HybridZ

you know the love affair with your car is over when....

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

Well, I guess this really is a mostly moot issue at this point... at least as far as the GTO specifically is concerned. After much calling around and 'haggling' (I use this word very loosely in this case) with salesmen over the phone, two things are very apparent to me:

1. No dealer around here wants to come down much off the MSRP, and NO dealer seems willing to come all the way down to the price I was aiming for which was $28-29k or total about $31,000 out the door with tax and title. Funny enough, last year when I was shopping around I seem to remember seeing several for even less than $28,000, '05's with the 400hp, not the '04's... dealers were pratically BEGGING to get them off the lots. At the time I didn't think I could afford more than $25k though. Actually... correction, ONE dealer I talked to today actually did come pretty close, down to high $28k and like $31,000 out the door, but....

2. No dealer wants to give me a fair price for my car as a trade in. I'm getting offers of like $14,000.... This is total BS given that the the Kelly Blue Book trade in value with the low miles and obviously in excellent condition is low $17,000 (private party is like $19k and retail sale value is right at $20k), but no dealership wants to even come close to that. I'm not willing to take a ramming up my behind, dry, on my brand frickin new car. FOURTEEN THOUSAND!!! Do they think I'm an idiot? So they can turn around and make $5-6k off me ON TOP of the couple grand they make off the sale for the GTO?

So basically what it's come down to is I can't afford a new GTO, and even used '05's are still very high $20,000's... which might be doable IF I can get the same term and interest as I would on a new car (Mikelly I will check with our credit union and see what they can offer us)... otherwise, factor in higher interest and a shorter term and monthly payments get way higher than I can afford. I don't want an '04, even though they are dirt cheap (found many of them in the low low $20k's)... with only 350 hp I've no doubt it would actually end up slower than my SRT... and anyways I don't want a high mileage used car... 15,000 or less is about as high as I'd settle for. This is one of the reasons I'm not really considering a C5 Vette... by the way I wasn't able to find a Z06 for $30k or less anyways. I'd take a standard C5, and am still looking to see if I can find one with decent low miles, my color and trans preferences, for less than $30k.

Guess this idea is dead in the water... at least for now... once I get to Virginia I'll see if I can't find a much better deal. I should be able to as these CA salesmen are retards and are all stuck on "oh this car is going to be collectible! It's the last year they're making them!". It's the last year they're making them because no one's BUYING them, idiots....

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad you're not down here - I have a connection on an '03 Mustang GT with 45,000 miles for $14,300. Just add ESP to that, and you're good to roll. Speaking of which, I've been driving it for the past two weeks or so, and one night when I was on I-35, an SRT-4 pulled beside me, wanting to race me. He had an aftermarket BOV and when he spooled up his turbo, it didn't make a little pssssss noise, but more of a ssshhhhh noice -- it sounded massive. I was in 3rd gear, and he couldn't ever pull ahead of me. It actually suprised me, I figured he'd walk away. But anyways, I'd take a C5 Z06 any day.

This thread reminds me of my test drive of a 1998 Z28 Camaro (the first year of the LS1). I was all excited about a reasonable (on paper) RWD stick-shift V8. The car was supposed to be a rocket. It wasn't.

A couple of months ago Mike Kelly gave me a ride in his modified C5 Corvette. By all evidence his car is at the sweet spot of LSx streetable modification. But I was - underwhelmed.

Whenever I come across a promising new car, invariably the euphoria fades after the first test drive, or in some cases even the first test ride. So I made the decision that it's pointless to salivate over OEM "performance" cars. I might as well drive an economy car and go for the reliability and low costs. And save aspirations of performance for the Z.

Still, now that my Z is "finally" coming together, I'm worried that the acceleration will turn out to be a disappointment.

Guest bastaad525

Michael - I know where you're coming from dude! My 240z, in it's final state of tune before I sold it (L28ET stock turbo 14psi), which should have been a bona fide high 12 second car, so far has been the only car to actually SCARE me, it felt so fast and threw me back in the seat so hard. Chalk it up to the massive torque (303 ftlbs measured at the wheels), light weight (2600lbs with me in it), super stiff suspension, and utter lack of any kind of sound deadening or weatherstripping... all adding up to the sensation of being super fast... faster than it was, really. I think some of these very same factors also contribute the SRT feeling faster than it really is (torquey, light, stiff, and loud).

