HybridZ

Born from Jets? #$&!

John Scott

More like from a bunch of whacked-out crack smoking idiots. I have never worked on a more poorly designed bunch of chaotic weirdness in my life. Finesse, simplicity, and efficiency must be the antithesis of Saab engineering. Avoid Saab 900 Turbos like the plague! There...I feel better.

I dont mean to hijack but the car ads are sometimes plain silly...if not entertaining.

I just read an ad in Car and Driver for the Subaru STI.

This is what it says: "When you go 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, you don't need a character called fast."

LOL Obviously poking fun at VW's "My Fast" ad campaign.

Before I got my Z I was soo close to getting a saab 9000 turbo...for free. Then a tree got dropped on it.

Some guys are just luckier than others. I'd love to watch mine get dropped in a crusher. Saab story?? :D:D good one, Jon! Saab "engineer" to another: "look at all this room in front of the engine...hey I know! lets put the pullies, AC and alternator on the back (!) of the engine and then cram it against the firewall.." " But won’t that make rubber belts prone to failure impossible to change?” “You big weenie, Do I look like a mechanic?” ".OO, OO! and run lots of rubber lines under the manifold, and put the most neccessary bolts behind numerous brackets, and make the simple rear discs hard to replace by adding an adujster nut thingy. Here, have another shot of Slivovitz, har har!"

Three speed automatic..in ‘91?? Born from Jets? What kind of jets were they building? Saab navigator to Saab pilot: “Dude, they’re gaining on us, hit the afterburner already.” Pilot says “I did, man, like five seconds ago. It’s a “JET” thing..called turbine lag.” “But that thing has a propellor...and two wings.. and its passing us. I think he threw some strudel in the intake.” "Oh, snap, we're going down, try the ignition,...now where's the friggen key again?" That's just the beginning of the madness. Nordic winters must be long.

Thats some funny $hit, havent heard an obsolute bust about Saabs. All though my friend has one and i keep on telling him what a great car and blablabla about it and every time i ride with him i hit my knee against the glove box all the time. Gets me so mad, just like the BMW 5 series allways him my leg or my knee when getting in or out.

Saab%20Viggen%2037E_2.jpeg

Ahhhh, but they do come from the same company that builds jets! :mrgreen:

My father bought a SAAB 99 in 1972, long before fuel injection was the norm on any car---the SAAB had it and it ran like a champ. It was great in severe weather (front wheel drive) and it did well where we lived in Lake Tahoe. The thing even had heated washer nozzles and all kinds of things you find today on "modern" cars. I think they were before their time back then.

I agree that the reverse/backward engine placement is strange and makes for some seriously difficult maintenance. All in all, I'm glad I don't own one. When I sold Volvos years ago, I met a few Swedes that said, "SAAB is a very strange solution to a simple problem." I'll never forget that.

Davy

John, you've got me laughing out loud as well - thank goodness no one else is up yet.

Many years ago I was thinking of buying a 9000. While on a test drive, I was on a 4 lane road, downshifted into 2nd, and at readline, shiffted quickly to 3rd. I guess the combination of torque steer and the slop in the front transaxle mounting all worked against me and the car moved at least 2 feet to the right without any movement of the steering wheel. I was inches away from side swiping the poor guy on my right.

I immediately drove back to the dealer and let them clean the seat.

I hate the newer Saabs but the SPG and the earlier 99 and 900 Turbo models I thought were ultra coool. Back in the '80s they had more technology in their motors than Porsche...twin cams, 16V turbo.

Unusual shapes but pleasing to my eye (the new ones are rubbish!) i love the 900 SPG

pearlspg.jpg

LMB_6152.jpg

jeffs900spg_stor.jpg

ole skool fun:

01.jpg

Yasin