HybridZ

Z31 into S13

Guest HBZ81

Do anyone know of someone dropping a Z31 Turbo engine and tranny into a S13? I think this would make an interesting swap. My main concern is will it be able to fit into the bay without moving things around to much.

My brother wants me to do this swap on his S14. It would definitely be an awesome swap because you get the awesome torque of the VG without a lot of weight. (From what I've found, the VG30E(T) actually weighs less than the KA24DE). On top of weighing less you can get it close to firewall (and being shorter in length than the KA) will move more of the weight to the center. On top of that the engine isn't near as tall lowering your center of gravity for even better handling.

Most of this is speculation but it all makes sense and should definitely work out for some very fun times.

I'm not too sure of the specifics on how to do it yet, as I've not done it, but I think really the hardest part will be the wiring. You mainly just have to make everything work together. I think that since you have the S13 it'll be a bit less of a hassle than the S14 though due to the OBD1 vs. OBD2 ecu's.

Unstable Hybrids actually made motor mounts to do the swap but I'm not sure if they're still in business or not... their website isn't up so I'm not sure. That would really suck if they were because they did some pretty awesome hybrids.

There's a thread that I've seen of someone doing the VG swap into an S13 but I'll have to find it again. I can't remember where its at at the moment.

For now, here are some pictures of that swap that I saved to my computer.

VG%20S13%201.jpg

VG%20S13%202.jpg

VG%20S13%203.jpg

VG%20S13%204.jpg

VG%20S13%205.jpg

VG%20S13%206.jpg

VG%20S13%207.jpg

VG%20S13%208.jpg

Guest Dorifto

The VG30DETT has massive heads - I'm not sure they'd clear stuff without extensive mods.

I'd just stick with the VG30E, and boost the hell out of it. They can handle a lot of abuse before blowing, even on stock parts. Now, imagine building them up [ala 300ZX parts catalogs] ... that sucker would move!

-Dave-O

i'm glad to hear this swap has been done before and won't be a wallet destroyer! now all i need to do is find a decent bodied S13!

My Z31 has an awesome motor but the body is rusted so badly it's not worth fixing up for me, that's why i'm selling it, BUT if i can find some more info on this swap and find a good priced S13 before the Z31 sells, i'll be having some fun!

There also looks to be enough room for a v-mount radiator-intercooler setup, which would be pretty slick on a vg30et. How much wider is the vg with the dual cam heads?

As said above the VG30DE(TT) is a lot wider. On top of that, it is much heavier. From what I hear, well over 500 lbs. The guy that did the VH45DE swap into a Z32 said the VG30DETT was heavier than the VH45 (kind of apples and oranges since the VG is iron block w/ aluminum heads while the VH is all aluminum but compared to the VG30E(T), it is very heavy).

The swap would definitely be awesome. I actually considered doing it in my 280Z until I decided on the VH45. Whenever my brother gets some money together I'll likely be doing this swap into an S14. Should definitely be fun after that.

Anyone got the actual weights of the two?

From another forum, talking about putting one in an s14: "my JDM VG30DETT in full trim (upper plenum, AC, PS, engine mounts, all hoses and wires) weighed 614 lbs. "

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB9&Number=67448080&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

I know there's a guy in indiana put a vg30dett into an s13, but I can't seem to find it.

Seeing that the topic has shifted to intakes, has anyone got any pics of a VG30ET with a single custom forward facing intake?

My idea would be to fabricate a flat aluminium box to sit on top of the present intakes, although I have seen pics of one made from two pieces of aluminium tube (one tube for each bank) that join into one at the front and have a connecting balance tube at the back.

There's a chance the 87+ VG30E(T)'s are slightly heavier than that 392 listed as they changed the design to help NVH. They called the later engines the W block. The page that has all of the changes seems to be down right now but if it comes back up, this is the link: [url']http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~radare/wserieschanges.html[/url]

I don't know why I didn't remember but I've had this on my computer the whole time. Its up on my site now:

Right click and save as please.

http://www.machzracing.com/various/87%20Engine%20changes.rtf