HybridZ

Is It OK To Permanently Tilt The Engine Like This..Spacer Weld In.Pics

slownrusty

Guys I need to weld in a spacer that is 0.8in thick on my driver's side engine mount, so this will cause the engine to tilt more than the factory orientation. I need to do this so that my new larger T57 Turbo can clear my steering linkage, couple of questions:

1) Is this OK to do this?

2) Does this cause any stress strain say on the opposing engine mount (passenger side) or upset any of the other balance harmonics?

Here are the pics:

180658817.jpg

180655245.jpg

And here is a teaser of things brewing...:

180655266.jpg

Thanks a bunch!

Yasin

My take on those pics:

Thats so very little, I can't see it affecting anything....

I doubt you'd have to do anything with the trans mount. I'm sure it will flex that amount. BTW, was that pic taken with everything bolted up, then that one motor mount unbolted and raised that small amount?

If so, then that tells you right there, that small amount won't affect the other mounts.

Thanks for all the feedback and comments guys!! I am not worried about the re--orientation of the shifter.

J.S - Yes that pic was taken with everything bolted up and then the jack placed under the crank pulley to give me the clearance I needed.

KC - 1/4" isn't bad...but I am proposing something that is more than three times thicker than that, which is why I wanted to check first.

Regards - Yasin

A .8" change is a pretty big change. You're raising the engine a bit in front so its lowering the tail shaft some and changing the angle. That can affect the angles in the driveshaft and maybe add a vibration or cause the u-joints and/or the trans mount to fail earlier then normal. It also changes the oil level in the engine sump and the gear oil level in the transmission.

I was feeling good about welding in that 0.8" plate but now after JohnC's comments I am having strong second thoughts...I really do not want to change over the bellhousing on the tranny and run 720 pick-up mounts - I know this is Hybridz...but still.

I am this close -><- to ordering a new turbo that actually fits and getting rid of my nice new T57.

Seems like there are many varying consensus'

Confused!

Yasin

How about a combination of spacing the turbo and using a smaller motormount spacer? 1/4" seems to be working fine for KCelectronics, would that allow you to put another spacer on your manifold and solve the problem in a less drastic way?

I am heading out to the garage right now to figure that out! Damn non-cross flow design...I wish I could point the flange on the manifold up and out harm's way.

I'll check in tonight before beddy-by time

Yasin

Am I remembering correctly that the 720 pickups have the engine tilted over?

Do they?

I really do not want to change over the bellhousing on the tranny and run 720 pick-up mounts

what, a 720 has a bellhousing with the bolt pattern rotated and mounts to accomidate? I remember the IMSA GT1 turbo Zcar with the L28 tilted drastically

The only thing I would worry about is the driveshaft angle, and if that worried me I would measure the angle at the rear of the transmission with it in the stock location and with it tilted. If it was less than 2 degrees I would just run it, but that is me. At worse case put a .8 spacer on both engine mounts and the tranny mount, if that doesn't interfer with anything else. Then you maintain the same driveshaft angle and oil levels.

It just makes me giggle everytime I think about it, shimming the engine to fit in a big turbo, priceless

I am running large turbo with greddy header and I had compressor to engine mount clerance. What I had to do is shave my engine mount some and just run mesh cover instead filter. Been running it like that for about 2k miles and no problems at all. If you want I can snap picture or two of it since I am changing my in/ex gasket tonight and everyting is already taken apart.

Edit. I just realised that you are trying to clear steering linkage. Why dont you just get some small u-joints and change your steering linkage angle some.

.8" isn't that much out at the motor mount. If it were at the side of the oil pan it would angle it a bit more. As for driveshaft angle. Check it before and after. Probably less than 1* difference. I doubt it will be worse than mine and I have zero vibs. Stick a .750-1.000 block in there and see how much it changes before you do it permenatly.

Well guys I just got back from my fabricator (Great Great Guy!) - I took my head, intake, exhaust manifold and turbo to him - he kept laughing as I kept pulling cars parts out of the trunk of my Mazda....LOL!

This is the game plan....he is going to plane the turbo flange at an angle thereby clocking the angle of the turbo up towards the intake, but still giving me enough room to get a silicone coupling and hose clamp on there. I am going to do a little simple geometry tonight and see what that translates too!

This might just work....pics and follow-up this time, this place tomorrow.

X fingers for me!

Thanks for all the chime-ins and help and suggestions.

Yasin

P.S: Ivan I thought about running some new universals on my steering linkage but it seemed like more work and more messing. And can you post that pic anyway for grins?

P.P.S: Clifton and Moby thanks for your comments - very useful.

• Like 1