HybridZ

Subwoofer Rattles Car

surfsnake2

I have a 15" Sub in the back of my car and it is very irritating because it makes my hatch lock bounce up and down slightly which is a really annoying sound and im sure something else is rattling, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what I might be able to do to stop this hatch lock from bouncing.

Thanks

I understand your frustration. I think the main points have already been addressed. Rubber seals, would be the most effective imho, but another thing to think about would be some sound deadening material.

Or go to an extreme and take the lock out, rig a latch from the insided and fill the hole :)

Or an answer you probably don't wanna hear.......just turn the bass level down. It might not be the way you like to listen to it but it'll probably help you problem.

It's also possible the latch mechanism is worn, maladjusted, or just plain loose. Also the dried out old wire running to the window heating element can make an annoying noise. I have a rattle somewhere in the hatch, I think with the little "finger" on the pivoting part of the lock mechanism. My rattle is caused by awe-inspiring nerve-destroying bone-rattling horsepower, but a speaker might do it, too. =)

You have to remember that the z was made in the day when 8 tracks and hi-fi ruled! Here you go stuffing 450+watts of power in this 30 year old car, so you have to understand that low frequency sound waves posess alot more energy than high frequency sound. I can't believe that your stereo puts out enough power to move or rattle the rear hatch knowing how heavy it is to lift as it is. So, your basically overpowering the z! Accoustically the cars chassis and windows weren't designed to handle more than 4 watts rms per channel Hi-Fi!!

To suitably handle all that power some chassis reinforcement and strut bars and possibly bullet proof glass may be required. :D:lmao:

So the question really is how much power is too much for z to handle?

I think that some new rear molding and adjustment of the 30 year old latch is in order at a minimum. :cool:

Well, I think changing the rubber and adjusting the rubber will help, but the issue is with the lock mechanism itself (just re-read original complaint). You can try changing the little rubber "gasket" that sits underneath the lock. Good luck on finding a fresh one though. Maybe you can find a correct size grommet (and modify if necessary) the tighten the lock up.

Boy howdy.

You can tell that this was posted on a monday!

I have seen/heard brand new cars thumping and buzzing as they went by.

You know BOOM, BUZZZZ, BOOM, BUZZZZ.

Hell pull the latch out and throw it over your shoulder!!:mrgreen:

I mean there isn't much you can do to tighten up the hatch but to add new seal. Adjust the latch. Maybe even remove and shave down the upper latch loop to shorten it?

Or get some decent pipes and listen to that sweet song!!

I'm not bagging on ya, just teasing. Hell you should hear me go down the road in my Dodge. It has a factory unit in it that will blow the dust out of the cab and kills flies in mid flight!

Peace...

Personally I hate cars taken to that extreem, but to each their own. You could always put some eyebolts around the sub, and use tie down straps to hold the hatch down. Somebody looking in the back seeing all the straps holding the back of the car on, might be a little shcocked :) It would be good for visual effect, as well as a really cheap solution