HybridZ

What fun, decent performance cars would you consider for $13-14k?

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

Can you guys suggest some cars for me? Here are the criteria I'm aiming to meet:

- Car must cost under $14,000

- Car can be new or used, though if used, I prefer no older than say 2000 model year and preferably less than 50,000 miles, but I can flex on these criteria within reason

- Car must be known or commonly considered to be VERY reliable... reliability probably my #1 priority here!

- But I would also really like the car to at least be somewhat fun.. performance oriented. This can be read to mean a car with decent power (I am looking at Mustangs and Camaros, for instance) or something that handles great and or has a high winding engine (think oldschool Honda Si's, Sentra SE-R's or Miata's)... I really don't want to be stuck in something completely boring like a corolla or base civic!

- Decent gas mileage a plus... say no less than mid 20's in street driving

- Preferably can run on 87 octane

- Easy to work on and/or abundant aftermarket support a big plus!!

- MUST BE RELIABLE!!!

Let the suggestions start rolling in! :mrgreen:

Guest bastaad525

just to let you guys know, here are a few cars specifically that I am already considering:

Mustang GT

Camaro/Firebird

Toyota Celica GT-S

Miata

Accord V6

WRX (probably won't be able to find one under $15,000)

Sentra SE-R

RSX (would be sweet if I could get a Type S for less than $15,000!)

Older Civic Si's, not the last gen that looked like a minivan

Integra GS-R

I'm also actually considering getting a new Scion xA... it's about the only new car I would want that costs less than $15,000. I know it will be boring as hell though....

Guest l28et

Mustang GT

RX8?

MazdaSpeed Miata.

Cough up a little more for an S2000.

LS/RX7

Bone stock, mint 240Z.

I like the idea of finding one of those cars from the 90s that was kept in a garage, owned by some 80 year old guy who took it out every other sunday. A nice low mileage (-50k) 300ZX TT would fit the bill there.

Had to pass on a '94 Z32 turbo with 41K for 14K in January. Old guy, couldnt drive it anymore, active Z car club member... $14,000. Ah well.

Oh and DUH - E36 BMW M3.

BMW 540i 6spd. Beautiful and classy style with a gorgeous interior, if youre lucky enough ot find a 6spd model youll be able to chase down e36 m3's. Youll have ot shop around for one at that price, it all depends on what year you get. Also great for long trips with the family.

CIMG4728-house.jpg

course eh hem this might not be the most reliable car, but whatever it still gets my pick

Guest bastaad525

I'm narrowing down my options a bit, looking thru the local classifieds and getting a feel for what's out there.

2nd gen Miata

Last gen Celica GT-S

Last gen Integra GS-R

Last gen Mustang GT

Last gen Camaro/Firebird 6 speed

Miata and Camaro's looking the best right now... Miata for lightweight, great handling and drop top, Camaro for outright HP and speed.

How reliable overall are the last gen Camaro/firebird?

All I know about the Camaro is I used to sell diff parts to those guys more than any other car. Don't drag race if you get one unless you beef up the rear is my $.02. I think you should find a car lot that has both, and drive them back to back. Then you'll be a Miata owner for sure... :wink:

hey bastaad, since your over on this coast now, I know of a SS camaro for sale around the corner here. He wants 6500, hes in his 60s, his daughter that hes selling it for is in her 40's, it has about 140K on the clock though. But its a 6-speed, oil changed every 3k, and the lady never gets into the gas. Runs EXCELLENT.

i kinda like the celica choice.. considering the website your on.. conformity probably isnt high on your list =) and the miata has been done to death..

the celica not so much yet its considered a reliable and dependable car... just a bit harder per se to make into a performace vehicle as such.

GO for the oddball =0)