HybridZ

Turbo envy....

BRAAP

• Administrators

While hanging around Dave Lum and John Kurzhals and their 12 second turbo street cars and Ron Tyler was building his mid engine Turbo L-28 Z, I found my self suffering from “Turbo envy”. All the while my daily driver is just a ’96 Infiniti Q-45, sort of quick compared to the local Honda’s, but not quite as quick as my buddies cars or any of my previous street Z cars.

Well it didn’t take long to satisfy this male craving for boost. Ten minutes on eBay and I secured the biggest baddest Turbo I could find, (I couldn’t be out done in by my buddies right?)

Ok, this mega turbo arrived and it is everything I had hoped. It is HUGE, it spins, axial and radial play is acceptable and everyone that lays eyes on it is green with Turbo envy… Even Dave Lum‘s eyes got REAL big when he stopped by today and took a peak at it…. (Heh heheh hehehe…)

A small problem did arise though. The turbo itself is just a shade over 60lbs in weight and right at 12” in diameter, just a skosh heavier and a smidge bigger than the typical puny turbos installed on L-6 Z cars, or Twin Turbo 510’s, (John K. and Dave L. respectively). Without some serious hacking on my project street car, I am having a hard time finding space for this incredible Turbo in the engine bay. Also, being as it just a tad heavier than those weenie little Turbos that John and Dave are using, am I going to need some sort of bracing, or framework just to support the Turbo itself?

Here are couple pics of my mega hair dryer next to an OE Turbo from a 280ZXT.

If I am not able to get this thing installed in a Z car, I’m sure I can find another use for this gargantuan Turbo… hmmm.. maybe turn it into a home built Jet Turbine project… Yeah that’s it….

Turb1Medium.jpg

Turb2Large.jpg

I concur, looks like one of the Cat Turbos.

I wish I had a digital photo of some of the Turbos I have crawled over....

48" and 54" inlets on Sulzer Inline Ship Engines (one for every three cylinders on the 12 cylinder unit I worked on in San Pedro). Think they were ABB Brand.

Have overhauled Elliott ET-18 (18" Diameter Turbine Wheels) as well as the Cooper line of turbos in the 1800 to 3300HP range.

But I got away form that "hot side stuff" and went into simple Turbocompressors for plain jane air compression and plant utilities....

Good god, last time I saw something that big, it was on a 12-liter cummins diesel, an engine about as big as my Z. Asside from massive turbo lag, you're going to need one heck of an enging to handle the boost that thing will put out flowing for 2.8 liters. Maybe mount it where the A/C compressor would go, attatched to the body, with flexable exaust hose up to the manifold.

Trying to feed that thing oil may end up needing an aux pump, perhaps a dry sump system on top of the existing pump. And I can only immagine the size of the blow-off valve.

A small jet engine built with that may be able to put out enough thrust to get you going faster...and save you the space problems under the hood...

You know Braap, you've got a real problem there I think!!!!

He's got several problems. What engine is he going to use to spool that up? Certainly not an L28ET. Hell of a conversation piece when you pop the hood. Just dont try racing anyone with it or be in a hurry moving away from a stoplight.

Paul - Did not realize you know Dave Lum - very cool. He featured my old FJ20 Datsun truck when he launched his website back in '96-'97 ish! I am not even sure if still on there or not. I know Dave and Michael Spreadbury keep in touch as well and I am good friends with Michael.

Serious Turbo there my friend!

Yasin

• Administrators
Paul - Did not realize you know Dave Lum - very cool. He featured my old FJ20 Datsun truck when he launched his website back in '96-'97 ish! I am not even sure if still on there or not. I know Dave and Michael Spreadbury keep in touch as well and I am good friends with Michael.

Serious Turbo there my friend!

Yasin

Small world… Yeah, Dave Lum is a close family friend. We also know Mike Spreadbury as well. Then you probably know Kelvin Dietz as well and Gary Savage. Kelvin just happens to be my Datsun Mentor and I hold him 100% responsible for allowing me to get this deep into these cars.

A little side story when Dave Lum, Mike Spreadbury, Ron Tyler, Myself and Cary McCalister all met for an Import Drag day at Woodburn drags strip in ’98. Dave brought his N/A VG30DE in his 510, Spreadbury brought his VG30ET 510, (Casper, broke a half shaft shifting into second gear),, Ron Tyler brought his LT-1 V-8 Z and I brought my V-8 Z. Cary rode up with Mike as a spectator. All in all it was fun day. This was my first trip to the strip with my V-8 Z and we all felt my V-8 Z was maybe worth a mid to high 13 second time slip as it was SO docile and easy to drive, it couldn’t be too fast. First run down the strip was a 12.4 at just over 110, beast was 12.3 @ 113. None of us could believe it as the car was just so docile and easy to drive.

Any how, Dave Lum is coming over tonight with an all stock ’78 280 Z for me to look over. He plans to sell it and being as Dave is a 510 guy, not a Z guy, he wants me to give it a once over to make sure it is “ok” to sell. I’ll tell him you said HI.

Get a big enough turbo, and it will be no restriction at all. Then just run N/A ITB's, and tell all the Honduh boyz you got "An N/A Turbo!"

The ultimate Ricer Mod: A turbo so big, hung on a high compression N/A Engine, but totally non functional in any way shape or form other than asthetic!

What direction is this board turning????

LOL