HybridZ

LS1 & t56 for $5K

Looking at this pull out

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-Trans-Am-Camaro-LS1-Engine-w-6spd-Transmission-27k_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQitemZ8017219294

Complete 02 F body LS1 with t56, only 27k miles and a buy it now price of $4900.

What do you guys think of this deal? The seller is close enough for pickup and is a place I can trust. Seems like all the ones I see any more are on the high side of 4 grand.

Hmmm.... It isn't a "bad" price, but you could buy a used 99-2001 Camaro for between 7-9K. Now the real issue with buying a car is how hammered it was. A low mileage drivertrain might not be bad.

Pop, there is a guy on Corvette Forum up near Boston who is parting our a 99C5 Corvette and he is seeling the complete motor, wiring harness and ecu all together. Not sure if he has the tranny or if it is a T56, but the car only has 6K miles on it. I have his number if you want it. He was basically looking for 50% of the dealer cost, which is I think about $6K for a crate LS1. PM me if you want his number.

Mike

I paid $4000 for my LS1 drivetrain in March of 2004. It came out of a 2002 Camaro SS with 20,000 miles. Mine came with an automatic.

I think that Fparts has a good reputation. They have been selling these motors for quite some time.

IF you want an LS1 go for it.

I just pulled up the auction... You're getting a lot more than just a motor and tranny for that price. They are giving you a LOT of stuff with it, all the way back to the torque arm and drive shaft (Which you could sell), so that isn't a bad deal at all. The wiring harness and ECU would be excellent to have, since it would then be a plug and play ordeal. If I could sell my 383 stroker, I'd be all over this...

Also, as to the comment about the 2002 models having "special Parts", I was very sceptical when I read this same thing elsewhere. However, my little brother has an 02 camaro so he has been doing a ton of research. When we went to have my Vette tuned in North Carolina By Jeff, he told us that he was told by a GM rep that some of the later 02 production Fcars got LS6 shortblocks because the LS1 production was winding down and they ran out! :shock: So, the later half of the production line got the stronger shortblocks and all 02s got the LS6 intake. Jeff also told me that he has pulled more than a few truck cams out of the 02 Fbody motors when doing swaps and he has seen bone stock 02s on his dyno roll over 310 at the WHEELS :shock: in those configurations.

If I was an Fbody fan, I'd be shopping for a late production date 02 Camaro! :2thumbs:

Mike

I would love to hear the results of buying from these guys on EBAY. have been looking at their motors along with many others and I just wonder if they play games like some of the people I tried buying cars from EBAY. I bought one but won 5 and always something happened to the car when I said I would fly out and pick the car up and pay face to face with cash. I really hope that the engine purchase works well for you and please post how it turns out because these guys could end up getting a lot more business. I my self am looking for an LS6, auto trans (wifes choice), and all the accessories. I keep hoping to buy a wrecked car to pull it from but these guys in Bristol, PA might be worth a shot. Also, you might want to take a pole of to see how many others would like a similar deal from them and maybe they would cut a deal if a few wanted engines and would buy from them. I would be very interested my self if I could find the combination I am looking for. Just a thought and if you are convinced they are good to deal with, well this could work for many. Good luck

Robert

Couple that with the fact that several of us in the market are within reasonable driving distance of Bristol PA (Including Pop!) and it makes this even more attractive. :2thumbs:

However, I just read in the latest Vette magazine about a new LS2 swap done on one of the project Vette's for the magazine ( http://vetteweb.com/tech/vemp_0601_ls2/) and that setup was good for about 470HP at the wheels... Pretty sweet and not a lot of bones for the extra umph and extra dispacement (6.6Liter!) ! :2thumbs:

Mike :cool:

I just pulled up the auction... You're getting a lot more than just a motor and tranny for that price. They are giving you a LOT of stuff with it' date=' all the way back to the torque arm and drive shaft (Which you could sell), so that isn't a bad deal at all. The wiring harness and ECU would be excellent to have, since it would then be a plug and play ordeal. If I could sell my 383 stroker, I'd be all over this...