I have actually had the opportunity to drive several other fast cars, from the GTO I just test drove, to a BMW M3, a Vortech supercharged 400 hp Lexus IS 300, a non Z06 C5, a last gen Supra TT, to an Aston Martin Vanuish S V12.... which all should have been just about as fast as if not faster than my Z... yet NONE of them impressed me nor did any of them 'feel' as fast as the Z did... the Aston was really the only one but I think it was just the super instant response of that sweet V12... it actually was scary for the ohhhh .2 of a second that I got on the throttle :mrgreen:

I dont' know how your perception of 'fast' may differ from mine... I mean when the cars I mentioned above don't feel fast I figure I must be pretty damned picky or just have an insensitive backside! But I would say if you're at all like me... dont' worry your Z will feel plenty fast to you even if those other cars did not :mrgreen:

Michael - I know where you're coming from dude! My 240z' date=' in it's final state of tune before I sold it (L28ET stock turbo 14psi), which should have been a bona fide high 12 second car, so far has been the only car to actually SCARE me, it felt so fast and threw me back in the seat so hard. Chalk it up to the massive torque (303 ftlbs measured at the wheels), light weight (2600lbs with me in it), super stiff suspension, and utter lack of any kind of sound deadening or weatherstripping... all adding up to the sensation of being super fast... faster than it was, really. I think some of these very same factors also contribute the SRT feeling faster than it really is (torquey, light, stiff, and loud).

I have actually had the opportunity to drive several other fast cars, from the GTO I just test drove, to a BMW M3, a Vortech supercharged 400 hp Lexus IS 300, a non Z06 C5, a last gen Supra TT, to an Aston Martin Vanuish S V12.... which all should have been just about as fast as if not faster than my Z... yet NONE of them impressed me nor did any of them 'feel' as fast as the Z did... the Aston was really the only one but I think it was just the super instant response of that sweet V12... it actually was scary for the ohhhh .2 of a second that I got on the throttle :mrgreen:

I dont' know how your perception of 'fast' may differ from mine... I mean when the cars I mentioned above don't feel fast I figure I must be pretty damned picky or just have an insensitive backside! But I would say if you're at all like me... dont' worry your Z will feel plenty fast to you even if those other cars did not :mrgreen:[/quote']

The flatter and meatier the torque curve, the less scary the car is going to feel. After driving a 500RWHP 03 Cobra (with a 475 ft lbs of torque), a 500RWHP single turbo MKIV Supra felt insanely fast. It was the way the turbo came on the and the way the torque curve came up so abruptly and hard. The Cobra is actually faster by a hair, but the Supra felt so much more the point.

Your best bet is to continue to test drive cars...try a Subaru WRX STi, Legacy GT b.spec, Mistu EVO, Pontiac GTO, C5 Z06, etc... The more you drive, the better the comparisons you can make between every car and find the one you want (maybe your SRT4 or an old Z like the one you had).

Guest bastaad525

I dunno... the Z had a pretty flat torque curve... and the SRT also has a very flat torque curve (peak torque is flat from 2200-4400rpm and falls off nice and slow after that). They both feel plenty quick... the Z's turbo kicking in was VERY noticeable but with the SRT the turbo is so small and spools so quick you almost can't tell it's turbocharged.

I imagine that Aston had a very flat torque curve as well with that V12 and it felt pretty scary when I punched it for a split second... kinda relative I guess though.

Conversely, that supercharged Lexus IS 300 I drove was VERY peaky... it didn't even start to feel like it was going until after 4000rpm... it then came 'on' very suddenly... yet that car did not feel scary at all. It felt unresponsive and heavy... and definately didnt' feel the 400 hp the owner claimed it had though given the hardware I've no reason to doubt it was making that power.

