HybridZ

Fiberglass Interior Door Panels

DavyZ

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jon,

To ship to your location/Zip of 27540 it will cost roughly 18.00. Thats a UPS shipment with 5 days in transit. I would double that because of the packaging and the actual purchase for the boxes they'll be shipped in.

Pete

Panel installation is simple, you can pop rivet the panels to the factory upper door trim and/or bond it together with a basic two part epoxy. As a Courtesy I will pop rivet and bond the two pieces together if you send me your factory upper door trim with your payment...

OK, Pete, so they just have to send their upper door trim (the metal bracket part of the panel that's riveted to hardboard for the door panel) correct?

The finished door panels look pretty good to me and provide a 6" speaker mount hole, correct?

If the guys wanted to, they can still use their original armrests if they want to, right?

Just clarifying for all the questions that will get asked!

Thanks for the email.

Davy

Dave,

Yes, If anyone thats interested in a set of panels wants to send me their upper metal door core, I will bond the new fiberglass door panel to the existing door trim and send a completed unit back to them at no charge for that service.

The provisions for the speaker are actually 6.5, however, with different speaker manufactures your going to run into slight variances in size... so I recommend taking the panels with you when you make your speaker purchase and don't forget to allow a little give/space for your choice of upholstery.

As far as arm rest go... yes you can use pretty much any armrest you want to, remember the new arm rest sits up an away from the base of the door itself which allows you to use the power window set up as well as space to rear mount (from behind) any door handle you want. The handle should be or would be mounted prior to the installation of the panel on the door.... I'll mock one up and take pics for visual purposes.

In addition to Daves questions: Lots of people are asking if the arm rest comes covered ...NO!! it does not, you have to cover it yourself. I covered the one thats in all the pics in a matter of 15 minutes with a hot glue gun and a piece of scrap I had laying around.

There are supports that I wasnt going to install for people but due to the number of call I've gotten I've realized that there are a ton of people out there that no nothing about fiberglass so I will be installing the supports/mount for my custom arm rest.

I also will not be supplying the door pull cup (the piece that I borrowed from my Mitsubishi) as shown in the pics.

If anyone has any question please post them or give me a call and I'll be happy to assist you in anyway that I can

Pete

510-938-8297

Very nice, I didn't count on power windows.

I realize this was quite an effort but I would like to re-new the request for factory shaped Carbon Fiber door panels without speaker holes.

One of the things I really love about the factory interior door panels is the fact that they have that concave contour throughout the entire door. I think thats a classic shape I love and couldn't do without when it came to a replacement for the original . If you could retain that exact factory shape with Carbon Fiber I would gladly put down my money right this moment.

I realize Carbon Fiber is quite a bit more expensive. But even with that in mind I would still be ready to put my money down in an instant.

In My Opinion, if you had 100 people ready to buy custom door panels for a 240/280 Z I would be willing to bet that a majority of people would rather have stock looking/shaped Carbon Fiber door panels.

Chances are the only difference between the 240 Z and the 280 Z panel is where the hole for the window crank is and where the holes for the retention clips go.

^^^Please chime in if you know this NOT to be true^^^

Please let us know if there is any possibility of Carbon Fiber parts from you guys.

Again, my hats off to you guys and I hope you sell a ton of them if thats what you want.

If thats what you guys want lets hear about. I'm more than willing to make them as long as you guys are willing to buy them. I hate to make it sound that way but making molds aint cheap and its time consuming and those of us that have worked with fiberglass know its not the cleanest thing in the world to do.

What I need to make a set of molds is a set of panels that are in pretty darn good shape, the set that I just completed (with the speaker) was pretty involved because I didnt have a good set to start with so I had to recreate the entire arch in the panel from scratch (pics attached)

With something as simple as the factory panel ... again I would need someone to donate a set of panels that they may or may not get back in order for me to get a solid mold from them. In exchange Ill give that person a set of panels at half the cost... fair??

Pete

P1010226_thumb.JPG

P1010228_thumb.JPG

P1010234_thumb.JPG

With something as simple as the factory panel ... again I would need someone to donate a set of panels that they may or may not get back in order for me to get a solid mold from them. In exchange Ill give that person a set of panels at half the cost... fair??

I can send you my late 260Z panels. I need to recover them anyway. That won't help 240 owners though.

- Greg -

I have a set for 240 Z's that the look OK the Medite is perfect on them. They are out of an Arizona car that started life in California.

Thats the exact shape I want the shape of the medite with the vinyl removed.

You didnt mention Carbon fiber. CAN you do Carbon fiber?

If thats what you guys want lets hear about. I'm more than willing to make them as long as you guys are willing to buy them. I hate to make it sound that way but making molds aint cheap and its time consuming and those of us that have worked with fiberglass know its not the cleanest thing in the world to do.
Hey no one here expects you to do it for free. I understand exactly how composites work. The better your plug the better your mold the better the parts are. The less work it will be to ship a part.

I understand 100%. Thanks for considering it.

Okay, GREAT!!! sounds like you guys want some panels. SO!! can I get someone to get me those panels?? Maybe 2fiddyz??

Hey 2fiddy, call me (510) 938-8297 or PM me and set some thing up with me to get me those panels, if you pay for shipping to California Ill pay for your shipping cost to Arizona when your fiberglass/Carbon panels are complete... that sound fair??

And yes I can do Carbon Fiber, Just as an FYI for the guys that don't know carbon runs me $69 or 79 dollars per yard (I cant remember the cost as I have the last couple of yards from my last purchase)that great as the panels are roughly 17 and 5/8th inches tall and 41 and 1/4 long (thats longest point to longest point squared) Unfortunately my supplier only has carbon available in 38 inch widths, so Ill have to find a new supplier with the wider stuff in an effort to keep cost down as well as provide all of you with some really hot panels!!! YA!!

2fiddy whats up?!?!?!

Pete

Oh!! as far as I know the 240 260 and 280 z panels are all the same... right? the location of the lock mechanism is in a different location but the actual panel is the same. In addition you/we/I can bond the panels in the same way as the fiberglass panels.

Pete

Oh!! as far as I know the 240 260 and 280 z panels are all the same... right? the location of the lock mechanism is in a different location but the actual panel is the same. In addition you/we/I can bond the panels in the same way as the fiberglass panels.

Pete

i got an early 280z 5/75. Uses 240z door panels.

Pete

Pete,

I recently went through this when I was looking for panels for my 260Z. From what I've seen, the 240z, 260z, and and 280Z panels through 76 are the same shape but some of the panel mounting holes etc. are in different locations. As I recall the window mech is also in a different place plus you have the door pull differences. The 77 and 78 panels are a totally different animal. Not only is the lock mech in a different location but the panel shape/size is different. I've got a set of each but none of them are in very good shape. I actually glassed over the set that I'm going to put in my car when I get it back from paint. I would suggest supplying the panels without any holes cut. That way they should work for 70-76 Z's.

When they changed to the 280Z style (mid 260Z model year), the door panels changed from having an armrest and a strap (four point mounting) to an armrest with integrated handle (3 point mounting). I would bet the door lock, window and door handle holes are in the same location, though. Im not sure if the backing board is marked for both hole configurations -- if it is then it would just be a case of making it with no armrest/handle holes and having markings to drill your own, as was already suggested.

- Greg -