HybridZ

Pinks

Boobala

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well youre right the car would not have been magically perfect in 4 hours. We still dont know for sure but the car was exhibiting symptoms of retarded cam timing. Peak power at 4900rpms, overheating(due to mistimed exhaust valves), and fouling the plugs. I believe with 4 hours we would have gotten some fresh plugs in there, which consequently after the car was bought back, I swapped a set in and it ran MUCH better than it did the night of the show. It didnt solve the problem but it would have helped for a short time.

You cant really hear it in the show, but that thing was pop pop popping all the way down the track.

Races 2,3,4 I actually launched the car very well but you cant really tell cause that Monte was yankin a wheel off the ground! HAHA

Anyways what do you think, American Idol my next TV appearance? HAHAHA

well youre right the car would not have been magically perfect in 4 hours. We still dont know for sure but the car was exhibiting symptoms of retarded cam timing. Peak power at 4900rpms, overheating(due to mistimed exhaust valves), and fouling the plugs.

Retarding timing increases top end power. Advanced cam timing maybe.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinks

There are a number of sources which indicate that the premise behind the show--that the loser "gives away" their car--does not actually happen. In those cases a side deal has been struck behind the scenes where the loser pays a nominal amount of money (almost equivalent to the "advertising" dollars of television exposure the driver's cars earn) to the winner in exchange for the return of the signed pink slip

From http://www.speedtv.com/pinks/pinks101.php

The thing to remember is that the winning racer owns the other racer's vehicle BY LAW after the competition. They may do what ever they want with the vehicle after the show is completed. Vehicles have already been won and sold on eBay for a profit.

I've joked with Jon about his wikipedia habit before, just making light of the situation. I guess if Garrett, who was actually on the show, said that the way they say it works is the way it works, my wikipedia theory might be correct at least in this situation. "wikipedia, the online encyclopedia that ANYONE can edit..."

I think it was 2 months and they left alot of things to last minute that they could have done 2 months earlier. (Wiring ecu and car, fixing body panels, installing fuel cell, planning it better, etc...) No offense but 4hrs should not be a big difference when you have had 2 months to build a car and at first you thought you only had 3 weeks. It was poor management of the build that lost that race not the engine or circumstances.

Too many Rolling Rocks.

the car was sold back to a certain person that will remain unnamed for about as much as you could buy a fair condition 240z...about half the value of the whole engine. They had no clue what was in the engine...

Any future race plans for the car?