So in my experience it doesn't really seem to be the shape of the torque curve or how it kicks in... it seems to be more a factor of how stiff the suspension is, and how solid the car is overall. Newer, more expensive cars, heavier cars, ones with better sound deadening or softer suspensions, 'feel' slower even if they are quite fast (GTO, IS 300, Supra). Stiffly sprung, light cars, ones w/o all the sound deadening, feel faster to me (Z, SRT). The Aston I think... couldn't feel anything BUT fast no matter how heavy it was or how well the sound insulation worked :D

Your best bet is to keep your SRT and pay it down. You are about 6 months into the loan, and you're not gonna get a favorable trade in.

Michael, You're the wrong guy to comment on cars in general, dude. Your expectations of every car you drive are of endless torque below 3K rpms... I've never met anyone like you when it comes to cars in general.

My C5 is a 11.7second quarter mile car, and just like any other car with a cam in it, you need to get it into the cam's performance range. Michael's idea of a "test" was to have me roll onto the gas crawling at 1000 rpms in first gear. Never mind the fact that my torque ramp up is at 2K rpms. :roll:

No, Michael, I've pretty much given up on figuring our your car goals...

Basstaad, you need to pay down the loan more before you even think about selling it.

Mike

Guest bastaad525
Your best bet is to keep your SRT and pay it down. You are about 6 months into the loan' date=' and you're not gonna get a favorable trade in.

Michael, You're the wrong guy to comment on cars in general, dude. Your expectations of every car you drive are of endless torque below 3K rpms... I've never met anyone like you when it comes to cars in general.

My C5 is a 11.7second quarter mile car, and just like any other car with a cam in it, you need to get it into the cam's performance range. Michael's idea of a "test" was to have me roll onto the gas crawling at 1000 rpms in first gear. Never mind the fact that my torque ramp up is at 2K rpms. :roll:

No, Michael, I've pretty much given up on figuring our your car goals...

Basstaad, you need to pay down the loan more before you even think about selling it.

Mike[/quote']

True... well I am making a point as well to pay over just my minimum required monthly payment, and anything I pay over the minimum I put straight on the principal.

Otherwise, I have gone ahead and put a private party ad on the SRT forums... seeing if I can get $18-19k for it which is blue book private party price and more than what I owe... but now that I only have a couple weeks left before I have to send it off to VA I know nothing will probably come of it.

I think my expectations for car performance are pretty high too and maybe not realistic. It's just funny... HP is HP but HP in different cars can feel totally different... the weight of the car, the gearing, the shape of the power curve, and again, the solidity of the car, can all contribute to (or take away from!) the sensation of 'going fast'. I'm sure your car would feel fast to me Mike :mrgreen: and I do know where you're coming from as far as, I remember when I put the performance cam in my N/A SU powered 2.9 motor and yeah suddenly it felt like a slug below about 4000rpm and in 'normal' driving actually became a lot less fun. But once it got into it's power range it was a screamer and actually felt a lot faster than it was... to the point that when I first swapped in the turbo motor it felt SO much slower.

Also your car again brings to mind that supercharged Lexus IS300 I drove... same kinda deal there it didn't 'come on cam' until like 4000rpm and even with a serious 400 wheel hp it just felt slow because of that 'lag'. I didn't stay on it long enough to get up to speed and shift thru a few gears to see how it felt once it was in and STAYING in the powerband.

Here's a stupid question for you since I didn't get to test drive that GTO with traction control off.... if I HAD turned it off, up to what gear do you guys think it would have been able to break the tires loose going in a straight line on dry pavement? I'm thinking it would have done it even in 3rd gear.

And what about the skip shifting? For all I could tell it did NOT do that as I got to go thru all six forward gears in only moderately 'sprited' driving. Like 1500 rpm at 65mph :shock: wish my SRT did that!!

Sorry man but no one else said it yet... We told you so! It was just a matter of time before you posted about this.

Not trying to sound like a jerk man. I really feel sorry for you. You got caught in the trap I have seen many a Z owner make...and after 17 years of Z ownership and Z club participation, I've seen lots come and go, and sometimes come back!.. maybe you should just buy another Z!

How about the Saturn Sky?

eh forget it.. don't get yourself further in debt! dig yourself out first. Learn your lesson, and then get a Z ! :P

Mike,

Of course your car – any car – will produce more torque in the rpm band where volumetric efficiency is highest.

