HybridZ

What do you think of this air compressor?

heavy85

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=207226&R=207226#productinfo

I've been searching around a lot and know that 230V would be better and 60gal would also be better but several things are leading me to look at this compressor. First it's an IR rated at continuous duty so it should last me forever and it's compact (out of garage space), it's two stage, it's relatively portable (wont be in this house forever), I dont have 230V in the garage :(, and since I wont be doing any bodywork type high flowrate stuff for a year or two (...or three???) I'm thinking I could always add an external air tank down the road if needed. So what do you guys think?

Thanks

Cameron

Do you have any room in your garage rafters?

Not exactly - the garage ceiling is the updstair bedroom floor.

Jon - so do you recommend this one or is it too small? I do like the quiet aspect so I dont wake up the kids at night (see first comment).

Thanks

Cameron

PSI: 5.7 CFM @ 90 PSI; 4.9 CFM @ 135 PSI

Those numbers arent really the greatest for using air tools. Deffinetly wont keep up with things like grinders, paint guns, or sanders.

Running a 220V is not really that big of a deal. Do you know anyone who knows electrical? You can buy a compressor from Home Depot that is bigger, 2 stage, and has a higher CFM rating for the same amount of money but it will be a 220V. I personally wouldn't buy it because I don't think you will be happy with it. I was using a 3HP/10 gallon compressor and it was an absolute dog(I now have a 5hp/70 gallonvertical tank/2 stage/17.x CFM/175 max psi Snap-On compressor). It had the same CFM rating and max psi rating as that compressor but it was only a single stage compressor. It might keep up with some air tools but I have found that having a decent air compressor is just one of those things that you should spend good money on rather than having to buy one again later because you didnt make the best decision to begin with.

That's my $.02 :-)

Guy

Could you build a 'closet' outside your garage that is well insulated (for sound) and thereby house a 'real' compressor. The price seems very steep, probably because of the IR sticker; but, for less money you could get ALOT more compressor. Any oil lubricated unit will be relatively 'quiet'...I said relatively. Lowe's sells Kobalt units. Harbor Freight sells General. Home Depot sells Husky. Personally, I would go with Kobalt or General based soley upon the cfm specs..IF I had to have a new one. I bought two 60 gallon vertical units (independently) off http://www.craigslist.org Very good deals, one is an IR and one is a Sanborn (older commercial duty unit bought from a body shop). I detailed them both, some minor motor 'tuning' and I think that I am pretty much into them ($$) at less than the ONE that you have book marked...possibly a little over, but not much.

Just some food for thought. Also, while you may not have big bodywork plans, nothing sucks more than an inadequate compressor. When it is running the entire time that you are out in the garage trying to catch up. I have learned that with TWO overpriced Craftsman units. CFM is critical in a good compressor. And if you are already anticipating that you will be in another house in the future, why not skip the reselling of this compressor to get one that has more balls later.

Looks like a nice compressor, but if you plan on doing any paint / bodywork I'd pass on it for one with a larger tank.

Like others have advised, there are less expensive compressors out there with bigger tanks and better flow rates. They might be a bit louder, but making a plywood cabinet lined with carpet will dampen all but the loudest compressor noise. And do you really NEED continuous duty? Even under fairly heavy use, my 50 gallon tank unit charges up three or four times an hour. 25% maybe?

I hear what everyone's saying but am still a little torn. The reason I'm looking at IR vs whatever the hardware stores happens to carry is durabilty. I think the IR will last a lot longer but dont have any data to back that up. The reason I pointed out continuous duty is the same reason - it's designed to run all the time without overheating or other issues so it should last a long time. I also am still thinking if I need more capacity down the road I could always add on an additional external air tank.

Thanks for the feedback.

Cameron

I have a cheapo 20 gallon oilless compressor that a friend gave me. I've moved it from house to house 5 times now, which is why I haven't ponied up for a 60 or 80 gallon 220V one yet. I don't know the duty cycle on mine, but I just run the compressor all the freakin time, and it's held up to my 8 years or so of serious abuse. I'm not worried about breaking it in the slightest. If it did I'd go buy a bigger one. If you eventually want to go big on the compressor, you might think about getting a cheapo unit to fill the gap. I simply couldn't have done many of the projects that my little crappy compressor has gotten me through, so IMO something is much better than nothing. Mine still has a price tag of $180. I'd say it's definitely paid for itself.

IR is great. My next compressor will be a two stage IR. Currently, I have a Campbell Hausfeld 6 hp 230v unti. It is the 60 gallon tank. Coincidentally, you can get a Husky at Home Depot for the same price as your IR. Actually cheaper I believe! My CH is 13 years old now. Whatever you decide, a minimum of 10cfm at 90 psi is what you are looking for.