HybridZ

Fiberglass Interior Door Panels

DavyZ

Hey Davy...I assume the fabricator "Pete" is taking account the spacing to fit the larger speaker into the existing cutouts in the doors? I orginally had 4" speakers in that space...I'm excited to see how this will turn out...

The speaker mount is raised a bit (and even a little tilted toward the driver/passenger from the door frame. The beauty of this is that the speaker magnet (not large at all) barely resides in the door itself! He showed up the other day at my place with a 510 panel that I could look at and a Sony X-plode 6.5" already mounted. The magnet stuck into the "door" less than 1/2" max. I'm confident the panels will look good and be sturdy enough for whatever 6.5" and 1" tweeter you want to throw at it.

I'll update when he has a set done that I can photograph and put up in the thread. It's taking a bit of time since he also has a family and works a 'real' job on the weekdays.

Davy

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 71ZZZZZ
The speaker mount is raised a bit (and even a little tilted toward the driver/passenger from the door frame. The beauty of this is that the speaker magnet (not large at all) barely resides in the door itself! He showed up the other day at my place with a 510 panel that I could look at and a Sony X-plode 6.5" already mounted. The magnet stuck into the "door" less than 1/2" max. I'm confident the panels will look good and be sturdy enough for whatever 6.5" and 1" tweeter you want to throw at it.

I'll update when he has a set done that I can photograph and put up in the thread. It's taking a bit of time since he also has a family and works a 'real' job on the weekdays.

Davy

This is excellent news! Seems like the concept is coming along, hope it won't be hard to adapt to the 240Z door. Are you keeping a list? - just want to make sure I'm in the order queue, thanks Dave!

I'm interested too. Just to clarify, $200 for a pair of fiberglass door skins?

That's right, about $200 (I'm trying to convince him of even less, but we'll see) for a PAIR of skins. You'll have to finish them with upholstery, paint, CF, or whatever.

This is excellent news! Seems like the concept is coming along, hope it won't be hard to adapt to the 240Z door. Are you keeping a list? - just want to make sure I'm in the order queue, thanks Dave!

We'll see just how long it takes for him to make this mold--that's where the time is really spent. Once a good mold is made, popping out the panels should be relatively easy (and quick) to do. Gelcoat is our friend.

Davy

• 3 weeks later...

So, I finally got the other Z in the shop. All that waiting around to have time for a flat bed truck to help get it on the loading dock and I just drove it up the loading dock ramp. I had like 1.5 inches on either side of the car but it fit. So Davy, I can get you those 280 Z panels from the 78' that I have. I can't wait to see what these panels will look like. Thought I would update. I'll PM you too.

Davy, count me in as well. (early) '74 260z.

Maybe I missed it but how will the skins be attached to the actual door? Same way as regular panels? Or is that up to the buyer to make/decide?

I would also like to see some pics..! Please keep us updated.

thanks,

Igor

Davy' date=' count me in as well. (early) '74 260z.

Maybe I missed it but how will the skins be attached to the actual door? Same way as regular panels? Or is that up to the buyer to make/decide?

I would also like to see some pics..! Please keep us updated.

thanks,

Igor[/quote']

The way the panels will affix to the car is the owner's choice. If you like the way the stock ones attach, you'll have to epoxy the fasteners to the door. I would try some more modern plastic ones from an automotive paint & trim shop.

Keep in mind that the 240Z is the first run and we'll see how successful that is in terms of quality of product, etc. I know there is a market for them, but they have to be made "right" or else they will be junk.

The difficulty in making them is the fact that the door panels are not completely flat, and actually bend around the top into the upper portion of the door. This requires a special or more complex mold than a 510 mold, which is completely flat. This is taking a bit longer than expected, but what the hay.

I went to Pete's shop and looked at his 510 flares, panels, molds, etc, and was pretty impressed since he learned most of it by trial and error. He seems to know what he is doing, so I'll leave him be, but I did mention to him that there are members that are anxiously awaiting their panels. We'll see if he can make a successful mold...

I need to get the 280Z panels from innerware before too long *arg* I'm just busy at the moment. I'll deliver them to Pete shortly after picking them up.

Davy

This threads been here a while but I hadnt really looked it over until now.

I have to say, this has seriously peaked my interest. Count me for a set at 200$ - thats not a bad price at all. I would have thought something considerably more.

A couple quick questions -

The doors will be "blanks" but will all the required holes be pre cut? (door handle, window handle thingy, etc).

The blanks will be devoid of any molding other than the speaker mounts correct? Pretty much completely flat and bare, minus the curve mentioned earlier in order to hold the shape of the door?

I'm already running upholstery ideas through my head.. A little foam on the panel for shape.. A little black leather. Aww yeah.

Davy, I can deliver them to you. Could bring them to your house while you are at work and drop them off at the side of your house or whatever. We are all toooo busy so I don't mind making life a bit easier on you. Let me know. And is it ok to take off the stainless trim and leave everything else?

Later,

Kyle

Davy' date=' I can deliver them to you. Could bring them to your house while you are at work and drop them off at the side of your house or whatever. We are all toooo busy so I don't mind making life a bit easier on you. Let me know. And is it ok to take off the stainless trim and leave everything else?

Later,

Kyle[/quote']

Kyle, that would be great. Dropping the doors off at my house is fine, but I was hoping to meet you. Could you PM me or email me with your phone number again? I'll talk to you and we'll set something up. This week is better than last, that's for sure!

Davy

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
what is the latest on these door panels? any pics of the completed product?

OK, After finally getting going on this project, my friend is getting the mock up for the mold done. I think Jaime240Z was the guy responsible for the original 240Z door panels we are using initially (thank you Jaime!) and this work finally starting. The speaker is a 6.5" and looks kinda small on the panel, but is located such that the window crank will not interfere. It turns out that the 240Z door is made in such a way that a SMALL amount of metal will have to be trimmed on the inside of the door to give some room for a speaker magnet. The size of the magnet on the speaker will determine how much you'll need to cut from the door. Note that the metal is not an integral structural part, so your door should be fine.

My apologies on how long this is taking, but life gets extremely busy at times. Bear with us and there should be a final product soon *hopefully*.

Here are some pics of the mockup:

PDR_0188.JPG

PDR_0187.JPG

PDR_0184.JPG

PDR_0183.JPG

I promise that it'll look like something good once we get a final fiberglass panel together! :mrgreen:

Davy

you should try to integrate some type of armrest too

These are just the interior fiberglass panels. The armrest would most likely add to the cost and complexity to it all. The problem is nothing will completely satisfy all the people all the time. I will mention it to him though--it's not a bad idea.

Davy

Davy, thanks for the update. Looks like things are going good on the panels. Judging by pics I've seen of this guy's 510 parts these panels should be quite nice !!

It just took a while to get going. Sometimes life 'happens' and things get put on hold, but I think we're gaining momentum now. The 510 pieces are trick and these should be no different...in fact I think they'll be better since they have curves.

Again, I appreciate the parts to make this happen, Jaime! :2thumbs:

Davy