HybridZ

How to create a "Minimalistic" Engine Bay Look?

Sleek Z

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out this engine bay (I think he might have kept the clutch MC)

DaveK-engine6.jpg

I vote for the L6 idea. A custom simple intake manifold would do the job, and the headers "hide" under the intake manifold, creating a clean look. You'd have to be somewhat creative with the spark plugs and wires, though.

Where did you get those ITBs? I've been looking everywhere I could think of for those with no luck.

I have no idea, it's not my car just a pick I fould a long time ago and thought it was superclean, you'll notice it's RHD! as for the TB's you might try looking at motorcycles or just search i recall reading about a company that sells individuals and even offers a Z kit but it was pricey!

Wow, Those pics look great..

you could go with a V12

Only thing not installed in in the engine compartment in this pic are the Air meters, ducting to the air filters, and upper radiator hose (also the hood and fenders are off however that doesn't change what the inside of the engine compartment looks like). Please excuse the dust

we covered our firewall with 1/8" aluminum.

Bondo isn't a good idea to cover the seams as the whole thing flexes when driving so you will end up with cracks. Best to weld up all the seams and then smooth the welds. Used body filler only where you are trying to make a relatively smooth panel even smoother. Cracks in bondo look a lot worse than a painted seam. Also if it's covered in bondo on one side, any moisture that gets to it either from the other side of the metal or through a crack will be hels there like in a sponge and accelerate formation of rust :(

I love the Vette engined one and the intake on the 6 cyl... would love to have a downdraft setup like that for the 12

Chelle

gtoafter11.jpg

Dudeboy - goergeous Z28. I'm baffled though. What does he do for spark? The LS1 uses a coil-on-plug set-up so there should be 4 col packs on each valve cover - but there isn't. did he remote them or is he suing a single coil somewhere?

They are under the FRCs, just like they are in vettes. If you look close you can see the plug wires coming out from under it.

Here's an another TPI install but the wires need some cleaning up: link

And here's the opposite of a minimalistic engine bay (my daily driver) LOL: link

A recent RB25 I saw recently looked REALLY clean for a street/track shop job.

http://photobucket.com/albums/b346/Gollumandsmeagol/?action=view&current=GreenS30RB25DET2.jpg

If you used the NA motor (wich can still get fair enough power) you could REALLY make it look clean.

That is a real nice install. I hope mine looks as good when it's done.:2thumbs:

• 2 years later...

Ok, this is a dead thread, but what happened with the OPs search? is he driving a clean bayed car now?

I wish there would be "Finished" updates at the end.

Has anyone fabbed in a rear transaxle gearbox and hidden a rotary tucked down into a masssaged transmission tunnel to leave an EMPTY engine bay?

Ok, this is a dead thread, but what happened with the OPs search? is he driving a clean bayed car now?

Sleek Z's projects are more theorectical in nature then actual. He likes to think of himself as an "idea man".

...I wish there would be "Finished" updates at the end.

You're presuming that these projects are ever "finished".

...Has anyone fabbed in a rear transaxle gearbox and hidden a rotary tucked down into a masssaged transmission tunnel to leave an EMPTY engine bay?

Chelle is working on a rear transaxle from a C5 if I recall correctly. And Auxilary has a turbo rotory in his 240 but it's a long term project (I don't think he planned it that way) but it's not running yet and it does stick out from the tranny tunnel a bit. Do a search on rotory Z and you should find a bunch of threads.

Has anyone fabbed in a rear transaxle gearbox and hidden a rotary tucked down into a masssaged transmission tunnel to leave an EMPTY engine bay?

Dan answered you pretty well, but I'd never thought of that! Funny, I'd only ever thought about an electric motor sitting in the trans tunnel, never rotory. I know the tunnel isn't big enough, so you'd need to make a custom tunnel, but I think it'd be doable with stock width seating. Access to things like the spark plugs would be a chore though, unless you made the new tunnel with an access panel.

Would make for one clean engine bay. Storage space anyone?

Do a search on rotory Z and you should find a bunch of threads.

Seen a number of rotary engined Z's on this board, but they've all had the engine and tranny in the usual places.

Hmm... well outside my budget at the moment, I need to get an engine into my ZX first. but maybe in a few years down the track I might get a toy car and have a go at an empty bay car :D

Can you cali guys imagine the look on the smog attendants face when he opens the hood to see a couple of empty engine mounts and some loose wires?

;)

ROFLMAO that would be fun :D

Can you cali guys imagine the look on the smog attendants face when he opens the hood to see a couple of empty engine mounts and some loose wires?

Have you seen the movie "Tucker"? They staged the same thing in a newsreel ad, mechanic lifts the hood and there is no engine up front....