But we both agree that the whole point of a large V8 in a “relatively†light car is to avoid peaky response. Breadth over depth, you might say. Your Vette might reach 450 ft-lbs at 4500 rpm (or whatever it happens to be), but surely it’s making an honest 60% of that at 1000 rpm – right? Right? :-) And even that should feel pretty stout.

To better explain what I want in a car, here’s an analogy…. A moderately athletic adult human produces around 1/3 – 1/2 peak hp. That ain’t much. Power to wait ratio would be around 1:400! And quarter mile performance would be – well, right around 1 minute. But if you can run the 50-yard dash in, say, 7 seconds (this was reasonably good performance in junior high physical education class), you can probably accelerate from a walking pace to a hard sprint in only a few steps. You don’t need to “plan ahead†to achieve that acceleration. Your brain says, “Hey! Start running!†- and off you go. I would like a comparable “throttle response†in a car. It’s not about the 1/4-mile time, or the skidpad numbers. It’s that instant, ferocious, all-circumstance on-demand animal lunge forward – this is what I crave.

Sounds like a 6+ liter Turbo Diesel would be a good candidate! :flamedevi

Guest bastaad525
Sorry man but no one else said it yet... We told you so! It was just a matter of time before you posted about this.

Not trying to sound like a jerk man. I really feel sorry for you. You got caught in the trap I have seen many a Z owner make...and after 17 years of Z ownership and Z club participation' date=' I've seen lots come and go, and sometimes come back!.. maybe you should just buy another Z!

[/quote']

Um... okay??? you told me so... WHAT, exactly? About regretting to sell my Z? This has nothing to do with that dude. I'm missing some of the DYNAMICS of the Z, sure... not necessarily missing the Z itself (definately not as much as I thought I would). I loved that car... but right now the SRT is playing one hell of a better all around performance car AND a better daily driver than my Z ever would have been. And in that way, I don't regret selling the Z to buy the SRT, not one bit. A/C, power everything, great stereo, way better gas mileage, way more comfortable, way better handling and braking, no fuel or exhaust smell in the car, drivable every day regardless of weather or temperature, and making roughly identical amount of power. All I gave up was RWD and gained about 500 lbs and two doors (oh and a huge trunk to boot). There's nothing to feel sorry for here... I actually do like the SRT quite a bit, and if I end up keeping it I'm not gonna be all dissapointed or anything like that. It is overall a great car... however....

Honestly, my biggest concern right now is reliability, and this is the factor that is most strongly driving me to consider jumping ship while I can still get a good price for it.

Funny story here... when I first was shopping around, I went to srtforums.com and posted a thread asking "how reliable is it?" and the reply was a resounding "no problems here!". Guys came in saying they had over 70,000 miles and no problems. In the meantime, Consumer Reports and the like have nothing specific on the SRT-4 as it's too recent.

So I go buy the car... and now there are all these people popping up on the forums with problems, some of them BIG, and almost all of them of them '05 owners!! Apparently Dodge made some kinda changes to some major things (the transmission being the most notable), apparently not for the better. I was a skeptic about the quality of Dodge's product to begin with... but the cost-to-performance ratio and the owner 'testimonials' from the forums had me sold and convinced I would be okay. Now... even though I have a 3/36k warranty... I'm scared s**tless. #1 - I've been putting a LOT of miles on my car quickly... at the current rate, I'll be out my warranty in 2 years or less.

#2 - it seems in the last 6-12 months, starting right about the time that the SRT-4 went out of production... suddenly dealerships are getting REALLY bad to deal with on warranty work on these cars. Whereas before they were somewhat tolerant of mods (especially if they were the Mopar factory mods) now there are guys with few mods, sometimes even the most basic of Mopar factory mods ONLY, then they have a problem, go in for work, and end up getting their warranty voided. Even guys with NO mods are having a hell of a hard time recently getting any work taken care of under warranty.

And of course, I personally couldn't go long leaving the car stock... I've already put in Mopars stage 1 and a few other things... so next thing I know, my trans fails and the dealership tells me I'm screwed??? That would be great.

