HybridZ

Speaking of Shoehorns!!!

Poundz9oh9

That looks like it'd be either insanely fun or insanely scary to drive....

Mario

By looks alone Id guess its about 1100lbs with drive and a block likw that could easly be 500 horse.... so thats a what 7 second 1/4? too lazy to look it up.... tis fast...

You might be surprised... Case in point...

The shop where we had JIm Mcnemar's red car built wheeled in a custom kit car 32 Ford coupe. It was a bigblock chevy car sporting a roots blower and an owner who claimed 700+WHP.

Talk about crying the blues when we put that thing on the rollers and it wouldn't even twist 300 to the wheels... :lmao:

After the car was completely redone and the proper tune was put to it, the car actually made over 475WHP, but it took a complete rebuild and a LOT of tuning of the blower/ carbs/ Fuel/ Ignition/ Timing to get the car to perform like it should.

Big block roots blower type cars look hot, and roots blowers in general LOOK menacing on any car. But don't be fooled. They aren't the best way to make big power unless you're a pro shop running a PRO NHRA drag car and have the staff on hand to deal with the complexities. (Newer type blowers used in oem FI Cars excluded of course!)

Nope, Every single hotrodder I've seen running a roots blower on their personal hotrod has experienced nothing but problems and quakes at the thought of actually getting on the rollers to find out how poor the car is performing. :lmao:

Mike

Anyone else see the 2 Guys Garage show on Speed a couple weeks ago? They put a roots blower on a GM 5.3L and it turned out either 410 hp and 390 ft/lbs, or 390hp and 410 ft/lbs. Pretty impressive. It was also intercooled with a little heat exchanger thingy between the blower and the manifold that had it's own cooling system and a little radiator up front. Kind of off topic I know, but I was impressed. And that blower was relatively tiny.

I'll be another one to put the 454 with roots on the dyno. Expecting 500whp. I built this engine for low rev,4500rpm. I am expecting 650tq all across the board. I think it goes without saying that all kinds of people don't put down what they expect because there cars aren't tuned right. :)

Big block roots blower type cars look hot, and roots blowers in general LOOK menacing on any car. But don't be fooled. They aren't the best way to make big power unless you're a pro

That is what all guys say that aren't running a big block, heh heh

somebody has to raz you guys

DYNO_RUN_5-10-05_001_2_.jpg

This dyno run was done after I changed pulleys on the blower to make 10lbs. boost. You may note that this was run 37 on my car, so I don't think I' m quaking too much at the thought of a dyno run :eek2:. Also my two tuners will be happy to be put into the drag race guru's company. If you notice my old chevy heads were running out of steam around 3800 rpms. This week my 195 AFR heads are going in and I'll give you an update later. I'm leaving SAT. for a week in HI. so will post the results later. I would of let this pass but after reading all the RX-7 and LSxxxx posts I felt like it was time to respond to this thread to give a little pat on the back for my roots blower and a 355 SBC. :cheers:

It's all good in the hood,

LARRY

Jmortenson, Those Magnesun superchargers are prefered over centrifugal superchargers (which is why I caveated the comments I made abover in parens) and the tuners I know prefer them. Only issue is hood clearance, so the bulging hood is a tip that something more is at play than a heads cam deal.

Cozy, I bet if you asked anyone that didn't know your car, but saw it running around town (Especially youngsters and old time hotrodders) that every single one of them would say "Man I bet that car make 500HP at the wheels" and NOT 320WHP.

I'm not knocking your build, or your car. But it's been my experience that most guys who install roots blower (Big or smallblock) generally expect more than they get in return. Now, is it the TUNER or the configuration?

MY bet is on a little of both. There's a reason they are still used heavily in NHRA and IHRA competition. I just don't think they are ideal for an "optimal" street performance car. Just my opinion.

Mike

I'm with mike. A case in point that I've witnessed is a blown 454 powered tube chassis vega turning 10.60's @125mph, where my boys little z turns 10.45's on motor alone. And they are probably comprable in weight! So that blown 454 is only putting down about 400WHP, but it looks impressive especially with the dual carbs and all.

I wouldn't be suprised if that car only puts down 300WHP but with such a short wheelbase would be difficult to handle.

Another case in point is Joe Saavedra who had a blown 355 sbc with pro ported dart 2 iron heads on alcohol in a 220" dragster with a glide in the southwest supercharger series. He has run 6.90's at 200+mph and he runs detuned 7.70's at 175 all day. He's running a .630 lift custom blower roller grind and turning 8500 rpm. Do the calculations on HP for an 1800lb dragster running 175mph, works out to about 753 HP by mph, and 779 HP by ET. Pretty impressive for a blown SBC. His engine builder claimed 1200HP with 22% OD on blower and the 6.90 timeslip shows a little better than that! He flipped the car and the motor is for sale now and can be had for 10K.

It seems that roots blowers can be easily outdone with turbo's in a more street friendly version or by the centrifugal charger folks as well since I've seen several turbo cars on the chassis dyno's put down 1200WHP!. Don't the procharger people have a compact mounting system? I think they have also put down some impressive numbers as well. It's technology folks, gets better all the time!

Not to say that Cole's car is slow, look at the torque on that thing down low!! It should also be noted that it has a fairly wide powerband.

Personally I like to use the average amount torque, throughout engines usable powerband. This will best overall power band. Or the area under the curve for calculas types.

Roots blowers can be a bit of a pig at high rpms's much more rotating mass. They also have problems with puddling of fuel on top the rotors if you use a carb. They generate quite a bit of heat as well. A lyscombing supercharger (twin screw) is much more effecient.

I think why NHRA still uses the old roots is to try and limits HP and top speed, safety I think.

It seems that roots blowers can be easily outdone with turbo's

I agree with that statement, and what made me choose roots on big block for my rod is 3 things:

1. turbos on 454 would have been too much power for my goal(500 goal)

2. BBC with blower looks awesome, like you all say

3. torque from 1500 to 4500 will be a lot of fun on the street and 454 will live a long life seeing only low revs

And if I don't like turbos can go on as it will be fuel injected and computer controlled spark.

And also because I want to play with a computer controlled roots setup, I would never do it if I had to run carbs, :)

I agree that Roots blowers are not without problems, but the general concept of the car in this thread - tiny chassis, huge engine - is stylistically impressive nonetheless. The builder definitely gets my respect.

That said, some relatively "minor" (given the level of effort already invested) modifications would tone down the visual cues, improve drivability and ultimately performance.

For 500 hp in a 454, one would think that forced induction is unnecessary. With good heads, a roller cam and "proper component matching" (as the mantra goes), 500 hp with single n/a 4-barrel on a 4000-rpm torque peak and 6000 rpm redline doesn't strike me as at all exotic; at least, that's essentially the goal for my own car.