HybridZ

3.90gears and Precision Gear LSD installed

Drftn280zxt

Well finally I have the 3.90gears and Precision Gear 2-LSD installed in my R200, and my 280zx has awaken. The handling improvement is phenomenal, not to mention the traction and pick up off the line. Best investment by far that I have made in my S130. Leith280zlt1 did an awesome job rebuilding by R200. Grade "A" work. No grinding or whining what so ever. For future Z owners looking for an improvement in your differential I seriously reccommend Leith. Not to mention he'll give you one heck of great deal.

So, i recently purchased an r200 with 3.90 gears also.

I am looking to get an lsd unit.

I found Percision gears website and you got the "power brute" unit, correct?

I couldnt find any prices there.

I used the search function, and couldnt find too man answers to my questions, i did see alota crap about LSD clutches tho.

Can you give me some other people who sell LSD's for r200's?

Why did you decied on percision gear?

Do i need to know something before i get an LSD? are there multiple kinds on r200s?

I got mine from Reider racing. Somewhere if you search you'll find the write up. I'm pleased as punch. As noted above, the car just squirts out of the hole now and handling is at a whole different level. I kept the 3.54 gears that were in the '85 turbo diff. They are 12mm so did not require spacers and seem to be a good choice with the 3.50 first gear of the BW T5.

My car with 205 55 16's and the 3.54 turns 2500 @ 65 mph. Compared to the 4 speed and 3.36's, it's a highway monster. It actually loafs along enough where my underjetted accelerator pump circuit causes a hesitation when slightly increasing throttle as the road goes up and down.

Drftn, thanks for the good report man. I appreciate it. As for where to get these units, Precision Gear became Reider Racing. They still have their own website but they are owned by Reider Racing. The units they sell are the LOM59-12 unit. They have the same casting numbers on them as the stock /nismo unit's out of the '87-'89 300zxt's. I recently had a stock unit and they have the same casting numbers, and the same spring pressure. When I checked a new unit, it took about 85 ft-lbs of pressure to turn the clutch disks. Pretty good, but I do think it would wind up to be a little less once the unit was well broken in. Precision Gear is out of these differentials right now. It will be at least another month before they get any new units in from Japan. And there aren't any prices on their website, you have to call to get prices.

Leith, did you lube the clutch pack before you tested the breakaway? I did mine dry and I almost smacked my head on the vise when it broke loose. With lube = ~15 ft/lbs. You really have to disassemble the whole clutch stack and lube every disk, then you get ONE test, then have to disassemble again to do it right.

Next time you do one I'd appreciate it if you would take a picture of the cross pin shaft. I'm wondering if the diffs Precision Gear sells are the ones with the full clutch pack or the ones with the 3.25mm spacers...

• 1 month later...

I really dont have any road courses around here. Wouldn't mind taking it some where to race but, in reality leaving sonic with both wheels smoking and being able to turn in a parking lot is what I need. I have been hoping for the group buy on the Q,s but looks like its going more the twose threese thing. We were hoping for deeper discounts but....

Tell me more about your Brute.