It's the stories of a-hole dealerships and problem 2005 model cars that is making me think... I'm gonna be paying this car off for 4 years or so... my warranty will be up in 2-ish... that leaves 2 years where if anything goes wrong I'm gonna be in DEEP trouble... making payments AND having a repair bill? Not where I want to be.

And yeah... there are the factors I mentioned in my original post... FWD and a ton of torque aren't always a lot of fun... wheelhop sucks and it's near impossible to launch the car agressively from a stop. I miss being able to drift around corners. The car gets too much attention (though not as bad after I pulled off the wing, but the loud exhaust and agressive front grill styling are still eye catching). Plus... yeah... the "it's still just a Neon" IS a little annoying. I don't mind it being a Neon... I've said many times I've always kinda liked the Neon R/T's and ACR's. But the constant crap talk get's on my nerves a bit.

Anyways... little bit of good news... a guy contacted me today and is willing to pay me $19,000 for the car, and will be talking to his credit union tommorow about the loan... so that could work out well and I don't take a big loss... I pay my car off in full and have money left over. Beats the $14-16k dealerships were offering me for the trade in.

Oddly enough... I'm now back to considering the new Civic Si for myself. Yeah it's a step down in power... but after driving my wife's regular Civic around a bit... man I LOVE that car... it's so nice inside and out, I can just imagine it with stiffer suspension, bigger brakes, 60 more HP and LSD. Then reliability becomes a non issue... and of course the price on the car is fantastic.

It kind of reminds me a lot of my old Sentra SE-R... super high revving 2.0 liter motor, close ratio transmission, extremely-balanced-for-a-FWD handling, LSD standard, light curb weight.... all the things I loved about my SE-R, plus ~60 more hp. And let me tell you, I LOVED that frigging SE-R!!! Add in honda reliability and I don't know that I'd mind the second step down in flat out straight line speed all that much. I mean seriously... quick as the SRT is... how often have I even gotten to really take advantage of it?

well... I'm just CONSIDERING it, anyways.

Oh, and found a dealership selling them for no markup :mrgreen: So I can get into one and my payments wouldn't even really change.

the saga continues....

I had a 1990 Civic with 60 flywheel HP. Yes, 60. It was still a fun car to drive. I had Tokico shocks and Si wheels and tires and it was a blast! I learned that with 60HP, you don't slow for a curve. You take the curve as fast as possible. If you want RWD, put it in reverse. icon_smile.gif

Mike' date='

Of course your car – any car – will produce more torque in the rpm band where volumetric efficiency is highest.

But we both agree that the whole point of a large V8 in a “relatively” light car is to avoid peaky response. Breadth over depth, you might say. Your Vette might reach 450 ft-lbs at 4500 rpm (or whatever it happens to be), but surely it’s making an honest 60% of that at 1000 rpm – right? Right? :-) And even that should feel pretty stout.

To better explain what I want in a car, here’s an analogy…. A moderately athletic adult human produces around 1/3 – 1/2 peak hp. That ain’t much. Power to wait ratio would be around 1:400! And quarter mile performance would be – well, right around 1 minute. But if you can run the 50-yard dash in, say, 7 seconds (this was reasonably good performance in junior high physical education class), you can probably accelerate from a walking pace to a hard sprint in only a few steps. You don’t need to “plan ahead” to achieve that acceleration. Your brain says, “Hey! Start running!” - and off you go. I would like a comparable “throttle response” in a car. It’s not about the 1/4-mile time, or the skidpad numbers. It’s that instant, ferocious, all-circumstance on-demand animal lunge forward – this is what I crave.[/quote']

Uh no Michael, Sorry man but you don't get off that easily. You did the same damned thing when you Drove Pete's 327 equipped Zcar. In my estimate, You have no concept of how to drive a sports car properly. Doesn't matter if its a 2600 pound Zcar or a 3200 pound corvette. My Vette is making almost 300Ft. Pounds torque at 2200 RPMs and it likely is doing 0-60 in the low 3 second range... That's underwhelming to you? :roll:

You simply will not be happy with anything you get behind the wheel of. I'll wager an amount of money that you won't be happy with your big block Z when it is done.

I've given up on trying to "understand" what you're looking for in a car, because quite honestly it doesn't exist and I'm not the only one of that opinion.

