HybridZ

Is is true or is it a Urban Legend?

240ZR

The Basic story is, some how some kid gets a 502 Chevy or some other big block, he gets a real deal on it at a junk yard on ebay, puts it in and fires it up only to find out he has 5(or 6) speeds of reverse.... or something along the lines of some one getting a the back-wards spinning big block, out of a marine set up on accident.... I've heard this tale 3-4 times... I was wondering if its even possiable... I mean wouldn't you have to wire the starter backward? or would it just be a rough start? I mean other then the starter I really couldnt see any major things that would of stoped this from maybe happeneing once....

Reverse rotation engines are old news, been around for 40+ years, check Smokey Yunick's books. I know that Isky makes reverse rotation cams and gear drives. Starter is about the only issue.

Dose that mean my BWT5 would be 5 speeds of reverse and one of Forward?

whata bout the alternator? wouldnt that give the wrong charge tot he battery? wouldnt it be simpler to wire the battery backwards??

Erverse orteration is what happened when I was abducted and probed by aliens in New Mexico.......................left me with a permanent limp....that urban kid from the inter city passed his examination becuz successful completion entitlement was a reverse rotation 502 BBC reward. George Bush got a full blown VW in 1968 from em. Where you think he was when he was absent all those times in the Air National Guard. I will tell you....he was getting probed for a reverse rotation VW. His mama would not let him complete his dune buggy project.... too fast and dangerous for him . He wound up and sold his VW engine and enrolled in a home study bar tending and auctioneer schoolong program which led him towards a political career in Texas. Notice how he has trouble getting all his words out....that's the effect from the alien probing. I limp and he stammers but I still have my reverese rotation lawn mower engine and that urban kid is a famous Nascar driver. As for GW, now you know the real story where he got the most of his probe. Some folks think , he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth..............Not true...........and I did not get a boot in my posterior either for being too slow in boot camp...Lot of disabilities due to alien probing that the government keeps real quiet for security reasons..

mabye at the same time he did the swap he decided to flip is rear axel upside down

Yes, that is exactly what he did, and even why he did it. Something about going around a circle track in one direction and wanting the engine torque pushing (I think) the inner wheel back down.

I had a farmer friend claim he once reverse charged a battery on his tractor. So when he started it the diesel ran backwards. I don't know if it is possible to reverse charge a battery, but I do know a diesel is just as happy to run backwards as forwards.

The alt. makes AC power that is converted to DC. no problems there.

True, alternators will put out the same current regardless of the direction of rotation, but they do make alternators for reverse rotation applications that have the pitch of the cooling blades (either external or internal) reversed. It is more efficient to cool the alternator by flowing air through it from the front to the back of the alternator.

I don't know if the story is true, but there are reverse rotation marine engines. Chrysler and chevy both built them. Camshaft, oil pump, and starter are different, firing order is changed on the distributor. The chrysler cranks had the oil knurls on the rear of the crank reversed; supposedly some of the reverse rotation cranks found there way into some Imperials, and they had a rear main leak that was impossible to fix!

jt

I had a farmer friend claim he once reverse charged a battery on his tractor. So when he started it the diesel ran backwards. I don't know if it is possible to reverse charge a battery' date=' but I do know a diesel is just as happy to run backwards as forwards.[/quote']

Was it a british battery? haha.

I think he meant he reversed the leads on the battery.

Erverse orteration is what happened when I was abducted and probed by aliens in New Mexico.......................left me with a permanent limp....that urban kid from the inter city passed his examination becuz successful completion entitlement was a reverse rotation 502 BBC reward. George Bush got a full blown VW in 1968 from em. Where you think he was when he was absent all those times in the Air National Guard. I will tell you....he was getting probed for a reverse rotation VW. His mama would not let him complete his dune buggy project.... too fast and dangerous for him . He wound up and sold his VW engine and enrolled in a home study bar tending and auctioneer schoolong program which led him towards a political career in Texas. Notice how he has trouble getting all his words out....that's the effect from the alien probing. I limp and he stammers but I still have my reverese rotation lawn mower engine and that urban kid is a famous Nascar driver. As for GW, now you know the real story where he got the most of his probe. Some folks think , he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth..............Not true...........and I did not get a boot in my posterior either for being too slow in boot camp...Lot of disabilities due to alien probing that the government keeps real quiet for security reasons..

I KNEW IT! Finally someone who is making sence on this board. Reverse this turbo that, where's the real meat on this board? I just found it. That's hot!

I don't think just switching the starter or battery would allow you to run the engine in reverse rotation. Normally, for each cylinder, the camshaft opens the intake valve first and the exhaust valve second, which in reverse would be the exhaust valve first and the intake valve second. So you would at least need a reverse rotation camshaft. On the other hand, maybe a 2-stroke would do it.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=102894