HybridZ

Is this a new idea for TT setup?? Why did'nt anyone think of this?

So lets say I keep my stock T3, fab the DP into say a t3/t4 or a holset? plumb both intakes into my FMIC then have the one going to the intake?

Mmmmmmmmmmm This is the sort of thing that keeps me up at night! I think it would be cool if you could make it all fit.

Acutally it's a compound setup. Diesels can run insane boost. Most turbos can only run a high 3:1 pressure ratio, some 4:1. If you plan to exceed the pressure ratio a turbo can run at, say 60 psi or about a 5:1 PR you can pressurize the inlet of the second turbo with 30 psi (3:1 PR) from the first turbo and then have the second turbo run 60 psi (still a 3:1 PR).

thats what the last supra had also.

Uh, no. They used sequential. On a sequential set up. 2 small turbo's are used. Only one turbo is used at low rpms for fast boost response, then the second turbo comes at higher rpm's to add volume. The first turbo doesn't blow through the second.

I wouldn't call the compressor outlet the "exhaust" but thats just my opinion.

Compound on a Supra? I don't think so. The sequential setup was controlled on the turbine side, just like the RX7.

You have to realize what that turbo setup is doing. You putting compressed air into a turbo, and compressing it further. The effect is pretty ridiculous for a typical engine.

You gonna boost 40 psi or something?

Also, if you must run a little turbo to spool a big one, but 100% of the air flow is coming out of the first compressor and into the second... then you're limited to the maximum flow capability of the first compressor to send air to the motor.

Either that turbo will be a bottleneck, or get overworked and die quickly if its really small.

Uh, no. They used sequential. On a sequential set up. 2 small turbo's are used. Only one turbo is used at low rpms for fast boost response, then the second turbo comes at higher rpm's to add volume. The first turbo doesn't blow through the second.
wow, I always thought it did. Oh well, learn something new every day, thats why I read these boards.

theres a guy in vancouver with a suburban that has 3 turbos like this and is capable of making 150psi, 1200 hp and 3400lbs of torque the truck is in petersons 4wheel.. wild stuff. I think it was in the tuff truck challenge 3 years ago...... its been awhile.Ohh it was also Diesal!

• 2 weeks later...

Doing something like that, I'd use a super charger to go with the turbo, like HKS did for the first gen. MR2 and there is a similar kit for the COOPER S but I don't know who makes it and they got pretty good nubers with that if I recall corectly. The thing in sutch complicated setups is first "extremely compressed air produces ALOT of heat (bigger intercooler)" and it requires alot of pipping thus increasing total system volume "LAG"