HybridZ

Racing Dash update

Mikelly

Hi Mike. Like everyone else I can't wait to see the final finshed product.

Question: Your mounting the MSD inside/under the dash ok. Are you still using the stock heater core/box? Or ditching that too for weight savings? Or using one of those aftermarket hot rod electric ones?

I live in MN and still have yet to use my heater. Just wondering..

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry guys... I've been doing the wiring and haven't completed the dash install just yet. Because all the wiring is behing the dash, runing around the front horizontal brace on the cage, I don't want the dash in the way so I can trace everything down. I hope to be done by early next week.

I don't have a heater or AC, but do plan to get one of those smaller hotrod heater setups to blow hot air on the windshield just incase, and I may route a few hoses over to the passenger areas. What I did was trim a panel using bulkhead nuts welded into the firewall and trans tunnel from the factory, and cut a sheet of stainless to run from trans tunnel up to the firewall and mounted the MSD and the Holley Commander 950 on that unit. Behind that unit is still a large amount of space. I mounted my Accusump there. My fuse panel is mounted to the roll cage horizontal dash brace and I have my battery master on/off switch mounted in the driver's side rear 1/4 window. Sitting in the car I can reach my hand around and cut the switch off and corner workers can get to it from outside the car.

I still need to weld on about four braces to the roll cage horizontal bar that will act as braces for the face of the dash. Once I'm done with the wiring, I'll pull the seat, remove the dash and console and weld those braces, drill the holes for the dash, epoxy the last few gage brackets and mount the dash and remaining gages.

If any of you guys NEED some pics of something LIKE NOW for something you're specifically working on, I'll snap a few and throw them on my yahoo folder. If not, I'd really rather do all the documenting at the end, where I can pull it all appart and take pics in phases.

I'm down to the last 10 wires on my painless 17 circuit kit (About 300Ft of wire! :shock: ) and trying to trace everything out and troubleshoot it all, so I am in the home stretch of this portion of the project. :2thumbs:

I've kept TWO extra dashes to show some of what I did to get to this point.

Mike

Funny what two hours in the garage can accomplish, along with the laptop and the Painless thread sticky! I now have emergency flashers, headlights, and taillights. Still sorting out the whole turn signal issue, and still have to wire my switch box up, which is five circuits and the push starter, but after that, I'm pretty much done.

I expect to finish out the dash this coming week, then get the car on the lift and start fabbing the rear differential craddle for the R230, as well as finish up fitting the trans mount to the chassis and welding in the driveshaft hoop...

Fun Fun FUN!

Mike :cool:

Went from 90% done to back to square one. No turn signals, no headlights, no dash lights, no park lights... :roll:

I think I'm gonna need all those 8 other switches... Pretty sure I just cooked the living hell out of one of them...

On the plus side, I've got a two speed wiper deal working off the stalk.

Mike

Concerning the dash Mike, what you did was to gut a stock dash, reinforce the remaining face with fiberglass laid on the inside then use foam as a backing and adhesive for the metal mounts? Is that basically what you did?

What I did was take a stock dash cover from either MSA or VB and lay glass inside it in about 4mills thickness. I took a stock dash and removed all the material from the metal base, then cut the top of the base off. I used that top flat surface and bolted it in. I'll weld about three to four braces on to my roll bar cross brace and bend it so that it will hit the front of the dash for a bolt in pickup point. I will use bolts to bolt the dash cover to the braces.

I used fast drying epoxy to mount the gage braces that are mounted. I do plan to finish epoxying the last coupld of gages in place, along with my shift light. Funny thing is that the dash without the gages weighs less than two pounds! :shock:

Mike :cool:

Gee whiz! got busy looking at the other mods forgot to pay attention to wiring. Very interested in the rear lower control arm ""... I got the parts for the front adjustable tension rods from Race Basics and the parts for the adjustable front control arm are on their way from UB Machine. and the camber plate monoball housing arrived in 3/4 rather in 5/8's

Hey Mike, long time no see huh?!

I did what you are doing now, except didn't use any reinforcing under the cap. I took some aluminum tube, welded some tabs on it, which in turn line up with the 10mm holes under the windshield-line.

Measuring where the gauges should mount to was a pain, but it turned out cool!

dashsupprtinside.jpgDashsupportoutside.jpg

Image-B0A822E04D3411D9.jpg

One thing, my glove box doesn't work (who cares!). I was gonna make a cage with the same tubing and put some walls/floor on it and make it line up with the glove box door, but same ol story, ran outta time. In the end, I just gutted the glove box door and bolted it from the inside to the dash cap.

The 3 center gauges mount to the main cross frame, the AC panel gauges/ducts/LEDs are an A-frame and mount to the tunnel, can be removed separately. The two big gauges mount to the steering column. Removal takes 5 minutes. It could take 3 but I have to disconnect the wiring from the main wiring harness cuz the gauges are mounted to the frame.

Owen

PS, I also dropped the height of the entire dash around inch from the stock mounting location. Both for looks and to make easy use of the 10mm holes. See last pic, you can see the weatherstrip in the background.

The welds are my first (and last) attempt at MIGging aluminum. And the wires are a mess cuz I was relocating my ecu, trying to find room for an AC box.

"But dude, That bling dash will blind you!" (From the other thread... :lmao:

Owen, your fabrication skills are amazing. Wish I could have poured something off this cover.

I've lost steam in the last two days and still haven't resolved where my lights are dying. Probably won't get back to the Zcar for at least a week. I'm starting to tear into the vette again to put this Exedy stage3 clutch in it.

Mike