HybridZ

Differential Cooler Oil Pump

Mayolives

I really don't know what pump design is best...

Frank 280ZX,

I even have a part number for the Nissan pump... but no one I have spoken with could ship me a pump... I doubt there are rebuild parts available, and I do not know how their pump functions...

sportsoptcataloguediffcooler17.jpg

Sport20Option20cat20-20Oil20coolers.jpg

Nissan20Sport20race20manual20-20Dif.jpg

worksr20072atmh016cy.jpg

Thanks to Alan for providing these pictures in an earlier discussion...

The pumps I have suggested are designed for this use... they use pistons and diaphrams with check vales to pull and push heavy fluids relatively well... they are positive displacement types(will pump air until they draw oil)... the Tilton pump is rebuildable and offers optional diaphram materials for special uses.... It is also less than $200 and shipping is minimal here in the USA...

Hmm.. It seems like it might be hard to beat the Tilton/Mocal/Genesis designs for this purpose....

Lets think about some things...

1. The gear oil will be hot... considerably hotter than boiling water...

2. There are metal particles in the oil... granted you could filter them out...

3. There will be some foaming of the oil... some designs are better than others at pumping foam...

4. Anti drainback characteristics... considering you may not be able to mount everything at the oil level...

5. Current draw... <10amps would be nice...

6. Size, weight, and complexity considerations... the marketed Diff cooler pumps all have built in cooling fans... A pump that could be exposed to water and road debris would be nice... I think the Tilton and others need to be protected from the elements... major mounting drawback

Damn... that's fugly (the oil cooler). I'm sure it's mounted there for air flow but surely it could be mounted somewhere hidden and a fan used for cooling instead??

That looks like more of a Japanese styling accent than a good place to put the cooler. Ever seen those Japanese cars with the oil cooler lines that go out the grill to a cooler mounted on the front bumper? That seems like what we've got here, form over function. I wouldn't put it there on a race car because it hangs down too low for one and it's very exposed to any minute impacts in the rear for two.

I agree with the funneh placement.. but that is one cool car...

You can't see the front of the cooler mounting bracket in those pics... I think there is another pic of htat car I cannot find... as I recall there is a grill in front of the cooler...

The red car looks like a really fine car with the oil cooler mounted in poor location. Lots of bad things could happen to a cooler mounted there. Including, but not limited to rear impacts (even minor), damage due to road debris, problems caused by loading and unloading car on trailer, etc etc. A better place might be tucked up and under the rear quarter panel and rear of the fuel cell/tank.

The stock oil cooler from the eurospec turbo is available from Courtesy nissan in Texas for $400. But the part number from the old works Rally prep catalog is not the same part number, though the pump looks identical.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=CP&Category_Code=s30_nismo_diffoilcooler

I had Frank source one for JeffP, and Jeff took it all apart, cleaned it all up---this was form a used vehicle, and according to Jeff the inside was intact---basically he wasted his time taking it down.

These pupms are availble today as they are on all the GTR's as well. Current shopping in any Japanese junkyard should turn them up! LOL

I had a nice example in my checked baggage coming back from Europe earlier this year. TSA decided they needed it more than I did, and stole it from my baggage. Leaving the Eurospec .82AR exhaust housing and Turbo Manifold alone. But that oil pump? Poked a hole in the box and stole that thing!

Got the letter months later "Sorry, it was an electronic component, we are not liable for any electronic components in checked baggage". License to steal. In over 20 years travelling I never had ITEMS missing from a bag---may have lost a whole bag, but never had items missing from inside...until the government gave carte blanche for people to "inspect" my baggage and then set up a system where there is no accountability for the bags each individual inspects... Rant Over.

That is some nice info Tony D... I forget to plow through the NISMO stock every now and then.. I pretty much wrote it all off long ago... over priced and understocked... but they do have some neat items still...

It would be nice to see some pictures/description of the internals of the stock pump if you have them available...

the NISMO pump is more than twice the cost of the tilton pump... the tilton pump also has affordable parts available...

The NISMO pump offers one HUGE advantage over the Tilton and others... It appears to be the only pump available that was designed for weatherproof, under-chassis mounting... The Tilton types have motor cooling fans... That usually means they should be placed in a protected location...

• 2 weeks later...