Also, as to the comment about the 2002 models having "special Parts", I was very sceptical when I read this same thing elsewhere. However, my little brother has an 02 camaro so he has been doing a ton of research. When we went to have my Vette tuned in North Carolina By Jeff, he told us that he was told by a GM rep that some of the later 02 production Fcars got LS6 shortblocks because the LS1 production was winding down and they ran out! :shock: So, the later half of the production line got the stronger shortblocks and all 02s got the LS6 intake. Jeff also told me that he has pulled more than a few truck cams out of the 02 Fbody motors when doing swaps and he has seen bone stock 02s on his dyno roll over 310 at the WHEELS :shock: in those configurations.

If I was an Fbody fan, I'd be shopping for a late production date 02 Camaro! :2thumbs:

Mike[/quote']

My LS1 is from the 2002 Camaro SS and does have the LS6 block. I confirmed it by checking the block numbers against the ones on the LS1Tech website. It also has the 241 heads.

What Mike say about the dyno test of RWHP is also true. My motor is stock. I do have the Sanderson 1 3/4" shorty headers and a cold air intake and my car put down 317 to the rear wheels.

You can't go wrong with an LS1. This is a great motor for a Z. It is like it was made for it. Mr. K even liked it when he saw my swap at the Z convention.

If you buy the motor you can sell a bunch of stuff off of it. I sold the A/C and power steering stuff, the catalytic converters, the stock exhaust manifolds, the stock wiring harness. The above reduced the cost by about $500.

Thanks for the input. Just trying to get an idea what the market price for such engines are.

I have been watching the Bristol place for a year or more now. This is their standard price for such items and they get low mile deals like this all of the time. This aution will most likely end with no bids. Most of them do. Leads me to believe I could probably call them and get a better pick up price. Their 99.7% positive feedback rating, and the fact they have sold thousands of these, makes me believe they are about as safe as any ebay dealer. They do have a pretty complete package. They even include the pedals.

The price with an auto is $600 less. They have an 02 Fbody with auto and 39K miles on auction now for BIN of $4200. So it's not like if I let this deal go I will not see another one again. So the $4k qwik240z payed is ball park. Except IIRC you have a Corvette motor which for some reason commands a good bit more.

The smart thing for me to do is wait till spring to pick one up. I need to get the Z licensed first, that way the motor swap won't be an issue with the safety inspection. That should keep me busy until after the snows are over. With enough prep work over the winter I wonder if I could get one installed within their 90 warranty period.

But having that thing sitting in the garage would be a hell of a motivator....

Pop N Wood,

I to have watch F-parts over the last year if I went the LT1 or LS1 direction. Do you notice that F-parts sometimes offer 90 day warranties and sometimes 6 months warranties? The LS1 with the automatic has a 6 month warranty. Another place to look at is tennesseeauto.com ? You can get a drivetrain only or a complete car (wrecked- they have the picture of the damaged car on their website) so you get an idea of what you getting.

I bought my '02 LS1 with T56 and all accessories from Rick at Cleveland Pick-a-Part. 35 K for $4000. Great guy to deal with. I believe his e-bay handle is pick-a-part. Only combos I could find up here in the Great White North were close to $10000 Canadian with higher mileage.

Let me weigh in on the newer vs older LS1's. Mine is the '98 which is supposedly the least desireable because of the LS1 intake and older head design. It does, however, have a stronger lower end in some respects than the newer ones and, interestingly enough, it dynoed at 311 rwhp with 1 1/2" shorty headers, a 'Y' pipe into a single 2 1/2" exhaust, and an intake behnd the radiator. It does have it's ECU "tuned" to 2001/2 parameters by www.chipsbyal.com. Bottom line is that these engines do well no matter what year they are.

Here is one here in Orlando if anyone is interested. Comes with some nice parts.

LS1 + t56 - $3850

80k miles, ls6 cam, asp pulley, spec 3 clutch (~1000 miles no chatter), rebuilt tranny by Zeigler Transmission (~1000 miles) comes with 1 yr or 12000 mile warranty. This includes EVERYTHING you need to run this setup - all 3 wiring harnesses, starter, stock shifter, accessories, etc.

If anyone is interested. I'll get in contact with the guy and take a look at it.

----- I am not affiliated with the seller ------

I have seen what others are paying for thier pullouts. And I thought I would pass on a good deal since I already have mine.