HybridZ

Shocking Experience

every time i exit my 85 300zx with a SBC conversion i get a pretty big shock whenever i touch the car or something metallic, whats going on here? is this cause of my engine swap? the battery is grounded right to the engine and the engine and transmission have three seperate ground straps to the body and frame. has anyone had anything like this happen before? i can't figure it out.

This happens everytime I get out of my (cough cough) 02 civic and I think it has to do with my cloth seats when I get out of the car. I doubt your engine swap could be at fault but you never know what kind of abnormal things a chevy could do. My honda is stock and money saved there goes to my Z.

Don

I get this too sometimes when I get out of my Dakota. Its just a static build up. Truckers sometimes drag a chain to get rid of this charge. You do something similar with a smaller chain/wire if you want to.

Guy

I get static shock all the time. Whether it's getting out of the car or opening a door at school. The solution I came up with is to flick the door with your finger before you open it. The electricity goes thru your fingernail and you won't feel a thing. That has always worked for me.

I get this all the time from just about any vehicle I'm in. My truck is the worst though (cloth seats). EVERY time I get out BAM! A big blue spark jumps from my finger. Well, *cracks knuckles* I have been told I'm electric :mrgreen: ...:icon56:

If you keep touching metal as you step out of the car, no spark.

I noticed when I went toi Michelin Energy MXV4's that there was a lot more of this same thing happening than before - higher silicon content in the rubber I believe is the cause.

There are strips that many trucks and cars are adorned with to discharge this static charge, that just touches the ground when the car comes to a stop, but are off the road when moving.

fun for the whole family !

the harder rubber tires with higher carbon content, the dry air passing over the body of the car builds static electricity. you discharge it when you touch the car and the ground at the same time.

you can discharge the car by earth grounding the metal.

any conductive strap to the earth will do it.

otherwise, as you get in or out of the car, hold onto the door, be touching a metal part of the car as your feet touch the ground. no arc spark.

or carry a wet cat, let it shunt the spark to ground for you.

If you have a static charge and touch the car which is grounded, you will discharge this static charge and most likely create a spark. There was an individual who exited his vehical without discharging his potential static charge and started pumping gas into his car. He removed the pump nozzle and when he went to put the gas cap back on, he grounded himseld and created a spark, which ignited the fresh fuel fumes coming out of the tank and BOOM...game over. I have heard from a few of my fire fighting buddys that this is something they learn about. Now, interesting story. If you see those signs saying dont use a cell phone or turn off electronic devices while fueling...lol...its because this senario happened and the guy happened to be using an electronic device. So everyone jumped to the conclusion that electronic devices cause gas to cumbust...they dont. RF radio waves dont do it either. You could have a cell phone in an environment perfect for cumbustion, call it...and nothing will ever happen. If you saw this on MythBusters, you understand. I cant help but laugh when i see those sighs created by ignorant people.