Mike

Guest bastaad525
I had a 1990 Civic with 60 flywheel HP. Yes, 60. It was still a fun car to drive. I had Tokico shocks and Si wheels and tires and it was a blast! I learned that with 60HP, you don't slow for a curve. You take the curve as fast as possible. If you want RWD, put it in reverse. [img']http://forums.hybridz.org/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Great point. This is another reason I'm considering the Si. Hey stoplight racing is fun, no doubt... risky as well, and after my last ticket I really am trying very hard to stay on the good side of the law anyways. But I love hitting a curvy mountain road as much as, if not more than, the typical impromptu drag race. That was where my old Sentra SE-R really shined... far outshined my Z, as a matter of fact, which had too much power that was kinda hard to control in that situation, what with somewhat unpredictable turbo response... it was too easy to give too much gas coming out of a turn and only realize too late when boost kicked in.

I imagine the Si is the perfect 'canyon carver'... everyone raving about it's handling. So the side benefit is I still get to have a blast hitting some curvy out of the way mountain road, but now I'd avoid stoplight confrontations like the plague, since no one likes to get consistently beat down :cry2::-D !! Which means less chance for legal trouble.

200 hp in a light car isn't exactly slow, anyways. Hell I was fairly happy with less than that much from my SU'd L28 for quite some time until someone offered me a good deal on the turbo donor.

And my Z's ghost isn't trying to haunt me. Trust me I think that car is far happier in it's new home. The guy who bought it reminds me of me before my interest and time started to fade. He's giving that car the attention it deserves, driving it as often as he can, and really does want to basically finish what I started with it. He's a good guy and I'm glad I found a guy like him to take it. I no longer feel like it's 'going to waste' sitting in my garage gathering dust like it was.

This thread reminds me of my test drive of a 1998 Z28 Camaro (the first year of the LS1). I was all excited about a reasonable (on paper) RWD stick-shift V8. The car was supposed to be a rocket. It wasn't.

A couple of months ago Mike Kelly gave me a ride in his modified C5 Corvette. By all evidence his car is at the sweet spot of LSx streetable modification. But I was - underwhelmed.

Whenever I come across a promising new car' date=' invariably the euphoria fades after the first test drive, or in some cases even the first test ride. So I made the decision that it's pointless to salivate over OEM "performance" cars. I might as well drive an economy car and go for the reliability and low costs. And save aspirations of performance for the Z.

Still, now that my Z is "finally" coming together, I'm worried that the acceleration will turn out to be a disappointment.[/quote']I've been reading this thread for a while, and I've found the comments interesting to say the least.

Michael, I'm really interested in your background since Mike Kelly's car underwhelmed you. What vehicles have met your expectations? Maybe you used to race cars and that spoiled you for most street cars?

Just curious...:confused2

BTW - I had an opportunity to drive the CTS-V on a closed test track locally. Relatively nice car, but it had really bad wheel hop that would keep me from considering buying one. Being able to do nice burnouts is a requirement for me (even though I don't do it often).

:trippen: Don't know if it fits...but I wanted to use the new smiley.

And my Z's ghost isn't trying to haunt me. Trust me I think that car is far happier in it's new home. The guy who bought it reminds me of me before my interest and time started to fade. He's giving that car the attention it deserves' date=' driving it as often as he can, and really does want to basically finish what I started with it. He's a good guy and I'm glad I found a guy like him to take it. I no longer feel like it's 'going to waste' sitting in my garage gathering dust like it was.[/quote']

tell him to post in the forums over here and keep us up to date!!! i'm sure i'm not the only one interested in that cars future :]

You need to make a test drive day...go test drive as many cars as you can in a day (or weekend) and find what you like. You like your wife's car, but who says the Si won't be a completely different animal that may not fit what you want. Try an EVO, Si, Sti, GTO, etc... Get in as many different cars as you can and then compare. Its the only way you're going to get something you really will enjoy for a long time.

I've found that when making these kind of decisions that taking your time and truly evaluating what you want and need will make you the happiest. This is especially relevant when buying a car.

If you can sell your SRT4 and still be ok when you move, why don't you find something out there. You may even want a different car entirely based on the area you're going to live in. Who knows?