HybridZ

Why everybody selling there Z's lately????

Guest ON3GO

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bastaad525

hey if someone in SoCal wants to offer to store mine for free or a very reasonable fee then yeah I'll keep the car no prob.

I definately agree that no matter what I WILL regret selling later down the road because there will come a time when I'll want another one and I know they're only going to get harder and harder to come by.

I haven't even looked into storage yet so I dont even know what it will cost. I dont like the idea of it sitting for a long time but that's better than losing it forever :-D

I dunno guys don't count me out just yet... I'm barely even trying to sell it and since I don't really WANT to sell it I've been kinda uh... impatient with potential buyers which seems to be chasing them off :toetap05: It's a painful thing to sell it and I really just want someone to come, see it, go for a ride and whip out the cash, if it's gonna be all this tire kicking and dicking around on the price and basically just drawing out what is already an unpleasant experience then I get irritated so I think I pissed a few guys off. Oh well :twisted:

My reasons might sound lame to most of you, but I've got too many toys...

I LOVE MY Z...and I've had it for a while and LOVE driving it. But I just don't have the time to finish it. It's been sitting in the garage for over a year now and I haven't had the time to do anything to it. I drive it some on the weekends but that's about it. I recently moved to a lake and I want to buy another boat, but the wifey says I must sell some toys before I can buy anything else...and I agree with her because I've got WAY too many projects right now and I don't have room for everything in the garage as it is. Believe me, I will cry when I see it go, literally! My father and I put alot of work into it, and he recently passed away, so it has sentimental value as well...but you gotta do whatcha gotta do. So I'm going to let it go and maybe I'll get another one some day...I would love to see someone else finish it, instead of letting it just sit in my garage collecting dust. Everyone tells me I'm crazy for even thinking about selling it...and I know that I'll regret it. But here it is...

http://classifieds.hybridz.org/showproduct.php?product=1862&limit=&cat=8&page=1&sortby=&sorttime=&way=

http://members.tripod.com/~SnowSurfer/zcar1.html

I still need to do more body work and finish molding in the rear around the tail lights before I could do that...but yeah, I agree.

There was one on Ebay a couple of weeks ago that looked pretty close to mine, same color and body kit, except it was finished and it went for over $12,000.

Here's the link to that one, if you haven't seen it...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4597465819&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AVRI

The car is sold, but the ad and pictures are still there...

Meh.... you know I've was thinking fo selling mine... I went and drove a g35... and i drove a Evo. and i drove a S60R.... and then a Z4.... none of them had the same feel as a Z there is nothing like an old school car sports car.... I can feel the road, i can feel the throttle... I hate all this fly by wire computerized crap....... give me a classic hot rod and i am happy.... the new Hybrid is the Hybrid MiniCooper with the ls7 in it >;)

I've had my Z since mid college days. Since about 1989 or so. It's the same Z only lots of money and mods have gone into it over the past...2006-1989= 17 years. I am a loyal person and seems like I owe the Z a good life. I have had three daily drivers parked next to the Z since about 1993. Each one was an improvement over the next as I established myself financially. First a used 1990 Civic (40K miles to 140K miles broke down twice), next a used 1996 240SX (55k miles to 110k miles, broke once), now a new 2002 Subaru WRX (0-80k miles not a hitch yet). All along, I was able to keep the Z and improve it a little at a time. When I bought it for $3500 with 69,000 original miles, I told the owner that if he ever saw it again, it would be better than it was that day. No, the Z can't do everything but it does a damn lot. It's cheap to own and easy to work on. Work on it if you want or just drive it. It's generally very, very, reliable.

My friend with a 1996 Twin Turbo Porsche AWD, drove my Z and calls it "the machine" He had a grin from ear to ear when driving my Z. You just can't get the same feel from a newer car.

In addition, don't be fooled, selling your Z is not really a profitable thing to do. In most cases, you might as well just keep it and use it on weekends for fun. The fun/money ratio is high in a Z.

My reasons might sound lame to most of you' date=' but I've got too many toys...

