HybridZ

Audi R10 Diesel Engine

RacerX

So when are they ever gonna start making diezel oops (guitar palyer syndrom) diesel motors here in the USA? I mean over in the UK you can get nearly any car in a diesel option. They burn cleaner, get better mpg, and can be more powerful (especially for SUVs and such where tourque means much better responce).

The only thing I can think of is that maybe companies are taxed for putting out diesel motors in the usa or something. Why else would all these companies not have a diesel option?

And I honestly can't wait to see a real production diesel muscle car. That would be cool.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe companies are taxed for putting out diesel motors in the usa or something. Why else would all these companies not have a diesel option?

Not taxes, American smog laws. But from what I understand they have reformulated diesel fuel in so maybe we can expect to see more American diesels.

They stink... I have owned several diesel vehicles...

Mercedes 300TD, VW Jetta TDI, 2 trucks, and a Volvo 240D

They were all great cars except the trucks... among the most reliable I have ever owned... but they stink... smell bad stink...

American car companies are the ones responsible for giving diesels a bad rep... they never developed a diesel engine.. they just converted gasoline engines... they were idiotic designs... totally unacceptable... but I find any vehicle made in america Totally UNacceptable

but I find any vehicle made in america Totally UNacceptable

I could have excused this entire comment if you'd just said you found MOST american vehicles unacceptable.

I'm not going to argue that we americans have all sorts of amazing vehicles, becuase I know that a very high percentage of what we produce here is utter garbage.

But there are many cars that are worthy of being made and have received high praise from people around the world. The new C6 corvette is probly at the top of the list for america. The ford GT though now ending production was well regognised as a very impressive vehicle and could hold it's own with many super cars of similar and even higher value. The new GM roasters are taking on the world like they're on a mission and though albet not perfect they're having a fun time showing the competitors there's a new game in town.

I'm as prideful as most americans. But I'm also not one that thinks that our cars are amazingly awsome. I'm just not someong pig-headed enough to make blanket statements that would dismiss that nearly 300 million people can't make a good car.

Granted I'm sure i've said some idiotic things in my past that I wouldn't mind rectifying if called upon. Maybe you'll do the same, maybe you won't. Frankly I don't really care, this is more about making a statement than trying to convince you.

Take care

Oh, and to be on topic. I understand that the usa wouldn't want diesels on the road becuase they're not smogged currently, but how does that effect companies from producing diesel cars? I'm not saying anyone is wrong, I'd just like to know.

(bjhines)American car companies are the ones responsible for giving diesels a bad rep... they never developed a diesel engine.. they just converted gasoline engines... they were idiotic designs... totally unacceptable... but I find any vehicle made in america Totally UNacceptable

This means that you find that 90% of current Nissan and Toyota products unacceptable,

Not to mention anything made by Jaguar, Range rover, Aston Martin, MG, and Saab.

I guess that also every boeing aircraft, every Cessna, and every mack truck, etc.

Maybe America would still be on top in this regard, even to people who feel this way, if we wouldn't have GIVEN our technology to just about everyone else, then let them build it for them.

Yes, America did get complacent in the late 70's and tried to stick to old ways, this is what befell Bethlehem Steel, and our cities are paying the price for this, but remember that Nissan had trouble changing thier ways, too. Until 2001, when Carlos took over the company (with it's good and bad things to go with it) they hadn't made a significant profit since 1978, due to all the kickers to the upper management.

And america can make a good diesel. What about the Cummins or the IH diesels? Just because the olds "diesel" wasn't....dude you're so stereotyping here.

Oh well that's my rant, I'm not puttin you down, just saying "Dude, think before you post something like that!" The Germans had thier fair share of F$%Kups too.

Btw, I've seen LOTS of awesome american cars.

The only problem is....you can't get them in America.

Vehicles such as the Ford Falcon, the Focus (america still has the old model),the Holden Commodore and Ute, just for starters. THese vehicles make me want to move to Australia. These vehicles are also affordable to the average consumer, unlike the C-6 (though you do get a lot for the money in the C6)and the GT.

How messed up is that?

Talk about American legislature messing things up!

Well.. the current situation with American car companies shows me that they have not leared ANYHTING from their ordeal in the 1970s...

Allison, Cummings, IH and others do not sell ANYTHING in the consumer market... AT ALL... International Harvester is just a trademark now... they have been passed around the world several times... I used to work for North Carolina Equipment company.. the same thing is happening in the commercial market.. IMPORTS RULE the construction equipment world...

The very fact that they cannot compete in the world market should be enough proof... Mark my words... without congress backing them up with tarriffs on imports... they are doomed in the consumer market... they are already dead... just on life support... it is only going to be a few more years before someone pulls the plugs...

The US doesn't get diesels because of the smog laws. Partly the US has had higher sulfur fuels than Europe that made them smell bad, but now the new smog laws are the same for gas and diesel. The high compression of the diesels makes for high NOx, and particulate emssions have to be dang near zero.

It will be difficult for Audi to overcome the weight of this engine. The latest Audi TDI 3.0 L (183 ci) V6 weighs 220 kg (485 lb) and the 4.2 L V8 255 kg (256.2 ci, 562 lb) but their blocks are made of CGI iron. The V12 is rumoured to weigh upwards of 200 kg,[4] Audi engineers admit that the weight per cylinder is the same as the precededing 3.6-litre FSI V8 of the Audi R8.[5] The wheelbase has been increased over the R8 to 2980 mm to account for this. This is unfavorable against the 130 kg (287 lb) of a concurrent Judd V10, and even the 180 kg of the Ricardo turbodiesel prototype based on it.[6]

Not sure why you think this is relevant or that Audi cares. It is a mid-engine car and if I know Audi, close to the minimum class weight. Car is a winner right out of the box.

I appreciate the technology, but as a race fan, if this is the future of road racing, I dont like it. "Sounds" like a soap box derby car on steroids :D :D Thank goodness the Judd is becoming more popular, there is hope of a 4-rotor, Zytek will be back and Porsche will have customer cars soon. I like to have my eardrums bleed when I am at the track. Coming out of turn 6 at Road Atlanta and climbing towards the overpass is one of the greatest spots to hear how loud and powerful these race cars are and even there, the R10 was inaudible :D :D