HybridZ

The JohnC Test

Pop N Wood

Have you ever rated your work by asking "What would JohnC do?"  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Have you ever rated your work by asking "What would JohnC do?"

Having read countless JohnC posts about replacing old fasteners or the proper way to prep a piece of metal for a weld, when I am in the garage working on the car I often catch myself asking "I wonder if JohnC would approve of the way I am doing this?" I mean, it is not hard to find people who can tell you how something should be done, but I think it is rare to find someone who can actually back that up like John can.

So I decided to start a poll to see how many people have ever asked themselves "What would JohnC do?"

one time i was going to post pics of the suspension and brakes in the old 7m z.. and then i decided not to because i was afraid he would yell at me. plus i didnt want to disgrace moder-motorsports stuff with my near crap install. especially since my welds look a lot more like jb-weld piles than actual welds.

Don't get me wrong, from an engineering standpoint, what I do will work the first time. From either an esthetic or practical standpoint, it may be found lacking.

Kind of the difference between an engineer with a lot of HANDS ON experience versus one just out of school - the technical side is ok, but the practical/ease of use/efficiency that comes from experience is lacking.

But at least I'm thinking of it as I go along and get into it.

Since I don't work on cars for a living and never have, heck it's been over 30 years since I tore out and built my last engine, I just don't have that practical experience that is always in demand no matter what area of work you are involved in.

I DO try to think thinks out in advance - it's the anal programmer in me that requires it, but without a wealth of background, I simply fall short in envisioning sometimes.

BUT I'M LEARNING - STILL! And enjoy building and wrenching and soon - bodywork (last done 34 years ago) & painting.

Hey Brad, if you need help coming up with paint scheme ideas, you know who to call. I think my track record speaks for itself (hey, who threw that?! Doesn't anyone appreciate good art around here?! -silence- Fine! I'll just take my spray paint cans and go home.)

This is all too queer... and since I'm an admin, I voted more then once. :mrgreen: But I guess its a compliment, so thanks!

The question should be more like: "What would JohnC do after he's realized that what he just did f*&^ed up the part?" There have been (and will be) countless times where I've cut or welded something and then just stared at it for 5 minutes wondering what the hell I was thinking? There's a reason I don't like customers hanging around my shop watching me work - its like watching sausage being made.

one time i was going to post pics of the suspension and brakes in the old 7m z.. and then i decided not to because i was afraid he would yell at me.

That's funny. I strike fear into the hearts of people who work in their 240Zs... :fmad:

Hey John,

I had to vote "A little too queer...."

I noticed the people who know you the best all agree....

Seriously I have great respect for John and his capabilities.

I do think of what would Steve Link do, since he is my major competition in the same model car...

That's funny. I strike fear into the hearts of people who work in their 240Zs... :fmad:

haha, you know i got nothing but mad respect for you.. a half billion pm's about building theory from me im surprised you havnt just told me to go away. Everytime I think I have somethign smart to say, i run it past john to make sure im not completely stupid. i think thats how most of my pms to him end. i type out my idea and the finish with ".... or am i completely stupid?"

which he always follows with "well it depends" which is followed by several questions i didnt know i was going to need the answer too and i find myself back infront of the car going.. "ok.. so now i have to measure what?"