I LOVE MY Z...and I've had it for a while and LOVE driving it. But I just don't have the time to finish it. It's been sitting in the garage for over a year now and I haven't had the time to do anything to it. I drive it some on the weekends but that's about it. I recently moved to a lake and I want to buy another boat, but the wifey says I must sell some toys before I can buy anything else...and I agree with her because I've got WAY too many projects right now and I don't have room for everything in the garage as it is. Believe me, I will cry when I see it go, literally! My father and I put alot of work into it, and he recently passed away, so it has sentimental value as well...but you gotta do whatcha gotta do. So I'm going to let it go and maybe I'll get another one some day...I would love to see someone else finish it, instead of letting it just sit in my garage collecting dust. Everyone tells me I'm crazy for even thinking about selling it...and I know that I'll regret it. But here it is...

http://classifieds.hybridz.org/showproduct.php?product=1862&limit=&cat=8&page=1&sortby=&sorttime=&way=

http://members.tripod.com/~SnowSurfer/zcar1.html

Lee, gald to hear you are still around. Always looked forward to reading your posts in the days when HybridZ was small. Guys, this is the founder of the F150 clutch master swap for T5s, aftermarket T56s! Brilliant! Good luck! John

Lee, glad to hear you are still around. Always looked forward to reading your posts in the days when HybridZ was small. Guys, this is the founder of the F150 clutch master swap for T5s, aftermarket T56s! Brilliant! Good luck! John

Hey!!!...Mr. John Scott and SuperDan, wassssssup!?!

Was that the "good 'ol days" or what, huh? Just a small group of guys, all trying to build a V8 Z...or trying to fix them when they broke. And back then it was ONLY V8 Z's...and we would laugh about the stuff going on with the "other" Z board, after we got infiltrated by one of their members. Yep...that was the days! I can remember working on the Z, getting stuck on a problem, and running in from the garage all greasy, to log in and ask questions. Yep, back then my keyboard was always a mess!

So are you and anyone else still using the F150 clutch setup?...I still drive my Z on the weekends and that setup is still working good for me. Well, it's good to talk to you again, and everyone else too. I talk to MikeKZ every once in a while...but I think he's disowned me because I can never make it to any events or hang out with him anymore. But hey, I haven't sold my Z yet...and might not, so you never know. I might just get back into it in the future. I will talk to you all later...

JuJu

Ahh, the good old days. Back when you could be a hero with a jetting recomendation, blower pulley update, or TV cable adjustment. My interest comes and goes, usually acording to my income, but to HybridZ's credit, (administrators, moderators, die hard fans), it has grown into a phenominal site with more talented...( and scary fast) members than ever. Still the only real source for this nasty addiction. I'll stay off the site and out of my car for weeks, sometimes months, then after a drive, get reinspired. I feeling like I had to sell mine a year ago, but still manging to pay the bills. John

Hey, gentlemen...:icon6:

It's been a while, hasn't it? I guess this is the discussion I've been looking for to explain why I haven't been around in so long. I had to sell the 240 turbo, well, because I needed money on the double. Now, I kick myself in the nuts for it every damn day, but i might have lost my house if i didn't.:cry:

Now, life's good again... wife and I are both working, not flat broke anymore, but the only Z i have is a solid couple of years from the road. I'm looking to start that project this summer.

I'll always remember that white 240... I still think it's the coolest car I've ever owned. but the sacrifice it made to help me out of a huge and nearly catastrophic hole is something I'll never forget either, and I only hope that she's being loved. :icon6:

And to the Hybrid crew... I missed all of you and I'm going to be back around more now. It was really hard to come here for a while knowing my Z was gone, and how I got to the point that it had to go, and along with a bunch of other things it was a really awful year. But it's a new year, I'm working on a record and starting a record label, gotten into producing/recording, etc. I'm starting to ramble so that's it for now.... I'll be around!

Bob

Well I have had like 4 Z cars allready. The one I have know I hope is the last. I have had put so much money in it right know its not funny I sold my turbo mustang 5.0 and my toyota truck and im driving my dads truck know im carless. I spent all the money on my 70Z im glad to say all I need know is to put the motor in it and im back on the road. I loved Z cars since my dad put a 383 performance motor on a 72z when I was 10 in 1992 then I fell in Love Im going with the flattop n42 head combo but thats enough power for me. Here is a picture of my baby.

