HybridZ

Which spoiler works best?

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My personal preference is the bigger of the two whale tails, but that's just because I like the look. Seems like most of the race cars used the whale tail (280zx's anyway) in one form or another. There was a lengthy thread about aerodynamics and drag on S30s some time ago, but I don't remember anyone really getting too into the S130 besides mentioning it solved some of the problems inherent to the S30, and I want to say that most of the spoiler discussions I've seen focused on the duck bill BRE style.

My personal preference is the bigger of the two whale tails...There was a lengthy thread about aerodynamics and drag on S30s some time ago...

Yes, the whale tails are seriously efficient at producing downforce. As I remember the thread (one of 'em anyway) someone of note stated that getting the air to off the car as far back from the Z as possible was advantageous for aerodynamics--that means that a whale tail that protrudes from the back of the car will actually do a lot of good.

Davy

Avatar car looks like a raised up version of the larger spoiler, you can see the lip that runs all the way around its edge. Do you know anything about that car? what engine is in it that has a passenger side fender exit exhaust? Doesn't look like one of the big team cars, is it a privateer?

large501602.jpg

Check this out:

t_80_Nissan_280ZX_RaceCar_DV_05_BR_016.jpg

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z10214/Nissan_280ZX%20Race%20Car/default.aspx

Now THAT'S a spoiler...

You might get some downforce out of those whale tails, but the pressure drag you create will be enormous. There will be so much separated flow that didn't used to be there, that I don't know if you will gain anything.

What you really want is an inverse airfoil which creates negative lift.

I found this picture on the net real quick, but it makes things clear:

http://techcenter.davidson.k12.nc.us/fall013/1stgroup/airfoil.gif

You want that, but upside down. The best thing to do is to look up NACA series airfoils and pick one and determine how much "downforce" you'll create at whatever speed you intend racing at...and then make the thing out of fiberglass or cf.

If you guys want I might be able to get a scale model Z in the windtunnel....

I remember Olderthanme was trying to build his own miniature wind tunnel, and people were telling him he would have to pressurize it to some ludicrous pressure to compensate for it being miniature, or else accelerate his windspeed to a rediculous amount...would this situation be adressed with your scale model wind tunnel testing? If so, then by all means, git r dun!

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=111438&highlight=wind+tunnel

370 pounds of downforce at 100 mph

There was an article about the 1979 280ZXR in the Escape Roads section of the 6/9/03 issue of Autoweek that stated the following.

"The good news was the new ZX was cleaner aerodynamically than its predecessor. Like most cars, however, the 280ZX developed lift at speed, so Datsun racer Don Devendorf and John Knepp of Electramotive shaped a whale tail spoiler to press the car into the pavement. Racing rules being what they were, though, that big wing couldn't be used unless it was homologated--accepted as a standard-issue part on production models.

Homologation for IMSA meant 1000 units, and a cooperative Nissan obliged by producing exactly that number of special models with the huge tail. Officially a $399 option package, the special model was dubbed the 280ZXR and had a large 'ZXR' on the two-tone blue and black tape stripe down each side. Matching stripes went on the hood, and the only color available was silver mist. The cars were all the same, with no options save air conditioning. Not even alloy wheels were included.

The spoiler, made of molded rubber, was unpainted. The spoiler was the real deal, generating 370 pounds of downforce at 100 mph. Racers could buy the spoiler out of the Datsun Competition Parts Catalog."

When I bought this competition whaletail years ago (still not installed on my ZX), I remember the catalog suggesting that a front air dam be used with it for street applications.

John

Yeah, uh....that guy made a circular wind tunnel and didn't even know how to scale the velocity down. You need to use Reynolds equation...and circular test sections create all sorts of issues. The best thing to have is a square or rectangular test section. Plus, he doesn't have any screens or honeycombs to get rid of turbulent or angled air.

I don't know wtf they're on about the tunnel being pressurized. Most wind tunnels are below atmospheric pressure when they're running.

Anyways, I'm currently trying to do a project in conjunction with Dreyer's Ice cream to save their trucks around 5% gas on the highway. But I'll see if I can get some more time to throw a Z model in there.

Avatar car looks like a raised up version of the larger spoiler, you can see the lip that runs all the way around its edge. Do you know anything about that car? what engine is in it that has a passenger side fender exit exhaust? Doesn't look like one of the big team cars, is it a privateer?

large501602.jpg

Check this out:

t_80_Nissan_280ZX_RaceCar_DV_05_BR_016.jpg

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z10214/Nissan_280ZX%20Race%20Car/default.aspx

Now THAT'S a spoiler...

I used the first whaletale pictured on my car with decent success and I was able to power a 6cylinder car to above 160mph according to a stalker radar gun. I was also able to use the same setup with my 383 stroker/T56 combo cruising rock steady at 155mph. The only adverse affect was that the body seem molding where the spoiler sat on the hatch showed stress cracks.

I noticed ZERO loss in power with both power plants due to negative drag effect.

Mike

I don't think my HATCH could support that kind of downforce...

You're right, it probably wouldn't for long. But if someone were to make a support to transfer that force to the frame rails underneath... :D

Iceice9, your sig pic is too big. 600 wide x 200 tall max. The pics of the full size whale tail and the smaller version is pretty helpful though, so thanks for that! I like them both.

First of all, the whale tail spoiler will have virtually 0 drag increase.

This is due to it redirecting the air at the very back of the car upwards, and more effectively allowing the air going under the car to flow upwards and fill in the space behind the vehicle. This reduces the separated turbulent region behind the vehicle and reduces overall drag.

Refer to McBeath and or Katz and or any Nascar for further evidence of this.

If it were me, I'd be making a simple alu sheet angled spoiler for its tunabiliy. Easier to find the appropriate front/rear balance by extending the spoiler and or making it steeper.

Oh and as soon as a `spoiler' allows air flow between it and the car, as in that high/rear mounted 280ZXR, it becomes a wing. Wings work better higher as they receive cleaner air, and rearward because they place more force on the vehicle with a longer lever.

Get a proper wing multi-element wing, as well as a smaller wing placed very close to the car down low which even MORE effectively pumps the air upwards and out from under it. Oh and while you're there, full venturi tunnels would be the go. ;) I've just drawn up scale sketches for this on an S30, as well as designed radiator/intercooler/3 oil cooler placements and ducting. :)

Probably make the car slower.. hehe.

Dave