HybridZ

EVO or STI?

naplesZ

the EVO has been proven to be quicker than the STi on tracks and shoot out's.

Didn't the STi just win the SCCA National Championship in T2 beating EVOs, SRT4s, Camaros, 350Zs, etc.? In fact STi's finished 1, 2 and the closest EVO was in 5th, also beaten by a Camaro and a Firebird.

http://www.scca.com/Event/Result.asp?Ref2=216

And, dang, the STi out qualified the EVO in every qualifying session...

http://www.scca.com/Event/Result.asp?Ref2=129

http://www.scca.com/Event/Result.asp?Ref2=158

http://www.scca.com/Event/Result.asp?Ref2=172

Funny how the stuff you read in SCC, Car and Driver, Road and Track, Motor Trend, etc. doesn't match up with real world racing.

JohnC,

I'm unfamiliar with SCCA regulations and the like.. In the results you posted how modifed were the vehicles?

I havent driven either car but Ive ridden in both and I like the STi. To me it feels like a more "complete" car if that makes alot of sense.

Edit,

I found this on the SCCA website,

TOURING CATEGORY

In response to the ever increasing performance of today's street cars and to expand participation by various manufacturers, SCCA has developed a category for those high performance cars which because of their performance potential, required some changes to their wheel/tires and suspension components. Touring 1 (T1) features the Dodge Viper, Mustang Cobra R, Chevrolet Corvette ZO6, Porsche 911 and Ferrari 348/355. Front runners in Touring 2 (T2) are the Cadillac CTSv, Nissan 350z and the Dodge Neon SRT-4.

I gather this means stock powerplants more or less, the basic safety requirements and light suspension mods?

The Touring category is pretty much for stock vehicles. All emissions stuff working (a CEL will get you a DSQ), basically stock suspension, and the required safety equipment.

There are some competition allowances that are vehicle specific and part of the manufacturer's VTS for that car.

For the EVO8 they are allowed:

1. Update/backdate.

2. Factory brake ducting kit.

3. Oil and trans cooler.

For the STi they are allowed:

1. Update/backdate.

2. Factory brake ducting kit.

3. Oil and trans cooler.

Both cars must weigh 3380 lbs. with driver aboard.

I believe the evo is actually cheaper.

Actually the EVO MR goes for as much as 42k here, and as low as 37k if you're lucky. You can get a packed STI for 31k here. BIG difference.

BOTH cars are awsome. I don't trust a word any of the mags say comparing the two cars. I like to see REAL footage of what they're doing. If you want a REAL view of the two, pick up some BMI videos. All PRO drivers with thier share of victories giving REAL impressions about the vefhicles and racing them flat out against eachother.

Neither have a HUGE lead over the other in racing, but there is a KEY point to look at if you're going to race them.

The STI AWD system alows alot of back end slide to compensate for the understeer. Subaru's idea is to overpower the car to oversteer. The EVO is completelly the oposite, trying to maintain a stable controllable turn using YAW adjustment to compensate for the understeer of AWD.

They're totally different animals to race. It's all just preferrence.

The STI sounds killer, but the EVO is easier to mod. And there's a 650hp one rolling the streets somewhere, so they have potential. The STI 'might' be more reliable seeing as subaru has been making AWD systems for decades, but I could be completely wrong. Mitsu is doing HORRIBLE financially so if the company went belly up there could go alot of part support (just a possability).

I personally feel a decision between the two should come from a couple of key points.

1. Driving Style

2. Interior Comfort

3. Appearence & Sound

Everything else doesn't matter between the two. They both have bellypans that have brake ducts. Both have functional rear wings. Both have plenty of room for 4. Both sound great in thier own right. Both offer a world of performance for the price compared to anything on the market.

I don’t mean to hijack this thread, but how do these turbo 4-cylinders perform in the off-the-line torque department? I don’t mean rev-it-and-dump-the-clutch, but leave the line lazily at 1200 rpm, then punch the gas. How would they compare to, say, an early 1990’s 5.0L Mustang or a LT1 Z28 Camaro? In all cases assume a manual transmission.

I don’t mean to hijack this thread, but how do these turbo 4-cylinders perform in the off-the-line torque department? I don’t mean rev-it-and-dump-the-clutch, but leave the line lazily at 1200 rpm, then punch the gas. How would they compare to, say, an early 1990’s 5.0L Mustang or a LT1 Z28 Camaro? In all cases assume a manual transmission.

Not as bad as you might thing for it being a turbo 4 banging with 4 doors.

I've watched one of the mitsu rally drivers drive a stock one for a time trial and in turns he'd take it down to 2500 rpm and no downshift. He said even though it didn't sound like it, the tourque down low was actaully quite good and acceleration there equally good.

Now, I still wouldn't compare it to a V8 like the 5.0. In one of those you put it in 5th at 1500rpm and getting up to freeway speed is still effortless.

But the thing that should be noted is that these motors are designed to have extremely flat tourque curves, to offer the best performance that restriced air can on the rally. Obviously quite a bit about the street version isn't anything like the rally, and the honestly the rally cars ratain very little from a street trim verions, BUT the motor isn't changed as much as you'd think. They're still only pumping out around 300hp. Most of the engine mods are rev & reliability mods, like the backfiring system and such.

Didn't the STi just win the SCCA National Championship in T2 beating EVOs, SRT4s, Camaros, 350Zs, etc.? In fact STi's finished 1, 2 and the closest EVO was in 5th, also beaten by a Camaro and a Firebird.

The T2 race is going to be on Speed at 11:00 AM Pacific today. They're just starting the F500 race now. :)

I heard in SCCA ITE that an EVO8 is dominating the class right now. Apparently this guy has thrown "cubic dollars" at his EVO, which is why he's winning, lol.

Personally I like the EVO better than the STI. I'm a fairly big guy (6' 3" 205 lbs), and sitting in the EVO I felt more comfortable than I did in the STI. Plus the EVO looks better IMHO, and has more aftermarket support. But with the dramatic cost difference, the STI is a better buy.

Yup, and that gap in cost is what a lot of consumers don't see when comparing the two. I think the EVO fit and finish is maybe a little better, but not a lot, and the performance difference isn't huge.

For a change, I'm with you. I like the styling of the EVO more, but if I was shopping for one of these, I'd have lean towards the STi Unless I could get within 3K price difference... Then I'd consider the EVO.

Mike

have you guys seen the new 06 sti? Wow... is it ugly IMP. I hated to see it out at hte autox the other day as id never seen one before. I personally think they ruined the car. Not to mention it was a horrible grey/green and the front fenders didnt match the body.

I love the old Sti, and would grab one of them over the evo. But i believe the evo would be easier to tune and work with as far as the engine department.