HybridZ

Snake ID

jbc3

I live in west central Maryland and I back up to a ton of park land. Snakes are fairly common here, mostly black snakes, black rat snakes and garter snakes. There is a large creek behind the house, so it's prime for the little critters. I have one interesting snake that I have taken down the road a couple of times and "she" has returned a couple of times. Last year I found a couple of babies and yesterday I found another one. They are the most docile and friendly snakes. I have looked up the local snakes on line and seem to think it is a Kingsnake or Corn snake, but the colors are different than the pictures.

Any snake people here? Mostly I am just curious.

Jody

The top 2 pictures are of "mom" and the bottom 2 are the baby I found yesterday. Mom was about 4 feet long and Jr was about 12" long.

momsnake.jpg

momsnake2.jpg

babysnake.jpg

babysnake2.jpg

Looking at the various snake sites for snakes in Maryland, there seem to be a number of different snakes that resemble this one, Corn snake, Milksnake, Kingsnake and Northern Scarlet snake.. they are all very similar. Bottom line, it's not dangerous and since they have been around, I rarely get a mouse in the garage :-)

Ive always been a big fan of snakes. Glad to know you didnt bust out the big guns and blow the little guys up. Their harmless and will wipe out any rodents that come into the area, good to have them around.

Where-abouts in Maryland ya live? I was born in Annapolis, spent summers in Glen Burnie and Baltimore. Moving back there when school is out and I can locate a decent job.

I am in Damascus. East of Frederick, West of Baltimore.

My neighbor owns a mountian in central West Virginia where a bunch of friends go hunting a couple times a year. We rarely see any snakes out there... but 4 years ago, the one time I took the whole family out there, one of my daughters was standing at the peak and we were about 150 feet away setting up camp and she calls me because she says there is a really wierd noise up there. I ignored her at first, (I was busy unpacking the truck and setting up) but she kept calling me. So reluctantly I walked up to the peak and about 10 feet from her under a rock ledge was a fat 5' Timber Rattler Snake. That thing was loud! and not very happy we were there. Boy I felt dumb for not listening to her. 9mm w/ snake shot is very effective! About 2 hours later, another one wandered into the camp. Out with the 9mm again! Well that was the last time the wife and daughters ever wanted to go up there.... Funny, we have never seen another snake up there since. Go figure.

You know... I try to be open minded about nature and try not to just kill something I don't now anything about, but I must confess. I found 3 seperate recent snake hatching areas in my backyard last winter/spring. All questionably diamond heads (prominant jaw that was wider than the rest of the body) and I killed them all without hesitation. Maybe that was wrong, but I just don't like the idea of ratller's in my 1000 square foot backyard.

Then my neighbor has been having issues with gopher snakes coming into her garage. Now, a grown gopher snake wouldn't bother me too much, as long as it doesn't suprise me as I unknowingly remove it's sun cover (ie wood or some other random item).

I'll spare the life of a snake I find hardless, but sorry to the animal lovers for killing any and all rattlers I come across. They give me the willies man.

I almost stepped on this one about 3 months ago whilst doing a site survey in a creek at the bottom of a canyon. Gave me the shivers.....Southern Pacific Rattler. Froze in my tracks then slowly backed away.

Rattlesnake1.jpg

Yeah those Water Moccasins are no joke. Here in Florida they are common in wet areas. I came across a BIG one a couple months ago, several inches thick. This guy was in a public park and I more than likely would have killed it had I not been with some more "conservative" friends. Only thing is, if you're gonna swing a shovel or something at it, you better get it the first time! Pit Vipers are extremely aggresive.

Yeah those Water Moccasins are no joke. Here in Florida they are common in wet areas. I came across a BIG one a couple months ago, several inches thick. This guy was in a public park and I more than likely would have killed it had I not been with some more "conservative" friends. Only thing is, if you're gonna swing a shovel or something at it, you better get it the first time! Pit Vipers are extremely aggresive.

+1 Water Moccasins are not to be played with. Seeing one swiming while fishing will cause one to pack up and move.

Something that can kill you in a bite is an animal (Reptile in this case) that dies if he is aggressive towards me or others in my presence... If it's a rattler sunning itself on a rock in a national park, I'm leaving it alone and detouring my route. If it's something coming at me aggressively, Game on! :2thumbs:

Mike