HybridZ

source for metric studs?

2003z

In Bryan Little's website, he says "TIP: On L28 heads you can install a 8mm x 1.25 45mm long stud in EVERY intake/exhaust bolt hole. This makes tightening the intake and header easy, as the studs allow you to really torque down without fear of stripping out the holes. Recommended, I've used them for years"

Does anyone have a source for these studs?

Joel, your oil pan came out beautiful!!!! Did you make it yourself? The workmanship is awesome.

Anyway, the 10 stud set is around $80, available from Jegs and several other places, part number 400-8023 . The 16 piece is around 130 and is 400-8033

Joel, your oil pan came out beautiful!!!! Did you make it yourself? The workmanship is awesome.

Anyway, the 10 stud set is around $80, available from Jegs and several other places, part number 400-8023 . The 16 piece is around 130 and is 400-8033

Thanks !! can you snap a pic to show it off?? :-D

Thanks !! can you snap a pic to show it off?? :-D

I wish I would have, but as soon as it cooled, I had my wife pack and ship it. I had to drop my cylinder head off on the other side of town and wanted to beat traffic. Post some pics when you get it friday. It really did come out nice though.

those are just the studs for the intake/exhuast side right? i am currently disassebling my 83 ZXT and all those are bolts, not studs like the other heads i have dissassebled.

would it be best to get new studs or bolts that came with it origionally? or were they replaced by the p/o?

those are just the studs for the intake/exhuast side right? i am currently disassebling my 83 ZXT and all those are bolts, not studs like the other heads i have dissassebled.

would it be best to get new studs or bolts that came with it origionally? or were they replaced by the p/o?

yes, it is recommended to replace the bolts with studs for better sealing.

You'll be hard pressed to beat the quality and strength of ARP studs. I installed a set of their SS studs (for the int/exh manifolds) on my N42. These studs are like jewelry....plus, on one end of the stud they provide a recessed hex drive for easy installation.

Tom

I can't emphasize enough to use antiseize on any exhaust hardware or any stressed bolt like the head bolts. You will find that even after 5 years on the exhaust, the bolts come off like they were put on yesterday. I used it on every bolt on my formula ford, and just about every bolt on my road cars too.

I've got a exhaust manifold and down pipe on my N/A with 381K on it now, and 10 years and 100K miles later, I just took them off and it was easier than just about any other bolt on the engine. Also, remember to torque down the bolts about 10% less since the threads are lubricated. It's too cheap not to use. Also, smearing a very small amount on the entire bolt/studs used on the super hot exhaust manifold will prevent them from rusting more than just a touch.

I have the ARP studs. Mine were only $110 from Summit but that was 3 years ago. And they are awesome. But they were special ordered since ARP had just introduced them so I had no price until the order arrived. I don't know that I would have bought them had I known in advance. But they do look cool. The L series motor has 17 studs, though. I left the Nissan one underneath the water neck since you can't see it from most directions.

Post some pics when you get it friday. It really did come out nice though.

Sure did turn out nice Mike. Hey guys, if you need some parts powdercoated, 2003z (Mike) can hook you up with some good quaility powdercoating here>>:burnout:www.thepowdercoater.com

Here is my custom Thagard rb26dett alum oil pan

click to enlarge;

27819152032.jpg

27819152053.jpg

27819152138.jpg

27819152134.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My exhaust stud kit.

This kit is one of my best sellers. This kit is comprised of 11 10.9 grade exhaust studs with a knuckle in the center to stop the stud from burying itself in the head and a nipple on the tip that is hex keyed to ease the installation of the stud and to help start the specialized nuts. The 11 specialized nuts that come with the kit are copper coated to resist corrosion and for ease of installation. They are flanged for a larger surface contact area and pinched for a secure lock that will not vibrate loose.

The quality is not skimped in any way so weigh in the price and it can't be beat.