HybridZ

Rebuild Half Shafts?

rudypoochris

Hi, I was jsut wondering from peoples experiences if it is better to simply order rebuilt half shafts off autozone or kragen or if its best to have NAPA just press in new U-Joints? Also this is for a 240z running the 87-89 300zxt CLSD so 76-78 280z manual transmission half shafts would be the perfect ones to order (if i went through autozone or kragen) correct? (I remember reading all half shafts are the same though...)

I can't imagine the aftermarket "rebuilds" using anything stronger than what you could buy to rebuild your halfshafts yourself (and I believe all the U-jointed halfshafts are the same part). I'd look at the cost comparison between rebuilt vs rebuilding. I'd also go a step further and look at the cost of upgrading the halfshafts (to the popular CV conversions posted many times) in comparison to your current plans. It's highly likely that once you've made "hybrid" status, the U-joints halfshafts will have a short life.

Just replaced UJ in my '77 Z and cost $185 with glass bead and repaint using Spicer's. Thought about CV retro, but will wait 'til Winter and do the stub axles mod as well, all for about $950.

From my experience and looking at the metal from broken ujoints. the stock original u-joints are the strongest out there. if you can get a complete axle set from a junkyard that are still good I'd go with them instead of installing suposedly stronger solid spicers. Its all in the metal and the "new stronger" spicer ujoints broke alot quicker then the stock ones did for me atleast . and when they did break i compared them to the stock ones and the metal looked different.

I wish i had taken some pictures of the difference.

Hello this John with JNJdragracing. My brother built half shafts for our car and we have not broke any in awhile. The stock joints from datsun / nissian are the stronger than the replacements we know this from our trial and errors. Contact my brother jerry@jnjdragracing.com and see if he would build you some half shafts like we are running, or sell you a pair. We estimate we are pushing about 750hp running 9's in the 1/4 5's in the 1/8 with stock modified shafts.

Hi, I was jsut wondering from peoples experiences if it is better to simply order rebuilt half shafts off autozone or kragen or if its best to have NAPA just press in new U-Joints? Also this is for a 240z running the 87-89 300zxt CLSD so 76-78 280z manual transmission half shafts would be the perfect ones to order (if i went through autozone or kragen) correct? (I remember reading all half shafts are the same though...)

I was just discussing this in another thread: "Anybody ever try Advanced Auto's half shaft?"

Jon posted a photo of a disassembled halfshaft in this thread and I was wondering something as I looked at the ball bearings and plastic spacers:

Wouldn't it make the halfshaft much stronger if you substituted additional ball bearings for the plastic spacers?

It would add a lot more steel in those grooves...right?