junkyard too, $10. I used a bunch of bricks wrapped in towels, spring clamps to keep mine in place while the glue hardened. The only place that you can noticibly see it is the end of the dash, when the doors are open. Nice to know that cracks are a thing of the past

I ordered mine from victoria british today, I can wait till it gets here.

I ordered mine from MSA years ago for my then 260Z. It was a full cap, looked great, and fit nicely. You could not tell it was a cap at all. I followed all the instructions to a 'T' and then some. Take your time and do it correctly ONCE. That's all you need...

Davy

• 1 month later...

I got a full cap form BV for my '83zx and used large zip lock bags filled with sand to hold it down until the adhesive set. Han to cut back the sides of the cracks to allow it to lay flat. The original dash was really bad. Fits pretty good but you can tell it is a cap around the guages.

I also have installed a full dash cap in my 1970 240Z and as most have mentioned....you can't tell it's a cap unless you look close at the ends of the dash when the door is open. I think the key to a good installation is to obviously do it with the dash removed from the car and take the time to test fit the cap as many times as necessary to insure a good fit. Sometimes you may have to trim a little here and there. Also, follow the directions when applying the adhesive and once the cap is in place and the adhesive has been applied, use duct tape to suck it down to the original surface.

Guest ramseylaz

bought one from msa a couple months ago didnt fit my dash exactly right, i didnt really have any cracks just worn out,so tried the dash cap only to use the glue/weatherstrip adhesive they give you, but weights on to hold it checked in morning and the cap came right up didnt even stick, guess it was a faulty tube of adhesive, went to auto zone bought some headliner adhesive worked much much better.Hope this helps