HybridZ

Pathfinder...any opinions?

Tim240z

I am looking to buy a small SUV for towing the Karts to the track and for the Missus to use when she needs to haul the kid and his friends around (6 year olds). She has a 05 Focus, so not much room. I have my 71 Cheyenne 20 which is great and I will never sell it, but it is a bit cramped for the 3 of us going to the track (70 mile one way trip).

I found what looks to be a good deal on a 1998 Nissan pathfinder. 2WD, SE trim with 55K miles on it. Owner claims to be moving to NY. I have yet to see the car. Asking $7900.00. From what I can gather, they are good vehicles, but do any of you guys have 1st hand experience with them? Good, bad, indifferent?

Thanks,

Tim

What engine is in it? If its the 3.3L then they are prone to headgaskets leaking on the back outside corners(mostly on the passenger side head). The exhaust manifolds also like to crack. Other than that they seem to be pretty good vehicles(having only been working on them for about a month and a half).

Guy

According to KBB, the only V6 offered was the 3.3L, so I'm pretty sure that is it.

Guy, what part of the head gasket leaks? Is it coolant leak external, or coolant internal into the combustion chamber, or is it combustion leak?

Thanks for the info.

Tim

That sounds like a pretty good deal for 55k miles. My 99 SE has about 60k now and I haven't had any problems with it. It's uni-body so it rides more like a car than a truck. I vaguely remember something about exhaust manifolds cracking but was fixed on later ones. Don't remeber what years. Just a warning, if you have to change the spark plugs, #6 is a major PITA.

Its usually on the very back outside(towards the fender) of the head. Its an external leak. I would say 30% of all the 3.3L that I've seen have some leakage around this area on one or both heads. The worst part is the new gasket isnt an updated one so their not really fixing the problem!

According to this site: http://www.nissanpathfinders.com/BuyaPathy.htm

it is the pre 97 Pathys that have the manifold problems. I have a 87 with 460,000km on it and was still going strong (until I yanked the motor in favor of a Vg30et! LOL)

Is the one you are looking at a 5spd or auto? The auto's kinda fall apart when they get older and cost a bloody fortune to fix. 8hrs for a R+R and another 16hrs for a overhaul... plus parts. That is for a 4wd however, maybe not so bad on a 2wd, I forgot you were talking 2wd, never seen one myself. Somehow I'm guessing that only 4wd models are available in Canada.

• 1 month later...

Well....I took some of your advice!

I just picked up a 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4X4 with the 4.0 I6. It has 101k miles on it, but has been very well maintained.

It has new tires, shocks, brakes, stereo with single CD and LCD ceiling mounted movie player. Red with tinted windows.

You should have gotten the Pathfinder. The Jeep will give you nothing but trouble down the road. Call a dealer to see what the service will run you. They are twice that of Nissan. While the manifolds can crack, it is usually before the 60k mile factory warranty, so they get fixed for free anyhow. Other than that, the VG will run for 500k miles easy. With my friends '99 we have towed well over 5k pounds. Not to rain on your parade, it's just what I have found.

Brian

Who in their right minds takes a car to a dealer to get serviced? Dealerships are for new cars with warranties, or those who can't read a FSM or hold a wrench on their hands....

I have spoken to literally dozens of people who own, or have owned a jeep with the 4.0L drivetrain and EVERY single one of them have had nothing but good things to say about the reliability. All those that I have spoken to have had almost 200k or more miles on their vehicles with zero issues. That was enough for me.....

Trust me, I have very little faith in the reliability of domestics vs. the imports, but the Jeep's track record, according to my digging, is stellar.

BTW Mike....thanks for the links, but this one is staying tame....no mods.

Tim

Somehow I'm guessing that only 4wd models are available in Canada.

That's true! No 2WD models ever sold here.

I've always liked them, but the engines are a bit of a pain to work on as far as access goes. Just about everything is a pain to do to those engines. :P

You should have gotten the Pathfinder. The Jeep will give you nothing but trouble down the road. Call a dealer to see what the service will run you. They are twice that of Nissan. While the manifolds can crack' date=' it is usually before the 60k mile factory warranty, so they get fixed for free anyhow. Other than that, the VG will run for 500k miles easy. With my friends '99 we have towed well over 5k pounds. Not to rain on your parade, it's just what I have found.

Brian[/quote']

I beat a million bucks says your friends head gasket(s) are leaking coolant! The 3.3 is nothing compared to the Jeeps 4.0L. The 4.0 is pretty much bullet proof and is 10 times easier to do work on. A head gasket is a piece of cake compared to the 3.3L.

I don't know where you got your info but from working first hand on Jeeps and Nissans, the Jeep deffinetly gets my vote for more reliable and easier to work on! :-)

Good choice Tim!

Guy

Easy there, I was merely giving my experiences. My mother had a Jeep Wrangler and had nothing but trouble with it. From the day she bought it she spent more time at the dealership than driving it. As for the VG, I probably have more personal experience with them than most. The VG30 in my Hardbody went over 300k miles before I sold it. My 2000 Crew Cab Frontier had 200k on the VG33 and the only problem I had was with the A/C. As for my friends Pathfinder, it is pushing 200k and has had zero problems. And as for a leaking headgasket, how would you like to pay me? We actaully just took it in for an oil change last weekend, and yes at the dealership. At $20 for an oil change, it makes no sense to do it yourself. No water leaks. Then we have my '90 Pathfinder that also had over 200k on it and again, no drivetrain problems. A leaky master cylinder, that's it. In fact, the only problem I have seen was on my friends 2000 Frontier Desert Runner. It cracked a manifold at 40k miles. Had it replaced under warranty and all was good. Again, I'm just responding to the original post with my personal impressions.

Brian

Well....I took some of your advice!

I just picked up a 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4X4 with the 4.0 I6. It has 101k miles on it' date=' but has been very well maintained.

It has new tires, shocks, brakes, stereo with single CD and LCD ceiling mounted movie player. Red with tinted windows.[/quote']

My Stepdad has one of them they can be supercharged and they run great

Not to mention the engine isnt to far from the Z's Engine design

The only problem i think ive ever seen is once a friends automatic transmission overheated becasue it was in O/D and squirted hot oil as a precautionary as not to damage it

I don't know where you got your info but from working first hand on Jeeps and Nissans, the Jeep deffinetly gets my vote for more reliable and easier to work on! :-)

Good choice Tim!

Guy

Here is what JD Power had to say about them.

Pathifinder;

http://www.carfax.com/car_safety/ratings/SRR.cfm/year/2000/make/NISSAN/model/PATHFINDER/trim_id/2000NISS4W%20PATHFINDER_LE-SE-XE#SARreliability

Jeep;

http://www.carfax.com/car_safety/ratings/SRR.cfm/year/2000/make/JEEP/model/GRAND%20CHEROKEE/trim_id/2000JEEP4W%20GRAND_CHEROKEE_LAREDO

Brian