HybridZ

250 GTO Owners Thread

Duke

Anybody have any suggestions on where I might find rear reflectors. They would need to be about 3.25" (75-80mm) wide but the height can be no more than 1" (25mm) as I have limited space once I mount the tail lights. I would also be looking to have the chrome trim. When I see the prices I'm glad the OEM won't fit.

mudjr12 - looking at those indicators they appear to have a white backing gasket. I'm not sure how that would look on the car. The 250 GTO teardrop indicators were also use on some early 70s Lancia Fulvias, you might try looking there. I recently picked up a set on the Italian e-bay, also some Veglia gauges and a Nardi wheel. I had no trouble at all in receiving all the items. I used one of those free language translation web sites and/or asked some bilingual friends for help.

Thanks for the info on the side marker lights, I will follow up.

I know each one of these cars is a blank canvas for us to put in our best shot. New York requires backup lights, I didn't like the lucas style white lights, so I improvised with two tiny (1/4" strobes, placed outside of the red and amber lights. For the most part they are invisible until activated. I will follow up with some pics this weekend to get your opinions.

Thanks,

DJ

My V8 conversion is done, 700R4 tranny, dual exhaust, and sounds great. BUT, I AM TOO CLOSE TO THE GROUND. I need to raise the suspension about 2 inches. I have already gone from the Z car 14" wheels and 24 inch tires to the 15 inch wire spoke rims and 27 inch tires.

There seem to be a lot of suspension lowering threads but I have not found a suspension raising thread for Z cars.

Can I cut the lower coil spring retainer bracket and re-weld 2 inches higher? Should I replace the coils with longer coils, if so has anyone know which ones to use? Some of you may have experienced this. Thanks for your feedback, I am really stuck on this one.

DJ

Although you do not say so it sounds as if the problem is just at the front. Am I right? If so here are some comments that may help.

If you have increased tyre diameter 3" and are still 2" too low then it sounds as if the car has sunk 3 1/2". This seems an awful lot but is not impossible if the changes have increased weight at the front. If you just reposition the spring base you will still have 2 problems -1 when the car goes over a bump the springs may become coil bound and solid (disasterous handling) -2 The springs are still weak (spring rate) relative to the heavier load they are carrying.

You need someone who can make new springs. Measure the length of the current springs when under static load. If you then take them to someone with reasonable knowlege or a spring rate tester, he will be able to calculate what is needed in terms of rate and free length, to give a static loaded length 2" longer. You may also need to uprate your dampers to a stiffer setting to control the dynamic movement of the heavier weight

Got measurements last night, and have started looking for possible replacement springs. Advanced Auto is willing to work with me, tg, and order a couple of combination of springs. I am not sure how old the donor is, but the springs don't look to meaty. The biggest problem I had after the V8 conversion, was finding mufflers (duals) small enough to provide performance and the right sound, and still fit under the car. I could not mount them too far back because of the fuel tank.

Here's a good link to the real thing. there are many pages to look at and you'll see that there wasn't any two built the same. I also included a picture of the taillights.

http://www.web-cars.com/gto/ferrari_index.php

http://www.web-cars.com/gto/up_close_f-gto-3729.php

http://www.web-cars.com/gto/photo.php?photo=135-20A_a.jpg

Staledale

Yes,I know that no two were the same. I just did not think the tail lights varied.

I had a ride in the 1962 GTO, s/n 3705 GT (shown in staledale's provided links) in the 1980's. Was owned by a guy in Illinois at the time. A friend of mine finished the restoration of it back then. I am going to ask him next time I see him about the lights. (if i remember that is).

Hey srgunz. I thought you might be correct on the placement of the tail lights. Amber above red. Like the Scorpion car in the pic you've included above I've also reversed mine. For 2 reasons. #1 The brake lights sit higher and are more visible from behind, no third brake light either. #2 I have a set of original tail lights and would have had to cut the weather proof casing because of clearance issues (too deep).

Then I viewed the photos, thanks for the links staledale. I was happy to see that they did come with red over amber.

Regards.

By the way, I was in Wallyworldmart today and was looking thru an old cars for sale magazine. Cannot remember the name now.

There was a finished V/R GTO roadster kit put on a 73 240 chassis for sale. It had a phone with a 909 area code listed.

I figure you GTO guys know the car. You seem to have a handle on where and who owns most of them.

Heya guys... I had a humbling experience today... a few days ago a professional took some pics of our car in and around Chicago for something that is coming up - I can't tell ya details yet till the end of July, but the humbling part is seeing how much better a professional is at photos than a rank amateur like me.

These are lower res shots..... holding back on more till they put them out - these are essentially just a couple proofs they gave us as a preview :)

Chelle

_DSC0047.jpg

_DSC0081_2.jpg

So long guys and best of luck with all your builds - I found 'my' car in the end, it's just not a GTO though. It is from the same stable and decade of endurance racing though - a Ferrari P4 replica - picking it up on Friday and can't wait.

Best, Scott

Wow 250gto_au, pontiac power!! That's the first pontiac powered z based car I've seen :), looks great!

Smash, no need to run off totally, keep us updated! I know quite a few P4 replica owners, beautiful cars, which P4 replica you doing?

Chelle