HybridZ

Ridgeline, Truck of the year?!

rudypoochris

"The 2006 Motor Trend Truck of the Year competition included the following models: Dodge Ram 1500, Dodge Ram Mega Cab, Honda Ridgeline, Isuzu i350, Lincoln Mark LT, and Mitsubishi Raider."

Those motor trend guys are asses, where are the chevy and ford trucks? I mean GMC is known for making trucks, thats all the make acctually. How much did honda pay $$$?

Article link: http://motortrend.com/features/news/2005/112_news051220_truck_of_the_year/

And where is toyota and nissan!?!?

IRS...nuff said! That is no truck

One word - Hummer...

You folks should be aware of how Motor Trend's Car/Truck of the Year Award is rumored to work (as told to me by an ex-editor):

1. The Editors pick the top few candiates from the list of eligable vehicles based on the criteria the Editors establish.

2. Each of those top vehicle manufacturers are contact by Primedia and asked to submit detailed proposals on how they plan to market the whole "Car/Truck of the Year" thing if they win the award. This includes manufacturer/vehicle print advertising in the periodicals owned by Primedia, excluding Motor Trend itself. By excluding Motor Trend from the marketing effort the Editors can claim editorial independence.

3. The winner is generally the manufacturer with the best marketing plan that promotes Motor Trend and the whole "Car/Truck of the Year" thing. If Primedia does not like the marketing plans submitted they will ask the winning manufacturer to resubmit before announcing the award.

Again, that is the rumored process as told to me by an ex-Motor Trend editor. Maybe its all made up.

• 2 months later...

I just read that Consumer Reports rated the Ridgeline as the top pickup. So do you think Consumer Reports is biased as well? Remember, companies are not permited to use Consumer Reports rankings in their advertising.

Crap. Might as well let the guys at Top Gear pick truck of the year. I seem to remember Motor Trend raving about the new Dodge Charger as well..... Seems the Aztec has a lot of competition lately.

Honestly though, I think the Ridgeline has the "potential" to be pretty cool. Take off all the tupperware and put on some real bumpers, give it a rear drive layout like the FX 35/45, and a bit of a suspension lift and it might not be that bad.....

Mike

As someone who is doing the dealer dance for a replacement shop truck, I can tell you that the Ridgeline is no truck. I refer to those kinds of things (Ridgeline, Avalanche, Sport Trac, etc.) as Trucklets. They are fine as cars plus you can maybe put a motorcycle in the back with a couple fuel cans. They are not trucks.

BTW... Nissan still doesn't offer the Titan with an 8 foot bed. They still don't get it.

There are rumours that GM will begin a sales blitz this month on all vehicles to spark some enthusiasm in their products (huge discounts and the 72 month/0% deals). I think GM has some good products, esp. in the truck department, but from what I can tell, their warranty/customer service is crap!

I agree with John and Oleh. This is a car which can perform some truckish functions. If that's what you want, then that's fine. I'm sure Consumer Reports rates independent suspension that gives a nice ride higher than the heavy truck riding straight axle in the F150, Tundra, 1500, or Titan that is built (marginally) strong enough to tow 9000 lbs. Compare to a 3/4 ton or a 1 ton drivetrain and it becomes more ridiculous.

There are rumours that GM will begin a sales blitz this month on all vehicles to spark some enthusiasm in their products (huge discounts and the 72 month/0% deals). I think GM has some good products, esp. in the truck department, but from what I can tell, their warranty/customer service is crap!

We haven't had our truck more than a couple years, but so far I've been totally happy with warranty and customer service from our GMC dealer. They've repaired 2 things, a loose steering coupler, and a squeaky interior panel. Both times they got it right the first time, I take it to the dealer for oil changes because they're CHEAPER than Jiffy Lube, and they'll drop me off and pick me up if I need it. Plus the dealer offers free car washes, and I live close by, so I just drive it down whenever it gets dirty. They've also performed I think 2 recalls. No problem, they call, drop it off, pick it up, done. I can't complain at all.