HybridZ

Uh, flip floped hybrid.. :)

Cruez

The folks who proudly proclaim "Big American Iron" when they refer to V-8s are failing to see what kind of engine they are actually refering to...

The V engines dating from the early '50s made by American car companies are "compact" designs that allowed engineers to place truly powerful engines in affordable cars... Their success was not achieved through displacement or power directly...but by the ability to fit them into relatively small vehicles.

Many cannot get their heads around the fact that a stout MODERN inline 6 can reliably put down big American V-8 power.... The whole notion that there is ""no replacement for displacement"" is an old timer's quote from a bygone era... Modern technology has allowed tiny engines to produce amazing power.. This attitude about displacement fits right in there with the audiophiles who refuse to abandon the vacume tube...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The folks who proudly proclaim "Big American Iron" when they refer to V-8s are failing to see what kind of engine they are actually refering to...

The V engines dating from the early '50s made by American car companies are "compact" designs that allowed engineers to place truly powerful engines in affordable cars... Their success was not achieved through displacement or power directly...but by the ability to fit them into relatively small vehicles.

Many cannot get their heads around the fact that a stout MODERN inline 6 can reliably put down big American V-8 power.... The whole notion that there is ""no replacement for displacement"" is an old timer's quote from a bygone era... Modern technology has allowed tiny engines to produce amazing power.. This attitude about displacement fits right in there with the audiophiles who refuse to abandon the vacume tube...

I got this out of a very old book... A good book.

...he rose his hands to heaven and proclaimed "Bring me torque and bring it early, yest I grow old in waiting for the turbo lag. Yeah for as long as I am bound by this earth, hevenly torque with a feather's touch beset me, O lord my god."...

And thus beset the first instance of the tradition of exchanging gifts at Christmas.

Even NA motors have come along way. Show me an NA V8 with 140hp per liter. The S2000 did it with a good honda warrenty ;)

But true, most jap motors that have huge potential rely on force induction to get there. But they can still take more of a beating on boost than most V8 motors. 8)

In my mind they're all equal until you're going uber high HP drag only. I can get 600hp out of a honda 4 banger, but at the cost why? I could build a 900hp 2jz, but at the cost why? I could build a 400hp V8 for next to nothing.... I could build a 800hp V8 for cheeper than most any motors.

I personally preferr V6s for NA aplication for thier reduced weight, but V8s are so dirt cheep the build by comparison to most motors out there. Is there anyone out there that's had to fork over the cash for good proven race cams on a 2jz? Dang those cost MONEY.

It's all personal prefference, but all cars have potential with money, wich is why I can't understand why so many people "hate" so many motor/car combos. Lucky us we're better than that here.

I can't understand why so many people "hate" so many motor/car combos.

Because some people are insecure and like to belong to, or believe in, something that is external to those insecurities. Many individuals feel more comfortable 'pidgeon holing' themselves into tightly defined groups where one ideology or belief goes unchallenged. This also compels narrow minded persons to view any other belief/ideologies as inferior to thier own... it makes them feel more secure. Challenges to that security are typically met with ignorance and hostility. It represents a threat that could upset thier complicated, yet flimsy, quantification of self worth and belonging. The 'hate' you speak of is in defense of that threat...

Because some people are insecure and like to belong to, or believe in, something that is external to those insecurities. Many individuals feel more comfortable 'pidgeon holing' themselves into tightly defined groups where one ideology or belief goes unchallenged. This also compels narrow minded persons to view any other belief/ideologies as inferior[/i'] to thier own... it makes them feel more secure. Challenges to that security are typically met with ignorance and hostility. It represents a threat that could upset thier complicated, yet flimsy, quantification of self worth and belonging. The 'hate' you speak of is in defense of that threat...

That is the best explination I've ever heard. :D

Because some people are insecure and like to belong to, or believe in, something that is external to those insecurities. Many individuals feel more comfortable 'pidgeon holing' themselves into tightly defined groups where one ideology or belief goes unchallenged. This also compels narrow minded persons to view any other belief/ideologies as inferior[/i'] to thier own... it makes them feel more secure. Challenges to that security are typically met with ignorance and hostility. It represents a threat that could upset thier complicated, yet flimsy, quantification of self worth and belonging. The 'hate' you speak of is in defense of that threat...

I totally agree that Chevy power IS the best. :twak:

That swap is cool. Just as cool as a big-block. The body needs some work though...and maybe add the "attessa" awd :)

PopNWood- I think what he meant by "high tech" is the variable valve timing/duration, oil-cooled pistons, computer controlled fuel-injection, distributorless coil-on-plug ignition, electronic turbo management, use of composite materials, and also a host of modern emissions devices. Believe it or not, modern science has taken us a long way since the 1940s. BTW I don't know of any pushrod 4cyl cars in mass production today ;)

on another note...

You are a very wise man. Well put!

The supercharged 4.6 DOHC in the 03 cobras had bullitproof internals.

The other DOHC 4.6s arent as strong, but they are stronger then the SOHC engines.

This swap would be great if it was in japan, its hard to get parts for ford V8s there im sure, but from a performance standpoint its not the best idea in the US. I guess it will make all of the F&F target adiance happy.

What would have it cost to build up a 351 with a twin turbo setup.

The exausht is a shame though.

Its a beautiful car, I have to give them that.

• 1 month later...
:icon28: thats it... I am going to get a shebly and put an Rb26 in it........ OMG Im refuse to see that moive now...... although a Shelby kit car with a Ateza (the slip thing from skylines) and AWD... seems like it might be hot.... can you see me pimping the rice boys with a 700 horse AWD "Shelby SkyCobra".... or a "Nissan CobraLine"......muhahahha Im am sad they cut that Stang up... wish it was a camero... or vette....:evil:

The exausht is a shame though.

Its a beautiful car' date=' I have to give them that.[/quote']

Exhaust is b/c japan is lax on Emissions.. but is VERY strict on noise... I think thats the stock skyline exhaust... It wouldnt suprize me If they skinned a skyline as a mustang..... or took a skyline down to the rails and build it back up as a mustang...

• 1 year later...
Guest bojo68
Any 60s era engine is low tech.

Well, I guess that's going to have to include every z before 84 being as that design was bought from the krauts in the late 50's . Take a look a a 59 190d engine, it's the forefather to the L series engines. I don't know about everybody else, but I could give a crap less if it's high tech or low tech, new style or old style, I just want it to work, reliably, and be able to make 4 figure hp numbers everyday, and weigh less than a stock L28. Unlike one of the other posters I saw, I'm willing to go 20$ for mine:)