HybridZ

No more excuses!

OK, so I've been looking and thinking and talking about what motor to build and procrastinating on making any decisions and I'm sure your all tired of me posting this over and over so..

Tomorrow...FIRST thing I'm running down the road and buying a complete early 2bolt that looks to be in pretty good shape, also picking up brand new in box, a set of Edelbrock Alum Heads, Performer RPM Intake, Cam/Lifter/Timing kit, set of KB pistons, rings, Clevite bearings, and a set of Summitt Rods, w/ all gaskets and an ARP bolk kit, all brand new in boxes! On top of that, I'm getting it FAIRLY cheap too!

Pretty much what I have been looking for since i have been stressing over Grumpy posts on studying your needs and parts list, etc..

No more me worrying about getting the right 'combo' of parts, Edelbrock did the work for me right? Anyway, I'm excited, I'm dropping the block and whatever other parts he needs off at the machine shop on my way home :) Time to get this Z OUT of the garage :)

I'm done, thanks!

Bill

Why not a 2 bolt? A 2 bolt can be made stronger than a 4 bolt if you add slayed main caps. A 2 bolt is generally good for up to 500 hp in most cases.

Besides, the 2 bolt should plenty strong enough for the combo BillZ260 has planned. Good luck BillZ260!

Yup, nothing wrong with a two bolt. In some areas you can't even get 4 bolts anymore. So, I'd stick with a two bolt and get some splayed caps only if you plan for higher HP ranges, or forced induction power adders and the like.

Go for it Bill... And While you're at it, finish the Painless wiring, would ya? And take pics! I could use them right now! :lmao:

I have the three primary wires sourced for the wiper power, low and high speeds if anyone is racking their brains on that...

Mike

Mike

I dont have a wiper answer. I am working throught the wiring now. I am at the stage of hooking up the battery charger to different lights and ringing them out. I am creating my own harness starting from scratch. AH whereto fuse? what gauge wire etc. PM me I will look at wiring circuit soon. Looks like there is 2 wires going to the motor. I wonder if there if fast speed is 12v and slow is a lower voltage dropped by a resistor? Any way I understand what you are going through. I have a dash template made. No holes for the gauges yet. I will post some pictures if you want.

To the thread

Good luck on the build. This has been my first SBC and just got it running. There is so mnay options just pick a direction and go. What has amazed me is the HP/$ ratio is very high as compared to building Racing L motors.

Guest Aguyandaredhead

Sweet, at least one of us will have a Z that moves under it's own power soon. Great to hear, Good coice of parts to. I think you will be very happy.

Later

Jeff

Thanks everybody!

Picked up everything this morning, offered him 100 under his bottom dollar and he took it which is 500 less than he listed it all for and about 700 less than it would have cost me to get these NEW parts from Summitt :)

Everything looks great, should hear back from the machine shop Wednesday afternoon, and we'll go from there!

Mike, I havn't decided on how I'm going to do the wipers as of yet, dunno if I should put them on a toggle remove the column switch or hook up the column? We'll see.

$360 for the .030 over bore, Crank ground, Cleaning, freezeplug and cam bearings. Selling the set of Vortec's that need work and another crank I have which should cover a bit under half :)

Will be another $110 or so for the ballance job and maybe get the flywheel re-ground for a bit more. (Looking for the right pressure plate?)

Got to find some new Pistons, anyone need a set of NEW in box KB hypers @ standard bore? (Don't ask) Got a set of new standard rod/main bearins too...

Tired of wondering what I'll be running with my set up so I thought I would post up what my combo will be putting down....(From DD2002)

Looks like it will have plenty of low end torque for the street :) I still have to make a decision on pistons and compression. The KB's that came with it werer standard bore :(. I'll take any suggestions you all have into consideration as far as style and brand.

Specs:

355 (.03 overbore) chevy

Alum Edelbrock Performer Heads w/ 2.02/1.6 valves

Edelbrock Performer 400 Cam .442 lift / 214 Deg Duration

Pistons/Compression????? -- Here I used 9.0

Shorty Square port headers, 2.5" exhaust w/ Dynomax

Curve:

curve.jpg

• 1 month later...

Saturday I picked up ALL my stuff from the machine shop and I'm happy w/ it!

Sat Afternoon i cleaned the crank and got it in the block. Also got the piston ring gaps checked and on the pistons.

Sun Afternoon I got the pistons in the block.. I'll take some pictures when I get the bag off of it next weekend.

Couple of things.

On the timing chain, there is an option to advance or retard the timing by 4 deg. With the cam I am using, is there any reason to do either? I understand what it will do, but is it worth messing with and how will it really change the way the engine reacts?

I STILL have these standard bore pistons!!! I've listed them here and on ebay twice for pretty cheap. They are about 265 new, they are KB hypers w/ a 12cc dish. If any one here knows anyone who might want them holler, I want to get them out of the garage before I decide to make a mobile out of them!!!.

I'll keep plugging on the engine, and working on my clutch solutions. Thanks for your support....

"Specs:

355 (.03 overbore) chevy

Alum Edelbrock Performer Heads w/ 2.02/1.6 valves

Edelbrock Performer 400 Cam .442 lift / 214 Deg Duration

Pistons/Compression????? -- Here I used 9.0

Shorty Square port headers, 2.5" exhaust w/ Dynomax

BillZ260

why not boost the compression ratio to 10.5:1 and swap the cam to a crane 114681, I think youll notice a marked differance in results

"

http://www.cranecams.com/?show=browseParts&action=partSpec&partNumber=114681&lvl=2&prt=5

I hear you grumpy, and thanks for chiming in w/ those suggestions but I am running the parts listed, I am sure that there are better pieces to use in conjunction, but I let the deal give me the parts that I'll use. IF I am going to get this thing runnig, I have to stick with what I have so I can afford all the nickle and dime stuff to get it running.

So, with the parts listed, is there any reason to advance or retard the timing by 4 deg? Pros/Cons either way.