HybridZ

KA Tranny - The Limit has been found!

Garrett76Zt

and the limit is . . . .

whatever an 11.85 Car plus Methanol is . . .

i made about 5-6 pulls, all at 18psi, I basically started with my base street tune(11.85 ET) and added Methanol on top. this worked out well as i began to take fuel out at particular boost levels. I ended up taking 14% fuel out from about 6.5psi on up into the 20's. But i never got to the 20's. HAHA

I got the tune perfect at about 11.3 AFR and the Car was Ridiculous. Much faster than before!

All pulls were in 3rd gear. So now that it was perfect I cruised down the interstate to the next exit, got off, turned around and got back on.

I was in 2nd and hit it, ANNIHILATED the tires, finally hooked at the top of 2nd and could not shift the car fast enough . . . I threw third and the boost hit HARD and about 4000k(peak torque) 3rd gear EXPLODED. I coasted onto the interstate at about 90mph. . . Lukily the other gears work but not without a bowl of marbles rolling around in there :roll:

I feel like the tranny would have held up just fine at 18psi/pump gas (340hp)

Just too much i guess! It was AWESOME!

Guest ON3GO

haha so now what to us guys wanting more then that!

Z32TT tranny its gotta be i guess.

i so need a ride in your car, maybe you can help me figure out whats wrong with my damn Z..

mike

Guest 73Turbo240z

damnit... you blew up the KA... i've been seriously considering swapping from these L trannys to a KA tranny... but it sounds like i'd just break them too...

what are you going to do now? another KA? or somthing else? if your going to switch let me know how much i'd need to bribe you with for your driveshaft. if your going to change gearbox types that is.

I'm almost positive the internals are the same on the Z32TT tranny as the R32 GTR tranny. Third gear is the main weak point and its good to almost 500 at the wheels....

haha so now what to us guys wanting more then that!

Z32TT tranny its gotta be i guess.

i so need a ride in your car' date=' maybe you can help me figure out whats wrong with my damn Z..

mike[/quote']

Well yes for now i will put another one in for simplicity sake. That was the idea from the beginning. KA's are a little stronger but more importantly more available and cheaper than b-box's etc. I can get em for about $70 right down the street.

Here is the main issue with my particular car. the boost with the 60-1 come on so hard . . . and since the Methanol is boost referenced its hitting at the same time. It seriously feels like I'm spraying nitrous. Everything just hits all at once. I have a feature on my fancy boost controller that will allow me to soften up how hard the boost come on. So hopefully I can get an easier transition . . . for the sake of my transmission. HAHA

I still cant get over the HUGE difference, at the same boost. You should see the datalog . . . the curve is so drastic!

Good opportunity to slap an OS Giken gear set in the bust tranny. Let's face it, no one really needs 2 kidneys, 2 lungs, 2 livers, oh wait, that bits not right ;)

On a more serious note, there's a guy in the UK that rebuilds this tranny and with a bit of treatment to the gear set reckons they'll hold 450bhp (torque figures would of course be more useful) but people with slightly (not much though) less power have still bust their rebuilt boxes. So yes they're not infinitely strong but they can be made stronger, and they are pretty durn cheap to get hold of.

Cheers,

Rob

I would like to see the dattalog on that as I am going to be running methanol with a Precsion SC61 turbo.I just not as concerned about my tranny breaking .

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sss510six/detail?.dir=15c7&.dnm=9698.jpg&.src=ph

I have wondered about how hard it would be to put a TKO behind a T5 bellhousing.A friend who is running a 60-1 and SDS and currently has a T5 in His car is looking into this option.It`s kind pricy either way,but like I told Him "you have too much HP boo,hoo,it`s a problem many people wish they had."

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/G-Force-T5-Transmission-Package_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ107063QQitemZ4627322987QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

http://www.moderndriveline.com/Technical_Bits/tremec.htm#TKO_500

OR

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-94-NISSAN-300ZX-TRANSMISSION-TURBO-VG30DETT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6755QQitemZ4625234423QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

and the limit is . . . .

whatever an 11.85 Car plus Methanol is . . .

I was in 2nd and hit it' date=' ANNIHILATED the tires, finally hooked at the top of 2nd and could not shift the car fast enough . . . I threw third and the boost hit HARD and about 4000k(peak torque) 3rd gear EXPLODED. I coasted onto the interstate at about 90mph. . . Lukily the other gears work but not without a bowl of marbles rolling around in there :roll:

[/quote']

Interesting - this was exactly how my 81 N/A trans let go. I was making somewhere around 430hp/470tq to the wheels (per a recent set of dyno pulls) at the time. Hard upshift into 3rd, then bang :icon52: right about when boost hit and the torque peak came up.

According to a couple of hp calculators, your base hp should have been around 375, assuming the car weighed ~3000lb with you in it, which is probably high. So it sounds like you were in the same neighborhood after fiddling with the boost and methanol.

Mine was a pretty freshly rebuilt N/A trans, so that might have helped it a bit, but it's kinda sounding like maybe the KA might not really be that much stronger. Here was what my third gear looked like:

thirdgear1.jpg

well in talking with some of those guys . . . if they had had the option for the z32 tranny they would have done it. It's gonna turn out a bit cheaper and supposed to be solid to at least 600hp. i found one local for $300. now i need to find $300, hahaha, im picking up aluminum cans on the side of the road.