005_21A.jpg

Well I have had like 4 Z cars allready. The one I have know I hope is the last. I have had put so much money in it right know its not funny I sold my turbo mustang 5.0 and my toyota truck and im driving my dads truck know im carless. I spent all the money on my 70Z im glad to say all I need know is to put the motor in it and im back on the road. I loved Z cars since my dad put a 383 performance motor on a 72z when I was 10 in 1992 then I fell in Love Im going with the flattop n42 head combo but thats enough power for me. Here is a picture of my baby.

005_21A.jpg

Is that a current pic? When you said you sold 2 vehicles to fnud your project I assumed you had invested alot of money in your Z? Am i missing something?

Well even though my wife has spent 65K (30K in that last 3 years) of debt on credit cards in our 18 years together I will get my Z together and painted before I dorvice her. After that that I will be gone and if she wants 1/2 of my Z I will insit on 1/2 of her clothes and shoes witch I will burn (because they will not fit me) and that would be more that the z is worth.

Don

Just some insight into why some people sell their Z's:

I think we all go through our Z experience stamping our foot down and saying "I will never sell my Z!" I recently went through one of those life changes, and have come to the point where I need to sell my Z. I finally graduated college, finally moved out of my parent's house, and finally got a (real) job. What my Z provided me during my college years was a learning experience in how to fix cars and how to re-engineer cars. I majored in automotive, but no kind of class is going to teach me how to stuff a V8 in a car that originally came with an I-6. Starting with the turbo engine I had, it gave me a good insight into how turbo cars are setup and what requirements they need. Then with the V8, I learned about Chevy engines and what combinations to use on them to make more power. I swore I would never sell my Z, but circumstances are forcing it. When I moved I could only bring 1 car, so I had to bring my 240sx. It has been my faithful steed for 7 years. I no longer have any spare money like I did in college. I no longer have a place to work on a car like I did in college. And, I am ~1500 miles away from my Z. Even though the company I work for gave me relocation assistance, I still had to borrow money to move here b/c I had spent all of my money on my Z.

Right now I have reached the point where I feel I may never get the chance to work on a car until I retire :(

I think I am at the point now where I would like to sell my ZX and continue on someday with a 240Z, as I have never experienced a 1st generation car. I'm not a carburetor person and wish I had waited to do an LX1 Chevy swap. I have had a good time with the ZX though, and its a very capable machine. AFAIK, I believe I am the only hybrid Zer to have both a turbo swap and a V8 swap in the same Z. Anyone else???

Guest bastaad525

just a little update... things seem to be 'heating up' or... hell I dunno another good cliche I can use here...

Basically, I've got three guys who seem truly serious, have the money, aren't trying to haggle the price (at least, not yet), aren't trying to pay me with a check... two are local and one from florida who is my last hope if the local guys fall thru (still very nervous about doing out of state but will be using paypal and covering all my bases on this one).

So... there's a good chance by this time next week the car will be gone...

It's a really sucky, weird, and surreal feeling...

• 2 weeks later...

I am on the opposite side of this thing from most of you guys. I had a Z in high school and college. I then went out into the working world and onto new cars. I have had a 1997 Prelude, a 2002 BMW M3, and now have a 2006 M45 as my daily driver. I just recently purchased a 72 240 as a project car.

Maybe all of you are too close. It's like when you meet a girl, you love all those quirky little things about her. As time goes on all these same things start to annoy you. But when she is gone you miss her.

The 240z is a fantastic car. It's design is timeless and even now doesn't look dated. It is the forebearer of all Japanese sports cars in America. Now that it is more than 30 years old, I think the value is only going to go up, like the 60's Muscle cars already have.

Maybe it is the distance of time that is tainting my memory. But I loved my first Z and I am sure that I will love this one. There is something pure and simple about the experience of driving and owning a Z. For me it is not a compromise, I could afford to buy just about any (within reason) car I wanted.

I wanted a Z.

You may be right... However, there are some of us that have owned our little nightmares, I mean projects for going on decades. Sometimes you have to walk away from it just to clear your head, for months! :lmao:

I've owned no less than one Zcar and sometimes as many as 4 at a time, since 1987. Next year it'll be 20 years since my uncle (Died last year) got me into Zcars. I sometimes wish I could get rid of mine, Only because now I have the time, but not the space for something more "interesting" to me. Will I ever be without a Datsun? I don't know... Would be hard to comprehend. But knowing what I know now, I'm not sure I'd have started this journey 20 years ago with this particular platform. Maybe I would have, who knows...

Mike