HybridZ

Shaving the bumpers

Guest theonlymatt

Guest theonlymatt

I have seen a lot of z's with bumpers shaved off. I would like to do this to my 1975 280z as well (the huge safety bumpers are ridiculous) and was wondering what everyone has done for reinforcement. Do you put a steel bar behind the body using the bars for the original bumper? Or do you just hope no one rear ends you and crushes your fuel tank?

Thanks for the help

-Matt

I welded in roll bar tubing behind the roll pan. I welded it to the original bumper mounts that I modified after cutting off the bumper shocks. I figured that anything was better than nothing.

Jody

I welded in roll bar tubing behind the roll pan. I welded it to the original bumper mounts that I modified after cutting off the bumper shocks. I figured that anything was better than nothing.

Jody

i like that idea

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ON3GO

what support?

fuel cell and fuel cell frame is all i have besides the factory frame rails back there.

i dont have anything to worry about anyways, its not like the damn car stays on the road long enough for me to get into a wreck..

mike

I was just gonna put 240z bumpers on my car, I like the look. completely removing the bumpers and filling in the holes is another option, but I don't think i'll be able to do that. :(

Have you priced 240 bumpers lately?

Pete Paraska cut down a set of stock 240 rear bumpers so they don't wrap around the body. He also added a bar inside the stock units to strengthen them. Didn't he also get rear ended following all that?

Guest 280ss1976

honestly i pray loli got a front air dam and sealed the seams in the back make it look like one solid piece

003_thumb.jpg

004_thumb.jpg

009_thumb.jpg

002_thumb.jpg

I have seen a lot of z's with bumpers shaved off. I would like to do this to my 1975 280z as well (the huge safety bumpers are ridiculous) and was wondering what everyone has done for reinforcement. Do you put a steel bar behind the body using the bars for the original bumper? Or do you just hope no one rear ends you and crushes your fuel tank?

I'm not sure on the 280, but on the 240 there is a rear frame rail right inside the rear valance. It's not very big, but it is definitely stronger than the 240 bumper. I would assume that yours is the same.

Having been rear ended in a 240Z by a newer Firebird going ~50 mph to my 0 mph, I can say that it isn't fun, but the passenger compartment actually survived the hit very well and believe it or not the gas tank didn't rupture or anything like that. The rear end frame crumpled in about to the rear strut tower though.

Your not driving the car cus its safe for god sake if your that worried about it get a volvo, sports cars are supposed to be light, not NECESSARILY safe.

:icon14:

Those bumpers are not there to save the gas tank or you. The Gov't said it had to be able to take a 5 mph bump. They will protect the body in parking lot crashes though. You can but whatever tube you want behind the bumper. It will still get destroyed in a hard hit and so will the rear of the car. It's false security to think a bumper is there for your safety.