veritech-z

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

newfascia004.jpg

newfascia003-1.jpg

newfascia001.jpg

Well, there it is. It needs something to keep the middle from sagging, like a tie bar or something. Also, the piece I cut from the middle that used to have the saturn logo is ragged, and right now I'm leaning towards a diamond plate trim filler (I've got a big sheet of it in my closet out back, but I don't really have any way to cut it straight). Also, on the sides, I definitely need to mold in those extra pieces by the wheel wells, and it doesnt cover the complete bumper recess, so I'll need to do something about that as well. A work in progress, but I kind of like it. just need to work on the details. Also, the Impuls would make it look a lot better since they wouldn't have so much wheel gap.

I just went back and fixed all the broken links that started on page 2. If anybody came late to this thread and was curious, all of the concept sketches (actually one sketch I photocopied a bunch of times and changed the color scheme) I did for Chewievette are now back in all their technicolor glory. Enjoy.

It definitely needs some balance, It makes the flow of the car very "nose heavy", but I don't think I'll ever do antyhing to the rear fascia. Unless I extend the rear valances down lower, but leave the back center section high...maybe something like Darius's diffuser would be sweet...hmmm...well, one thing at a time. I just don't want to end up like this local RX-7 (like an 82 or so) that used to drive around with a really poorly done Lexus ES front end swap that just didn't fit right...otherwise it was a really nice car, pearl white and everything, just the way I like 'em.

I had a salesman at my dealership (where I did the work, and where the car is right now) ask me if it was an RX-7 today...I was like: "no." the conversation sort of petered out after that. I didn't mind since I was in the middle of tightening up my replacement spindle bolt and didn't have the inclination to educate him.

So Saturn has a core program on their fascias, meaning that when a body shop orders a front or rear fascia for a saturn, you are supposed to charge them a fee until they return the old ones. The rational for this is that it keeps them out of the greedy hands of aftermarket manufacturers who would recondition them and sell them for profit. Well, I noticed that in my core pile at work (you see I was bored pretending to sell parts, and as well all know, an Idle Mind is the Devil's pork chop or however that goes...) we had a fascia from a Vue Redline (that would be the small SUV with the Honda 3.5 engine in it). Not just the front, but the rear as well. This vehicle has a very aggressive looking body package, and I've always been curious if it could be adapted to work on something else ("something else" being pronounced a lot like "My Z" in this context). So, I went out and borrowed a few tools from the technicians in the shop (a drill that sort of worked if you jiggled the direction selector, some straight cut tin snips, and a pop rivet gun) and got to work. I'm pretty happy with the results, here it is sitting on the ground, I'll put it up to the car in the next day or two to show how it looks on the car. This whole project is OTM's fault, since he totally dropped the ball on sending me that Robotron fascia (I think he used the excuse of going to college and breaking his jaw, I wasn't paying attention...all I heard was Blah Blah, I didn't do that thing you asked me to do that involved lots of work and minimal compensation...some people have all the nerve, you know?) I asked him really nicely for. The other best part is that this whole operation cost me $4.98 for a can of flat black spray paint. Everything else was destined for the trash anyway. here are some pics:

saturn vue OEM

Thoughts?

Thoughts? You pay WAYYY too much for spray paint...lol

Honestly though...looks like a narrow air dam from the YZ body it...

Very cool!

I need a different career, that's for sure...I just sent my application in to www.fiea.ucf.edu to try and get started on getting my Master's of Science in video game design. Hopefully I'll hear back positively soon, the program starts August 21st.

OTM: I thought it was a little high myself, but it is the Duplicolor automotive flat black from Napa (where even the cokes cost more than normal...)

• 4 weeks later...

looks good, u should cut the holes so there is only one and it merges out of the orginal zed hole, it woudl look like an austin martin front, i'll photoshop it if i'm bored at work sometime just coz i think it would look sexy

good work! the only thing i could see that would realy help it out, is the little piece in front of the front wheels on the dam. its leaned back towards the wheels. if it were leaned fwd, it would carry the fender line better. although i can understand why you did that, it wouldnt mould to the front if ya tilted it fwd.