HybridZ

Six Motorcycle Carbs

cygnusx1

Wow, I really like that alot. I wonder how much tuning one would have to do to get all of those carbs running correctly...and how much a setup like that would cost. I bet it sounds wonderful. If he is starting a shop in maryland, I will be paying him a visit. I could go for a 12 sec carbed car.

Wow, I really like that alot. I wonder how much tuning one would have to do to get all of those carbs running correctly...and how much a setup like that would cost. I bet it sounds wonderful. If he is starting a shop in maryland, I will be paying him a visit. I could go for a 12 sec carbed car.

His setup sounds awesome 7500rpm shifts, tuning wasn't an issue but you won't find another setup like that anywhere else in the states. I am sure he will offer it on his site but will be some $$$$.

Is there supposed to be an advantage over traditional Mikunis?

Usually the point is to use slide valve carbs for throttle reponse. I can't imagine there being any difference, other than cool factor, if you used normal butterfly type carbs. I've been curious about this one for a while. It sure looks cool. Is there a performance advantage? It's the the thing to do in Japan, but so is putting 195 tires on 9" rims...

He did it because of efficiency, plus they sound really cool.

Did he mention what about the motorcycle carbs makes them more efficient? I have to imagine the sound is going to be pretty similar. 6 open holes through which you can see the intake valve either way.

Not trying to bust anyone's chops, just would like to know if there is REALLY a difference, or if it just looks cool. I do think it looks cool, for what it's worth.

JM,

As explained to me by a friend who builds dwarf cars.

If they are flat slide carbs, they open like a guillotine*sp*.

Shafts and butterflies are not there, and threrefore do not obstruct/ disturb the airflow through the intake at full throttle.

Mike.

Did he mention what about the motorcycle carbs makes them more efficient? I have to imagine the sound is going to be pretty similar. 6 open holes through which you can see the intake valve either way.

Not trying to bust anyone's chops, just would like to know if there is REALLY a difference, or if it just looks cool. I do think it looks cool, for what it's worth.

Jon,

The one thing that I liked when changing the needles was the slotted adjustments with the use of a "c" clip. He said the needles come 96, 97 and 98 sizes. Then you have 5 or 6 adjustments on the top for the needles to seat using the "c" clip in the carb body. Also when he changed the mains after the first run the carbs are held to the manifold by 6 worm drive style clamps. After removing the fuel rail ends, the fuel rail and all 6 carbs come off as one unit.

That’s Eiji on the right and me on the left:

IMG_6691.jpg

The other point I forgot to mention about slide valves is progressive throttle response. Butterfly valves are pretty much logarithmic in their opening (cracked open, little more open, little more, then BAAM WFO...). A slide/gate valve maintains flow velocity better through it's range of operation, compared to a butterfly. I imagine part throttle metering is improved. This is probably what Elji is getting at with the "efficiency" statement. They also do not have the flow disturbances of throttle plate and shaft.

My old roommate (RIP), used to wax poetic about slide valve racing carbs he used on bikes. The throttle response is right there- right now. I never rode any of these bikes, but they certainly seemed to rev quicker when cracking the throttle.