HybridZ

wilwood big brakes how to make your own kit front and back for $1550

No one on this site is disputing that using your own enginuity and resources to get your car built, be it brakes, suspension, or any other stages. However, we just want to make sure that info is accurate and proven. Remember Ed, We've got a lot of members who read these posts and run right out and buy stuff based on what is posted.

The original poster hasn't had a lot of time or posts on the site, so we're gonna be a little more discernable with the info.

Mike

No one on this site is disputing that using your own enginuity and resources to get your car built' date='

The original poster hasn't had a lot of time or posts on the site, so we're gonna be a little more discernable with the info.

Mike[/quote']

That's true I forget that there are a lot of people who believe that something is true just because it was posted on the internet.

No matter what the subject!:malebitch

Thier rear is basicly the the 280ZX rotor with maxima caliper and braket.

These are some really big brakes, and you need big wheels to go over them, 16" min. I like the Arizon Z brake kit more though. Not to mention that it's less expensive.

Modern Motorsports has some nice stuff, but their price's are high.IMO. I'd probably only get their driveshaft adapters, since I can't find anyone else making them for less with a good rep.

Better check the link he provided, looks like MM now makes a 13" rear. That was a big gripe for me too, which is why I asked about the rear. Looks like Ross has taken care of that issue.

Ok he has 2 brake kits. But the 13" rotors look like the Caliper is to small. What good is it to have a huge rotor, if you can't clamp down on it.

In regards to Cobraz240z's setup, I think everybody is right. Whether you buy it ready or piece it, it's up to the individual and the cost are almost the same anyways. But, I'am curious to see how Cobraz240z managed to keep the original 240z offset with Willwood parts only. I checked the part #s and when you add up the thikness of the disk and hat, it does not match. That is why, I think, ArizonaZ, MML and JSK made there hats to maintain the original offset. Correct me if I'am missing something.

Hurry up Cobraz240Z and post your pics, bro. Your losing your thread. :)

Ari

Dat260 that MML setup on the rear is VERY sufficient. I've had it on two heavier and larger cars and it works... Remember, the rear brakes do a lot less braking and when you throw on a larger diameter rotor, you increase the lever, so you don't need a large caliper to do any more work or screw up the balance any further. I personally think the Cobra rear caliper is the best solution for all those requiring an e-brake.

Ross' 13inch extreme kit is a VERY well engineered kit... Matter of fact, ALL Ross' parts are engineered to the highest standards. If you're a discerning customer, and are concerned with mechanical engineering aspects, you'll like his parts! :2thumbs:

Mike

Well, I guess this thread is getting highkacked Cobraz240z :) :) :).

Mikelly, I agree with you there no question Ross's set up is awsome. Actually everything he has on his site is well thought off and engineered. But, I was just curious about the Willwood only parts setup.

Cheers, Ari

Guest speedmon

I don't know much about the MM brake kit, but it looks kinda expensive for a combo of OEM parts.

The Wilwoods are 4 piston calibers front and rear.

From my experience, and I dont AutoX (thats driving through cones in a parking lot right?) but I do "club race"....and one thing I do know is brakes are one item you don't want to fail when you're flying into a turn at 100mph.

Also I think "brake fade" is more dependent on the pad material and the way it difuses the heat. Most fade is caused by the heat getting through the pad to the fluid and causing it overheat and boil, then the system looses pressure and the pedal just goes to the floor with no brakes.......been there, hate that.

I bought the Ariz Z package as I've been "tracking" various cars for about 10 years, and Wilwood is in the racing brake business, have been for a long time. They offer various pad materials from street temps to very high temps, which is beneficial if you have a dual purpose car.

I looked at the MM site and without editorializing too much (and I may have been on the wrong site), but what I saw was not what I would consider racing grade. It looked like mustang? OEM PBR? calibers more akin with a street/show car. And I wouldn't do that either, because I think the wilwoods are prettier. They (the PBRs) are aluminum which is light, but the listed features did not include any "race proven" words.... Except for the Nascar grade rotors and what does that mean?

Its just when I think of brakes I think of Brembo and Wilwood, not PBR?

And the MM kit that I saw was like $1800+ for f/r, which is several hundred more. But it did have a parking brake feature, which the Ariz Z kit does not. I just don't happen to need that.

Thats my opinion and I could be wrong, but my brakes haven't faded since I started using Wilwood stuff, on my Porsche, Corvette, and now on my Z.

How good is the Wilwood caliper as far as flex goes? That is damm important for brake modulation and ultimate performance. I've never used them but they are not very popular among the racing crowd I know, despite being well priced, AP or Brembo being preferred.

The PBR job is a simple well designed caliper that performs better than the sum of its parts. Which between Wilwood and PBR is 'better'? Don't think there is a definitive answer to that question.

Guest speedmon

I don't know about the Wilwood flex. AP is another great brake company as well as Stop Tech. Do you see the Stop Tech stuff down unda?

I have a friend who adapts Brembos to just about any car, but it didn't make sense to put $4k of brakes on the car I only paid $5K for. But on my Porsche which does have Brembos, I do run the Wilwood pads....the Es and Js, Wilwood classifies most of their pad materials by letters like that. The other reason, and this is just me, that I like Wilwood is that they are here in CA, and parts are easy to get, as I change pads 3-4 times per year.

260DET, what kind of brakes do you have on your car? Do you have any pics?

I'll try to get some pics of mine up.......

Whether or not you need that mucho expensive brakes like stoptech or brembo should be matched to budget and intended racing purposes and class.

There are diffences in the brakes as far as just diameter and the flashy colour on the caliper.

For rotor, diameter, materaial, amount of venting, width, thickness of web should be considered when comparing two different kits.

Caliper, dust seals, flex (very important), how well it modulates, cooling capacity, size to clear wheels, ease of maintence, reliabilty.

Wilwoods are good bang for the buck upgrade. However they are race proven on dirt track cars. You have to rebuild them every year or two. The PBR is probably a better option for the street, dust seals, very low profile to clear wheels, more rigid design. They don't look as fancy, they have been race proven and vettes and mustangs. They are fairly new to North America, but are very up to date engineering wise. I think they are the best option if you can't afford stop tech or brembo, AP, alcon ....

Yes Ross's kit seems expensive at first glance, but for what you get is fairly reasonable.

Remeber there is more to a good brake kit than big and shiny !!