HybridZ

As requested, my Bedliner restored Dash

HoustonZ

Well I have about 3 dashes and consoles, I'll have to try doing this over the thanksgiving holiday. Thanks for all you help cold fusion. BTW since I will be experimenting to do know of a coating that is cheap I can play with?

Try the SEM product ones i have used them all and its the best.

Paulo.

Check out this thead from

ClassicZcars.http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23919

I was impressed with the finish being so close to original! Much better looking than the bedliner (although, I have to admit, the bedliner dash was a good idea and not as bad as I would have imagined!!)

Regards,

Astrohog

• 2 years later...

Outstanding. The shine went down and now its a nice matte finish. The only problem came from me taking out the dash by myself multiple times. It cracked a little bit from the stress, but that was totally my fault for not supporting it properly. The UV will fade this over time, but it still looks great and will never crack on its own.

That's neat as hell!

As I need to get a spray-in for the Dually, I'm going to have 'a little something extra' for the boys at Line-X to shoot. I'll see if they will throw it in as a freebie. If they won't, I'll tell them that 'the other guys will, I guess I'll go there then!'...

If only this was posted when I had the wife's Frontier done, I'd have a nice dash in the turd now! LOL

To minimize future cracks, a possible solution might be to layer in some light weave fiberglass cloth over the entire dash, when using the filler. Or, instead of using a filler, try a resin or polyurethane instead. Then shoot it with bedliner.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I wonder if I can repair my dash like this.

though mine looks like a total basket case

DSC07533.jpg

It's hard to tell, but the chunk missing out of the middle is a huge crack going the full length of the dash, basically splitting it in two. I think if i do go about repairing mine I will have to use fiberglass weave to reconstruct that chunk.

It's hard to tell, but the chunk missing out of the middle is a huge crack going the full length of the dash, basically splitting it in two. I think if i do go about repairing mine I will have to use fiberglass weave to reconstruct that chunk.

Look at it this way: you'll be hard-pressed to make it any worse :) Mine's even worse off than yours is, and I'm strongly considering this. I kind of want to see what the frame of the dash looks like by itself.

I have been tossing this idea around as well. Now seeing the pics I dont see why someone wouldnt try it, if your dash is already cracked your not getting it any worse. Then if you still dont like it buy a full cover or a new dash.....I think its worth a try.

Look at it this way: you'll be hard-pressed to make it any worse :) Mine's even worse off than yours is, and I'm strongly considering this. I kind of want to see what the frame of the dash looks like by itself.

i say that before every "fix" i attempt!

What's the going price of a 280z dash anyway. I have one that I don't need, but I kept it because it's in super good condition. Just has a bit of over-spray from a door jamb paintjob that I can remove easily with non-volatile/non-solvent cleaners.