HybridZ

my sub box

nismo kid

Guest markland556

no, you want the full sound waves towards you. In reality there is not soo much of a differance but they way he has it now will be perfect. You should incoperate an amp rack in there. Are those 5400's?? Just top it off with a nice set of Focal speakers.

im not a expert or anything, but in tests done in magazines it was proven that it was better to face them to the rear of the vehicle, ive build a lot of MDF boxes and they have always sounded better facing the rear. anyway back on topic it looks like your doing a great job and i cant wait to see the end result.

yeah i was goin to have them face the back but my cusco strut tower bar would have been in the way if (if i had them where i planned), plus i want to be able to just toss what ever in the back. oh on the subs they are mtx thunder 5500's.i will make sure to keep you guys updated i already layed my first coat of fiberglass down i'm goin to put about 2 or 3 more, then a layer of bondo to fill in little imperfections then its time to paint. i should be done with the fiberglass and bondo part by the end of the week i hope....(if work doesn't gets in the way:lol:)

From my experience working with audio pros in the automotive arena - Subs are not directional speakers like tweeters so it isn't required to aim (direct) them at the required height and angle for optimum acoustics. As long as the box that contains the subs are well built - it should be great sounding!

RacerX

I have to agree with RacerX.....usually the crossover point for subwoofers is under 400Hz and at those low frequencies the signal is omni directional. Also, a good solid and well damped enclosure with sufficient volume is a plus for better bass sound quality.

well since we have all the "sound guy's" in here let me piggy back and ask this. What is the advantage of inclosing the sub. I just cut out a hole in the lugage area around the spare tire area and mounted mine without an inclosure, sounds fine but just wondering, it does affect my triaxles some times since they are not inclosed either.

well since we have all the "sound guy's" in here let me piggy back and ask this. What is the advantage of inclosing the sub. I just cut out a hole in the lugage area around the spare tire area and mounted mine without an inclosure, sounds fine but just wondering, it does affect my triaxles some times since they are not inclosed either.

Sub enclosers act the same as a shock to help control the movement of the sprung weight (in this case, the cone of the speaker). On a shock we have compression and rebound valving, while a sub uses air pressure (both inside and outside the box) to control the cones movement.

Free-air subs (as the name implies) are designed for use without a specifically designed box, but rather just a baffle board sealing the frontal waves from the rear waves (these waves will cancel each other out and you'll have little to no bass). They are, by design, optimized for very large enclosures with little internal air pressure. In most vehicles it would be physically impossible to build a box of the size needed for this type of sub.

On the other hand we have subs designed specifically for use within an enclosure. I won't go into the different types of enclosures, but they can range from 1/2 cu. ft. up to 3 cu. ft. per sub. Some subs are designed for a specific type of enclosure, while others are more vorgiving and can be used in a variety of configurations (do-all subs). The manufacturers supply box volume requirements for enclosures for the enclosure as based on their testing this volume will provide the best performance with the given sub.

I personally prefer sealed enclosures as they tend to provide the cleanest, sharpest bass. Bandpass boxes are much more efficient (meaning less amp power is needed), but IMO the bass ends up a little muddy. Ported boxes are tuned for a specific frequency and will really thump at that frequency, but at other frequencies they suffer (this gets back into the wave length thing again).

Isobaric boxes can be built in any of these configurations, but IMO you don't get your money's worth with an ISO enclosure. In ISO, you're essentially mounting two subs face to face and wiring them out of phase. As one subs cone moves forward, the other subs cone moves backwards (remember, out of phase). This gives you twice the surface area moving air (back side of both cones), but you only see about a 25% increase in performance.

Back in the early 1990's while I was working in a car audio shop we built a Chevy Beretta that had 32 10" subs mounted in an ISO configuration (16 pairs). The enclosure took up the entire trunk and rear seat area of the car, and while impressive to look at the bass was nothing to write home about. When the SPL competitions started getting big in our area, the guy came back in and had us totally redo the system as he was getting stomped at the comps. We went with two 15" JBL subs in a simple bandpass box in the trunk and this setup put him back at the top of the heep (for a few weeks) until we did the 1990 Grand Prix with six of the 15" JBL's mounted in place of the rear seat facing forward (essentially a wall right behind the front seats), and three 3ft long EarthQuake amps kicking out 2000 watts a piece (1000w per sub). When cranked up, the sound pressure was so great in the Grand Prix that if you stuck your head in the window you would get a bloody nose.

I know some people are into that stuff, buy my favorite installs were the stealth installs. A pair of 10's or a single 12 tucked away in the trunk, mir-ranges tucked away, and tweeters optimally placed to get the best soundstage effect. Everything would be out of sight so the car looked factory and unaltered other than the head unit in the dash. Then again, I still subscribe to the K.I.S.S. rule...Keep It Simple Stupid.

Yeah,... clear accurate bass, and more louder bass are usually 2 diffierent things. Or are acheived by doing two totally different things. Plus there are many imbetweens.